Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Sounds like my clutch is falling a part! O_O

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sounds like my clutch is falling a part! O_O

I've got about 77k on my 05. Ever since I bought the car (used at 50k), reverse has been a little off (if i don't play with the stick a little before goin to R, it grinds).

I've also done a couple of good burnouts (which I shouldn't have done ), and got stuck in mud and had to bust out the rev's (got to 60mph in 3rd without moving an inch).

Well, my c pedal feel is stiff now, and I get a little squeak when I push down.

When I let off the pedal, but before giving enough gas to rev up, it sounds like I get a lot of clanking from what I think is the pressure plate. When I hit a bump in the road, I get a similar "metal" clanking sound from the clutch area, like something is loose.

Will replacing the clutch fix the problem?
What can I do to fix the syncro on R?
Old 03-15-2009, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. there probably isn't a synchronizer on reverse. i'm not 100%, but on the tc, reverse is an unsynchronized, square cut gear, so if you try to engage it while moving at all, it grinds.

replacing the clutch and flywheel might fix it.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whenever I hit Reverse, I'm always at a dead stop, with the brake mashed in... thats why ithe grinding troubles me.

Does anyone know if the TRD clutch is a worthwhile investment and replacement?

Should I go with OE Flywheel, or go the lightweight route?

Sorry bout all the Q's.... But I'm hopin to get some good A's!
Old 03-15-2009, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

trd clutch is overpriced for what it is. there are plenty of good choices for aftermarket clutches, just don't buy some ebay brand piece of crap.

depending on the condition, you can either buy a new oe flywheel, or have the one you got resurfaced. a light weight flywheel is a fun upgrade, but it can make moving away from a stop alittle harder because the car can stall easier.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks a bunch for the info man
Old 03-21-2009, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
1. there probably isn't a synchronizer on reverse. i'm not 100%, but on the tc, reverse is an unsynchronized, square cut gear, so if you try to engage it while moving at all, it grinds.

replacing the clutch and flywheel might fix it.
There isn't a synchronizer for first ger and reverse, the reason why you get that "grind" is because the reverse gear is straight cut, whereas the rest of the gears are diagonaly cut gears and are meshed together, reverse gear is not. When you shift into reverse try moving the shift lever into 4th before going into reverse (do this while the clutch pedal is pressed).
Old 03-21-2009, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats explains alot thx. I figure my problem is the throwout bearing, cuz I press the clutch and I get a nice "SQUEeeeeeeAK" from under the car.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Originally Posted by FlakoFigZ
thats explains alot thx. I figure my problem is the throwout bearing, cuz I press the clutch and I get a nice "SQUEeeeeeeAK" from under the car.
From under the car as in "easily heard from outside the car?" or under the car as in "from under the dash?"
Old 03-22-2009, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

both. under the dash, like theres a straining cable. outside the car, one can hear it, like a squeaking door.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For starters get a grease gun and give it a good squeeze on the rubber covered nipple under you intake manifold. Ask a friend to push the clutch in you will find the place.

I don't know much about clutches but I know how to fix the squeak when pressing the pedal.

Looks like a rubber boot kind of like an accordion and 2 cylindrical metal things haha.

Its under the intake mani right behind the radiator.

Then see if you can actually hear the clutch once the squeezing sounds is out of the question
Old 03-26-2009, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your thinking of the slave cylinder
Old 04-01-2009, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Originally Posted by DeiselFuel2o2
For starters get a grease gun and give it a good squeeze on the rubber covered nipple under you intake manifold. Ask a friend to push the clutch in you will find the place.

I don't know much about clutches but I know how to fix the squeak when pressing the pedal.

Looks like a rubber boot kind of like an accordion and 2 cylindrical metal things haha.

Its under the intake mani right behind the radiator.

Then see if you can actually hear the clutch once the squeezing sounds is out of the question
Um... that nipple is where the clutch fluid is beld out from, you're not supposed to force grease into it. Nice try.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Try this... Start the car, make sure its in neutral with the hand brake up. Open the door, and sit on the floor outside of the car so you can stick your head under the dash, and push the clutch pedal with your hand. Can you easily hear the squeak? Is the noise coming from where the clutch pedal is attached to the firewall? If not get a friend to sit in the car, start it, keep it in neutral, hand brake up, and have him mess with the clutch pedal, try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Re: Sounds like my clutch is falling a part! O_O

Originally Posted by FlakoFigZ
I've got about 77k on my 05. Ever since I bought the car (used at 50k), reverse has been a little off (if i don't play with the stick a little before goin to R, it grinds).

I've also done a couple of good burnouts (which I shouldn't have done ), and got stuck in mud and had to bust out the rev's (got to 60mph in 3rd without moving an inch).

Well, my c pedal feel is stiff now, and I get a little squeak when I push down.

When I let off the pedal, but before giving enough gas to rev up, it sounds like I get a lot of clanking from what I think is the pressure plate. When I hit a bump in the road, I get a similar "metal" clanking sound from the clutch area, like something is loose.

Will replacing the clutch fix the problem?
What can I do to fix the syncro on R?
Alrighty, the sound you hear when you put the clutch in and it squeaks is from the clutch fork attached to the transmission just like "DeiselFuel2o2" wrote. Thats one problem fixed.

The reverse gear grind is normal as everyone has said. No synchro's and straight-cut gears will do that. That why you hear that loud whine when you move the car in reverse, its due to the gears. Thats your second problem fixed.

As for the clanking noise in your clutch the answer is: THROW-OUT BEARING, no doubt in my mind. It happened to me but i changed the clutch because i was going turbo and the problem was resolved.

From what i see you have your issues fixed with these quick tips. Now the clutch is going to be the most expensive part is you do decide to install something a bit more aggressive. If your car has I/H/E combo i would stick with the OEM clutch and just replace the bearing. On the other hand since they have to pull your transmission anyways, might as well do the switch to a better clutch. Its pretty much up to you and your wallet
Old 04-01-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys.

And thanks Jsosa, haha I knew a fellow boricua would clear things up. Pa que tu lo sepa! jajaja

Once I have enough dough to fix things up I'll start the thread up again