Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Transmission Slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member

Default Transmission Slipping?

Hey guys, in 2006/2007 (originally had 4K) we bought a wrecked scion and fixed her up. She was driving great and only did the usual maintenance until I hit about 114,000 miles, when I started having transmission problems. Ended up having to have the transmission rebuilt at 116K (September 2012).

After having a huge amount of problems with the repair shop, including the seals busting and me losing all of my transmission fluid two days after having the car back.

I starting having issues tonight again with my transmission. Before, it was just making a whirring noise, and there were no shifting issues when it was rebuilt. Today I was driving when I was leaving for work and my car wouldn't shift at 50-60mph and was shifting really hard after it had warmed up.

I had someone take a look at it, and they think the overdrive is going out in it. When I turned the overdrive off on my car, there is no shifting at all, not into one single gear at any speed.

Basically here what exactly it is doing: When first starting up (but after the blue light is off), the car will shift hard, and not shift into 4th gear. I drop the speed, and then when I accelerate again but harder, it will shift. When I was driving home from work tonight, the first couple gears shifted perfectly, and then it felt like it didn't really shift, but slipped into 4th, but it was a fluid slip, not something that jerked the car.

Is there a possibility that it could be something else? I'm still paying on the first transmission and refuse to pour more money into the crappy car. If it is the transmission...the car is worth more wrecked.