Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Voltage Stabilizer Installation

Old 05-04-2005, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member

OK, I give. Here is a question. If you are mainly concenrned about ripples effecting the ECU, why not hook this filter across the main fuse board or across the ECU itself instead of out in the battery compartment? All the engine sensors in a fuel injection system are typically grounded back thru the ECU, so why not just tap this thing across the + and - on the ECU up under the dash out of site somewhere. It's appears to be just a glofiried noise filter like what you would hook up to the + feed of a car stereo, or am I wrong here? I know the ECU drops down voltage to 5V inside to feed out to the engine sensors. Noise in the incomming 12V line effects the drop down to 5V that dramatically inside the ECU? Wouldn't the DC to DC converter inside the ECU have circuitry to gaurd against in-rush and current ripple on the main 12V source? Those units on the market with the clear cases and LED's just look like extra added bling for the engine compartment. If your going to make such a device, I gotta believe you would get the same filtering effect by cramming it under the dash out of site an hooking it across the main fuse board that all your interior power and ECU feed thru.....
Old 05-05-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the main purpose is to filter the ripple which is caused mainly by the alternator. Puting the cap accross the ECU also help but not by much because it ready has some internal filtering just like guzzijeff mentioned. By puting the filter at the bettery will reduce the overall system and it is easier to install. The noise can be reduced a bit more if we put a cap across the alternator terminal. Am I making too this technical ?
Old 05-06-2005, 03:53 PM
ufo
5 Year Member

Default VS

thank u all master, finally some advices from all the SI FU.. hehehe hmm... Kong, can i ask u something?, haf u ever seen a VS using I.C ? if i not wrong i saw one b4, i mean I.C not for those battery indicating purpose but for VS
Old 05-06-2005, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have heard of IC cap, but I never seen one so I don't know how it works. Send me some link about it
Old 05-11-2005, 03:29 PM
ufo
5 Year Member

Default vs

hi kong, i haf some link u might b interested , here is d link www.z-stab.com , u will b delighted , anyway i got some pic tat VS use IC to make, but not appropriate to shown it here.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have read the technical section in the website. I know that using Electrolytic cap alone won't work. That's why I have some ceramic caps attached to the module to filter some high frequency signal.

He emphasis how the ripple from alternator effect the car performance. But he ends up hooking up the unit the battery directly (just like other hypervoltage system), which is what he refer to the "brute force method". In this case, there is not much thing you can do, otherthan putting more caps that response to wide range of frequency across the terminal.

If he actually want to control the althernator ripple, he should hook a separate wire from the alternator to the unit and then from it to the battery. If he does this, then I know that there is some controller (IC) involve in this unit.

Anyway, I still don't belive there is some power control circuitry inside that box. Also high quality caps is more responsive to ripple than using ICs to control ripple.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member

so, basically, wouldn't something like this marine product wired in series with the alternator smooth things out?

http://www.newmarpower.com/pdf/Manual-150A.pdf

they make 2 models
one filters 70kHz to 100 MHz
the other does audio to 200MHz

All your really looking to do is filter out the ripple from the alternator, right?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, I think this would work just fine .
Old 05-16-2005, 02:32 PM
ufo
5 Year Member

Default snubb VS

Originally Posted by Kong
Yes, I think this would work just fine .
hi kong, its ok u reply late, hehhee

anyway, about this Z-stab VS, i read some bad comment about this stuff.. luckily i didnt buy it :D , hehhee can we build a snubb circuit on VS?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:40 PM
ufo
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by guzzijeff
so, basically, wouldn't something like this marine product wired in series with the alternator smooth things out?

http://www.newmarpower.com/pdf/Manual-150A.pdf

they make 2 models
one filters 70kHz to 100 MHz
the other does audio to 200MHz

All your really looking to do is filter out the ripple from the alternator, right?
wow, cool explaination , cool stuff, wats tat? a VS or somekinda filter?
Old 05-21-2005, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is pretty complicated for the average joe. i think kong should just make a bunch of these and sell them cheap to scionlife members. just a thought.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It would be a good experience to make your own VS. I thought that it is simple enough that anyone can make one. But if you don't have time, I only have one set available for $45 shipped. I only do this as a hobby but if many people are interested, I will make some more.

anyway, about this Z-stab VS, i read some bad comment about this stuff.. luckily i didnt buy it , hehhee can we build a snubb circuit on VS?
snubber circuit shouldn't do any good since it absorbs high voltage surge and dissipates the ripple voltage as heat. It only acts as a protection circuit.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:41 PM
ufo
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kong
It would be a good experience to make your own VS. I thought that it is simple enough that anyone can make one. But if you don't have time, I only have one set available for $45 shipped. I only do this as a hobby but if many people are interested, I will make some more.

anyway, about this Z-stab VS, i read some bad comment about this stuff.. luckily i didnt buy it , hehhee can we build a snubb circuit on VS?
snubber circuit shouldn't do any good since it absorbs high voltage surge and dissipates the ripple voltage as heat. It only acts as a protection circuit.
thks kong
Old 06-06-2005, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It should work with xA as well right ?

I mean its a very interesting mod, but I dont have the time to make one myself.

You still have any around Kong? 45 shipped ?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how many people have done this and noticed a difference?
i might do it with the ground wires when i get some time.

any ideas on how to check for the differences/improvements?

i am gonna be getting obd set up on my craptop soon. i'll try saving the mods until then. that way i can use obd to monitor mileage more easily.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member

cool. how much gas do you save?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nycgps
It should work with xA as well right ?

I mean its a very interesting mod, but I dont have the time to make one myself.

You still have any around Kong? 45 shipped ?

Yes, I still have it. It works on any car as long as it has battery
Old 06-10-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bigbadhater
cool. how much gas do you save?
Not much, about 0.5MPG, I guess. It mostly make your ride feel more comfortable - smoother.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is that metal circle called and where did you get it?

Old 11-10-2005, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is a part of ground wire kit sold in ebay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Voltage Stabilizer Installation