Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

What are the best spark plugs? Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

You would too but I think I'll just ignore it.
My head is starting to hurt now.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you for those of you who posted stuff about boring old Spark plugs. I know nothing about engines except i can change oil in one. Like always when it comes to my xB I only want to buy the best for it and always look to this site for suggestions. Even though some are "BORED", this car retarded fool here learned what kinda plugs to go out and buy from this thread. THANX GUYS!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Jeff, one mans BS is another mans treasure. The next time you get 46 mpg do tell us about your spark plug BS.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by ICE4ROG
Hey Jeff, one mans BS is another mans treasure. The next time you get 46 mpg do tell us about your spark plug BS.
Atleast I don't post up bogus mpgs claiming they are from using lame old technology plugs.
Run your plugs all you want and quit trying to spead whatever you are spewing. It's getting mighty deep in here.
To many people are getting the same results that I did from my NGK Irridiums gapped at .044". Deal with it please?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... I got 535 miles out of a tank of gas using them. ...
It always scares me when folks talk first about Miles Per Tank, rather than Miles per GALLON.

Once upon a time, over 8 years ago, I was obsessed with "Miles PER TANK" and would run the tank VERY VERY LOW (can you saw "Fumes"?) to get the most accurate MPG calculation.

Well, that cost me a Fuel Pump ($$$) AND the LABOR ($$$) to install it when I limped into a service station in the middle of nowhere CT one day.

Here is what I learned:

Bottom Line:

Hope this helps.
      Old 04-20-2008, 01:29 PM
      10 Year Member

5 Year Member
      Fail, INC
      Club One

SL Member

LOL LOL

BTW Denso Iridiums gapped at .044 for over 60,000 miles..no hp gains, no mpg gains, it just runs good and the plugs are very durable
      Old 04-21-2008, 02:47 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      Scikotics
      SL Member

so far the tourqu master plugs work great in the box just waiting for 2 more tanks of gas to see if they are worth the 12.50each but so far so good
      Old 04-21-2008, 08:25 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      Music City Scions
      SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
      LOL LOL

BTW Denso Iridiums gapped at .044 for over 60,000 miles..no hp gains, no mpg gains, it just runs good and the plugs are very durable
      Should have gotten NGKs
      Old 04-21-2008, 08:48 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
      ...and quit trying to spead whatever you are spewing.....
      He who lives in glass house.......
      Old 04-21-2008, 08:52 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member

LOL LOL

That is all iridiums do, last longer. You are 100% correct when you say plugs did NOT increase your HP, your MPG (unless they were in absolutly horrible condition to begin with).

Those who say otherwise are just trying to justify the extra money they spent on fancier plugs.
      Old 04-21-2008, 08:55 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      Music City Scions
      SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
      LOL LOL

That is all iridiums do, last longer. You are 100% correct when you say plugs did NOT increase your HP, your MPG (unless they were in absolutly horrible condition to begin with).

Those who say otherwise are just trying to justify the extra money they spent on fancier plugs.
      Mighty full of yourself on top of being WRONG aren't ya? DA
      Old 04-21-2008, 09:12 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member

Mighty full of yourself on top of being WRONG aren't ya? DA
      Should be real easy then to provide some independent testing data that shows increased MPG/HP on non-tuned engines using iridiums over standard copper plugs, right?
      Old 04-21-2008, 11:41 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      Music City Scions
      SL Member

Read the forums on all the different sites Data on copper plugs would be awful had to come by because very few waste their money on em.
      Old 04-21-2008, 11:54 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member

Read the forums on all the different sites Data on copper plugs would be awful had to come by because very few waste their money on em.

Remember, I asked for independent testing data, not anonymous opinions on other forums.

So, by your own admission, you have not seen any comparison of copper vs. iridium? But yet you swear they are better?

And how ironic is it that you are saying people who buy copper plugs "waste their money on them".

Ughhh.... (bites lip). I should have stayed out of this whole spark plug debate.....

Id like to dispel a spark plug myth and in the process, perhaps save some of you a few dollars. Expensive spark plugs do not increase your vehicles performance and power. Regular replacement does. This bears repeating:

Expensive spark plugs do not increase your vehicles performance and power.
      Regular replacement does.

New plugs will only free up whatever power you lost due to running plugs too long. They do not and can not free up power that is not already there. While using a premium platinum plug will extend the service life of the plug, it will not in any way increase performance or power either, unless your plugs were holding you back for whatever reason to begin with.

The only realistic advantage of any premium plug is a decrease in gap erosion. Gap erosion occurs when the spark burns away small bits of the electrode and ground contact during combustion. Over time a properly gapped plug will slightly increase its gap but not generally enough to cause any problems if the plugs are replaced in accordance with the manufacturers suggested maintenance routine. So the extra dollars you pay for these kinds of plugs are truly wasted if you are a responsible vehicle owner who changes the plugs regularly like you should.

Keep your engine and your wallet happy by installing properly gapped, stock or quality replacement spark plugs at the required intervals.

Your choice of plug will depend on how often you want to replace them.
      Old 04-22-2008, 12:08 AM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member

If any of you are REALLY interested in documented and independent testing data, and you have $14 to spare, go to the SAE site and order paper number 2006-01-0224, 'The Effect of Sparkplug Design on Initial Flame Kernel Development and Sparkplug Performance'
      Old 04-22-2008, 02:25 AM
      10 Year Member

5 Year Member
      Fail, INC
      Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing

Remember, I asked for independent testing data, not anonymous opinions on other forums.

So, by your own admission, you have not seen any comparison of copper vs. iridium? But yet you swear they are better?

And how ironic is it that you are saying people who buy copper plugs "waste their money on them".

Ughhh.... (bites lip). I should have stayed out of this whole spark plug debate.....

Id like to dispel a spark plug myth and in the process, perhaps save some of you a few dollars. Expensive spark plugs do not increase your vehicles performance and power. Regular replacement does. This bears repeating:

Expensive spark plugs do not increase your vehicles performance and power.
      Regular replacement does.

New plugs will only free up whatever power you lost due to running plugs too long. They do not and can not free up power that is not already there. While using a premium platinum plug will extend the service life of the plug, it will not in any way increase performance or power either, unless your plugs were holding you back for whatever reason to begin with.

The only realistic advantage of any premium plug is a decrease in gap erosion. Gap erosion occurs when the spark burns away small bits of the electrode and ground contact during combustion. Over time a properly gapped plug will slightly increase its gap but not generally enough to cause any problems if the plugs are replaced in accordance with the manufacturers suggested maintenance routine. So the extra dollars you pay for these kinds of plugs are truly wasted if you are a responsible vehicle owner who changes the plugs regularly like you should.

Keep your engine and your wallet happy by installing properly gapped, stock or quality replacement spark plugs at the required intervals.

Your choice of plug will depend on how often you want to replace them.
      the last line is the only reason I run the iridiums
      Old 04-22-2008, 03:05 AM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member

^^Kinda like dino vs synthetic oil. I for one do not miss getting under either the car or the hood. I would rather drive my box or be doing something other than car maintenance!

Pay more for parts, save time (or money) by less frequent servicing. Same labor for copper or Iridium plugs, but you will do it a lot more often with copper. Labor costs, parts are cheap. Iridiums last longer. No extra HP or MPG.

Not sure about you guys, but my time is worth a lot more than a set of $35 plugs!

My two Lincolns...
      Old 04-22-2008, 04:44 AM
      10 Year Member

5 Year Member
      Fail, INC
      Club One

SL Member

yep If I ran copper I would have to change them 2X per year
      Old 04-22-2008, 11:15 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member

Arguing with someone like bB is a no win situation, he's right and everyone else is wrong...deal with it?
      Old 04-23-2008, 12:00 AM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      Music City Scions
      SL Member

Arguing with someone like bB is a no win situation, he's right and everyone else is wrong...deal with it?
      You are right for a change. I only argue stuff I know about and have proof of. If I'm not sure I admit it or stay silent. Why is this so hard to believe?

Quick Reply: What are the best spark plugs? Update