Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   Strup Universal Muffler (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/strup-universal-muffler-49384/)

designed24 02-25-2006 07:09 PM

yeah that is the xB axle back, not the universal muffler.

GloriousMidget 02-25-2006 08:40 PM

The xB axle-back and the universal muffler both sound pretty similar from what I have heard. It has a pretty aggresive sound and just a tad on the loud side for my taste, but it sounds wonderful so I don't mind it at all. The silencer will quiet it down if you are worried about volume. Always has a smooth deep tone at all RPMs, never raspy or buzzy

vintage42 02-25-2006 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by GloriousMidget
The xB axle-back and the universal muffler both sound... just a tad on the loud side... The silencer will quiet it down if you are worried about volume. Always has a smooth deep tone at all RPMs, never raspy or buzzy

What is this "silencer"?

GloriousMidget 02-25-2006 11:22 PM

It's a baffle that you can take in and out of the muffler to quiet it down
Here is a pic from a different muffler:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...ITANIUMTIP.jpg

The strup universal muffler includes a silencer, but I don't think the Strup axle-back for the xB does

designed24 02-26-2006 01:48 AM

i cant wait to get mine installed. 79 bucks shipped, what a deal!

firesquare 02-27-2006 04:22 AM

the axle back for the xB does not have a silencer

kevinj27 02-28-2006 02:12 PM

I had the universal strup installed and cost me about $100 to get it installed. The silencer on mine looks nothing like that. Mine has two screws in the end of the tailpipe that you can loosen and the by turning a plate that has holes in it, opens or closes the baffle thus silencing it by closing the holes.

I got mine installed on Saturday and it is a bit loud even when it is silenced. Freeway with the silencer is still audible but not terrible. Mainly loud when accelerating.

I also have my trunk lined in rubberized underbody coating. I am going to do the bottom of my car later today (at least back by the muffler) I want to head it but not give me a headache.

kevinj27 02-28-2006 02:16 PM

Go to http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2261372/3 and if you look at the first picture I have of my exhaust, you can see the silencer I was talking about.

designed24 02-28-2006 02:35 PM

$100, wow that seems to be a bit pricey. Did you get customing pipping from the cat-back? Did you go to a local shop or a chain muffler shop? It looks good tho! I'll make sure I post pics of mine when it comes in (i ordered it a week ago so it should be here any day!) Great info here btw.

kevinj27 02-28-2006 02:57 PM

I first went to Car-X and they said $150. I got mine installed at Exhaust Pros. Took about an hour and they were $75/hour. Unclamped old muffler and bent pipe from there to the muffler. Put on their own hanger bracket so they wouldn't have to weld on the muffler. Very solid.

GloriousMidget 02-28-2006 04:04 PM

I got mine installed on Saturday and it is a bit loud even when it is silenced. Freeway with the silencer is still audible but not terrible. Mainly loud when accelerating.
I thought the same thing too. After about a week mine quieted down alot...with the silencer in on mine it is almost as quiet as stock. I drive around without the silencer and it doesn't bother me at all now. I'm no expert, but I assume there is some sort of break-in period. Just give it some time and it should sound more to your liking

kevinj27 02-28-2006 04:19 PM

I hope your'e right. Right now if I drive more than like 10-15 minutes with the silencer, it starts to give me a headache.

designed24 02-28-2006 05:14 PM

it seems logical.. but in 5-7 years... it will be hella loud :)
I just got mine today... ill try to post a couple pics

designed24 02-28-2006 09:23 PM

Just got mine installed... cost me 120, CT is expensive..
Well im gonna have to agree with Kevin.. it is pretty damn loud. I also had the silencer in this thing...

Althought I must say it is very quite when your driving along... you cant hear it at all. It is just when you first begin to accelerate. Dont get me wrong tho, this thing sounds better than any other exhaust ive heard when you really step down on it... so im going to recommend this and since glorious said it gets quiter later on I am not so worried. I got it installed at Monro's and they said that they cut the pipe so if i wanted to change exhaust or put the old one back on it wouldnt be an issue. so i guess that risk is gone.

79+120 = 200 bucks. TRD and Tanabe are 320 ish so I feel pretty good about it.

GloriousMidget 03-01-2006 01:08 AM

Gee whiz $120! I didn't know it cost yall that much to get it installed :doh: I don't know why mine was so cheap :? Thats craziness...sorry to hear that

designed24 03-01-2006 04:10 AM

ya it took them like 1 and a half... maybe they dont know what they are doing! Oh yeah, I also went Monroe's muffler/brake its a chain.. so that probably explains a little bit of the extra cost.

There is a break in period FOR SURE! Driving it home sucked, I wasn't too happy.
I drove it a lot since and I LOVE it... the tone is really deep and aggressive and it is a lot quiter. I really can get a feel for my engine a lot more, hard to explain.
My buddies said my car feels a lot smoother to them. For all you xA's out there, Get this muffler... its awesome.

designed24 03-01-2006 04:15 AM

How does this silencer work? It looks as thoght its tunable.. but how do you remove it? It also appears as though you need an allen-wrench... anyone know what size?

M-Flo 03-01-2006 04:21 AM

If you guys can get a sound clip or video of it, that would be awesome.

I have to agree with GloriousMidget though, that is a pricey install. A local muffler shop in my area quoted me 40 bucks for cutting and welding a bracket. They do specialize in scions so that might have a factor in pricing...

designed24 03-01-2006 04:27 AM

Lol, OK OK I know I got ripped! Lemme just enjoy it the muffler and not feel guilty about all the cash I paid. I would struggle to try and provide a sound clip but it sounds EXACTLY like the V2 for the xB (atleast mine does), it has to be essentially the same. For a sound clip of the go to www.strup.us

M-Flo 03-01-2006 04:33 AM

Hehe, it's all good as long as the muffler looks and sounds like a million bucks =p Thanks for the info, looks like I'll be going for this route as well!

The silencer likely isn't tunable. It's more of a baffle that constricts exhaust. You can take it off by unscrewing the nut holding it and twisting/pulling it out.