Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Throttle body spacer

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cseika
Originally Posted by Sciond
still spacers? anybody?
yes velocity stacks are for carbs, and the Tornado gives almost as much horsepower as a ScionLife sticker!
Really!!? Wow I gotta go grab one now! After i put on my Scionlife sticker , i've been pulling on all the STI's and G35's!! Now imagine with this tornado!!
yea...its amazing..lol
Old 03-09-2005, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so still nobody knows if they make a spacer
Old 03-09-2005, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I don't see the point on our cars! As far as I'm concerned, TB spacers are used, not because of that air swirling BS but because it keeps the heat from the Engine to the metal intake manifold away from the TB/Intake so your air in theory won't get as hot. Have you ever touched an aluminum or iron intake manifold when the engine is hot? That ____ is HOT, can't even keep your hands on it....

As for our scion, Once again, ingenious Toyota Engineers have not only placed our intake manifold right behind the grill but also used plastic which does not conduct nearly as much heat.... so.. Therefore defeating the purpose of the TB spacer... guess thats y no legitimate has it yet because it just does not yeild much HP.....
Old 03-09-2005, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tornado air does not spin! It is a static unit, it just sits there. It has little metal fins that guide the passing air into a spiral. It was designed to channel air through your intake more efficiently. I had one on my crx, It made a difference, but i didnt put it on my xB cuz I have an Ingen SR and there are no obstructions to "channel" air through. Still its not worth $75.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"they" do not make a spacer
"they" will not make a spacer

spacers are not for this type of fuel injection

and luckydog, are you quoting a site or something
the throttle body is an integral part of the intake manifold design, it is part of the calculation for manifold runner length in fuel injected cars

and the pressure drop you are describing is what happens every time the throttle opens wider than idle

the pistons actually "suck" air/fuel in on their "intake" down-stroke
and "push" gases out on the exhaust stroke up-stroke

and yes, the Tornado will only boost the performance of their company's stock value, not HP in your car
Old 03-09-2005, 10:38 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

an engine is really an air compressor!!! well thats just a givin anyways if you really think about it
Old 03-10-2005, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member

no the throtle body is not a part of the manifold design. it is nothing more then a valve that lets air pass into the plenum. and no the pressure drop is not from opening the throttle. that is a vacuum drop it does reduce pressure but that is not what i was meaning. when you spin swirl cause to twist spiral or what ever you want to call it. spinning air, like a tornado, reduces air pressure. bernulli. high pres. moves to low pres. allowing the air to move faster and smoother. this lets more air travel in the same amount of time. the MAF reads the extra air and adjust air feul ratio by adding fuel. increasing power. more air in more air out more power. air in takes do this by reducing the restrictions in the stock intake. allowing more air in the engine.
an engine is an air pump it is all based off of volumetric efficiency. any thing you can do to increase efficiency will increase power and fuel economy. that is why the best thing you can do to a stock motor is add headers exhaust and some kind of smoother intake. the factories do not do this because there is an increase in the noise that is made. most people want a nice quiet car that does not bother the neighbors.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a Helix Power Tower on my truck I like it a lot. Not to noticable on power. Too bad Helix does not have one for the scion, but they do for hondas and some toyotas

Check it out http://www.streetandperformanceelectronics.com/hptp.htm
Old 09-01-2006, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Throttle body spacer

Originally Posted by jeems
Do they make one for the Xb?
I've already made them for the scion xa,xb. I'm still trying to get a dyno result of the basline before and after, but I will post them as soon as they're ready.

Already checked the fitment quality and everything is looking great. As for gains, I've gotten a really good feeback/response as far as that matters, but I'd rather show proof of it when its ready.

Here's a link to the other ones I've made for my car and the 350Z, if you want to check to quality of my work.

Here's a dyno sheet, with my car running on a dirty maf:

And here's the one I made for the scion, which has not yet been sent out for anodizing.
Sorry Picture will be available tonite.
btw, these will come with all the necessary hardware, 3 bolts and two oring gasket.

Nimo
Old 09-01-2006, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd be very intersted in this.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would be interested to at least try it out. Should be a simple bolt on especially with short ram. So what are we to expect out of it? Better torque? It may work or it may not, but if you make it nice and shiny every kid is gonna buy it.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i'd give it a try how much approximately ?
Old 09-01-2006, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Isn't this just what some people do called "rifling"? (Only I think it's normally done to the engine, not a spacer)
Old 09-01-2006, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it's like the rifling of a rifle's barrel , and can be done to intake runners , intake manifolds , intakes , throttle bodies , throttlebody spaces , and yeah. it's to get whatever the object going through the piping to swirl. straighter shot from a gun , better air fuel mixture in a car , better flow with water or liquids.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yeah, I saw on some cooking show (this will tie in, hold on) some guy started to empty a bottle of vodka into a large pitcher and swirled it around so it started to make a "tornado" and it did come out faster...

*shrug* Who knows, maybe this'll work...
Old 09-02-2006, 02:13 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'd buy one but not this year thou
Old 09-02-2006, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats Hot looking. I'd rock it.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

me too, well for the right price that is? pics of our spacer yet??
Old 09-02-2006, 09:09 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres a need to know question, aftermarket intakes... well besides need too make more room for it too fit and slightly longer wiring for the MAF...
Old 09-03-2006, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my 5.0 mustang days we'd make/install a phenolic spacer for between the upper and lower intake plenums. It was only there to help keep the upper cool.... there's a heck of a lot of aluminum up there on a 5.0L.

Our tiny little 1.5's with the plastic intakes hanging off the side don't suffer from that problem. I don't see how a spacer or anthing else stuck in the intake (ie. Tornado) would help. If anything, maybe a larger diameter TB.

Quick Reply: Throttle body spacer