Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD Turbo xB specs

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD Turbo xB specs

Anybody seen this page yet: http://www.trdparts.jp/parts_trdturbo-complete.html

According to google:
The price on the page is ~2100 USD,
The max horsepower is ~148 @ 6400 RPM
The max torque is ~145 lb ft.

The package includes:
turbocharger (ball bearing turbine)
cooling duct
engine computer (E.C.U.)
intercooler & piping
oil cooler
TRD Sports emblem (front)
TRD Turbo emblem (rear)
TRD suspension
TRD muffler
TRD sport air filter
TRD brake pad (front)

http://www.trdparts.jp/movie/TRDturbo_bB.avi

Is there any chance of this getting imported if Toyota never comes through with a US version?
Old 08-25-2005, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CNYScions
SL Member

That looks like one heck of a deal for $2100...I'd be all over that.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member

its in japanese...
Old 08-25-2005, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it's trd japan. no plans on selling it here.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

You sure? I wish they would. Although one of our friends at Toyota is going to order it for a friend since we gave him the part numbers and info.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went through the whole TRD Japan website just to see what kinds of goodies they have over there, and I'd have to say that the turbo is the one bit I'd most like to see over here.

That, and the ($1337!) HID headlight kit: http://www.trdparts.jp/parts_hid-h4.html

The list of english TRD Japan stuff:
http://www.trdparts.jp/english/list_bb.html

The (longer) list in Japanese:
http://www.trdparts.jp/list_bb.html
Old 08-25-2005, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd try it out if I could get a warranty on it.

I wouldn't trust most dealerships out here to install it though.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I doubt the ECU is gonna just swap right into our cars...theres probly gonna be a lot of modification to be done for this to work
Old 08-25-2005, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why not build your own turbo kit from various parts and put in the
xB and get more potental horsepower
Old 08-25-2005, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

First off, the fuel management systems are way too complex...someone really needs to come out w/ something real soon to fix this problem. Second, most people dont have the resources to get a custom manifold fabbed up, and third, a lot of people have no clue whatsoever on how to custom build a CORRECT intercooling system for the turbo kit....its not just go out and buy an ebay intercooler and start fabbing up pipes. End cap designs, internal volume/flow, core sizing, core thicnkess etc have a lot to do w/ choosing the right setup...its not as easy as everyone thinks it is to just piece together a turbo kit or every manufacturer would be making them for these cars.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
I doubt the ECU is gonna just swap right into our cars...theres probly gonna be a lot of modification to be done for this to work

Can you go into any more technical detail why the ECU swap wouldn't "just work"? I'd always assumed that the ECU's weren't really region locked, and on a car as simple as the xB (and Bb) I don't see any major differences that would cause issues. As far as I know, both cars have traction control, VSC, the same transmissions, and the same engines\sensors\etc. Other than settings dealing with emissions, it seems like it would be almost the same.

That said, this is my first real 'import' car (other than a 1991 Sentra SE-R w/a SR20DE), so I could be completely off.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

In simple terms, the US ECU is closed loop and cannot be "over-ridden" so to speak. Any attempt to try and re-map some of the curves, it will reset itself.

I have a friend that works for TRD, has given me the TRD Japan catalogs and flyers, and when asked if it will be brought in the answer was, "Honestly, if TRD had plans to bring it here, they would have done it already."

Say No, the TRD kit will not work on US xBs.

But some peeps have turbo kits here in the US made from other sources. A few on the east coast have been successful so far.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Not good w/ electronics but main concern would be your emissions, then second I would believe you could possibly splice the 2 harnesses from the JDM and USDM boxes to work w/ the JDM ecu's...I think they are completely different from eachother resulting in causeing yourself a complete nightmare(I think)...have you ever seen our wiring harnesses out of the car?? Its like a 4" thick 11' long snake of a lot of wires and sensor plugs...I never have done a motor swap, nor will I want to do one after seeing all that wiring
I have been studying the book "How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems" by Jeff Hartman. Great book if your interested in this stuff, but by no means do I have any credibility w/ engine management yet
All I know is it probly wouldnt be worth all the time and effort, you would probably be better off ripping it all out and going w/ a standalone ECU.

Disclaimer: I could be completely wrong so take it for what it is
Any ECU guru's feel free to chime in and help out
Old 08-25-2005, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just wonder why they would go to the trouble of making a completely different harness for the xB vs the Bb. If they were trying to bring it over here at the lowest possible cost (hence the no factory cruise control, etc) why waste the time/effort making a completely different ECU for US-bound xB's? Why not just re-program a Japanese ECU with US settings, set it into closed-loop (read-only) mode, and be done with it?

The TRD ECU is probably exactly the same as the original with a few resistors or jumpers in different places to make it programmable with a SST. Just a guess though, I've never seen a real Bb, nor any of the Japan-only stuff in real life.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

makes me miss the good old days of simply replacing an eeprom in the ECU, or on more recent American trucks, plugging in something like a hypertech power programmer.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the most basic reasons why you can't use a JDM ECU is that JDM engine are MAP sensored and USDM engines use AFM's. Also JDM engines do not have EGR valves, which USDM engines do. That's a relatively minor issue, but the MAP vs AFM is a bigger issue. Different harness and different ECU.

More than likely you can use the TRD Japan turbo if you switch your engine over to map and get the proper harness. The 86 guys do it all the time so we can run ITBs.

Oh yeah, also keep in mind that JDM gas is also higher octane than US premium, so they can advance their timing more aggressively. I don't remember the exact #, but it's either 95 or 97...I tend to think it's 97 AND it's low sulphur, but that's more an emissions thing.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the ECU shouldn't be too much of a worry. just have it reflashed by a GOOD tuner like technosquare for instance. none of the piggyback B/S. reflash all your stock maps to accomodate for boost duties. nothing better then a self-learning STOCK ecu.

http://www.technosquareinc.com <---- Tadashi is a tuning genius

that is if you don't mind shelling out the money for the turbo kit, THEN sending it in to get it reflashed.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Somone just needs to import an Open Deck, right-hand drive and all, and put the TRD turbo in that... you'd be killin' it.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I am going to talk to AEM at SEMA and possibly try to do something with their EMS for the xB. I know that only one person isnt going to sway their decision to offer a plug and play, but maybe if I can get their universal unit to work, we can get it in the works...
Old 08-27-2005, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Dude...that would save us a bunch of headaches...Im about to try and rig up a bigger MAF sensor and housing to see if I can overide this fuel cut.

Quick Reply: TRD Turbo xB specs