Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   Whats the best motor oil for xB??? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/whats-best-motor-oil-xb-118076/)

scionxbdriver07 10-24-2007 11:31 PM

Whats the best motor oil for xB???

hey i was wondering what is the best oil for the xB, i change my oil every 2800 miles and i use castrol gtx, 10 30w during the summer and in the winter 5 30w bc i live in florida. But can i put synthetic oil?? or just use the regular stuff??

draxcaliber 10-24-2007 11:36 PM

change your oil ever 5000 miles because your just wasting money doing it every 2800, synthetic oil is better than mineral based because it doesn't break down under heat, and put in whatever toyota reccommends which is clearly specified in the owners manual and also usually on the oil cap.

best oil is a very subjective evaluation. everybody has their brand that they swear by. you really can't go wrong and can only trust your own evaluation. my tc gets mobil 1 pure synthetic at the dealership. lots of people love royal purple. once i start doing my own maitenance, i'll start using royal purple myself.

and you don't need 10w30 unless your boosted or it is extremely, and i lived in florida for half a year with my tc one summer, 5w30 did just fine.

swartzautoman 10-24-2007 11:47 PM

i agree that 5w30 it just fine.
i use 5w20 mobil 1 full synthetic, i don't swear by it, but i know its a great oil and i don't have any problems with it so why change.

i dont see the high temps like FL but i do see some low lows.
so i run the lighter oil, plus its easier for the engine to pump it.

scionxbdriver07 10-25-2007 12:50 AM

true, yea i also own a nissan 240sx s14 with a sr20 swap i change oil every 2800 so i do it to the xb also, alright sounds good ya, someone told me i couldnt use synthetic, but i mean i use it neways but i was just seeing what u guys thought,

Sciond 10-25-2007 01:16 AM

Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple.....I use 0W30

evilBOXevil 10-25-2007 03:18 AM

Maybe it's not necessary to change your oil every 2800, but I don't think you're wasting money. If you plan to keep this car for a long time, or sell it down the road- knowing that your oil never gets darker than a light honey color does make a difference.

I have stuck to the 5w30 so far myself, but I don't know if one particular brand is better than the rest. I do believe that full synthetics are better for alot of reasons, tho.
I use Q hp because I know its proven to be a great oil, and it's not so expensive. I used to only use AMSoil, but I can't say that it made any difference- and it got to be too expensive (since I change it every 3k miles).

For every poster you'll find a different claim of whats best. I just say to find a good synthetic that's not so expensive, and you'll be doing great.

OC_ScionBox 10-25-2007 03:59 AM

yep i use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30
i change my oil every 5K miles

Mobil 1 is the best oil out there in my opinion :clap:
its a little pricey but its worth it

Butane 10-25-2007 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by OC_ScionBox

honestly you are wasting your money, but it's your money so whatever. UNless you have mods that warrant this type of oil

Sciond 10-25-2007 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by evilBOXevil
I used to only use AMSoil, but I can't say that it made any difference- and it got to be too expensive (since I change it every 3k miles).

Well of course it did you misused the product it is intended for extended drain intervals

swartzautoman 10-25-2007 01:00 PM

i think changing the oil every 2800 miles is a bit much.
i changed the oil every 3k for the first 3 (free). but now i go by the color of the oil. im not going the change it if it still looks somewhat new. iv got about 2500 on the oil thats in there now and i just cant see why i would need to change it, its just now starting to show some dark color.

im not going to talk you out of it, if you want to change it sooner then more power to you, your not hurting anything.
but for me i know that with a full synthetic im not hurting anything changing it at 5k or when ever the oil looks dark enough.

i also use a larger then stock oil filter.

HeathenBrewing 10-25-2007 07:18 PM

Re: Whats the best motor oil for xb???

Originally Posted by scionxbdriver07
hey i was wondering what is the best oil for the xb, i change my oil.....

Every motor is different. What is the "best" oil for one may not be so good for another.

With that said, UOA's on Pennzoil Platnium full synthetic were much improved over M1 syn. Lower particulates and less iron vs. the M1 sample. From personal observations, I noticed less noise from the PP when compared to the M1.

I have not tried all the oil posibilities, but I can say without a doubt, that PP performs better than M1 in the xB's engine.

OC_ScionBox 10-26-2007 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Butane

honestly you are wasting your money, but it's your money so whatever. UNless you have mods that warrant this type of oil

yea right asswipe
its worth the money and it'll be worth it in the long run

dgenem 10-26-2007 10:24 PM

Synthetics do not sludge, and they do not break down as easily from heat. Those two reasons are enough for most of us to pay extra.

Anyone ever hear of a Toyota engine sludge problem with synthetics? None that I am aware of.

How many have heard of sludge problems with dino oil in small engines? Too many to put a number on.

Newer engines are having increased sludge problems with dino oil since they run hotter to meet EPA requirements.

HeathenBrewing 10-26-2007 10:27 PM

You are yet another victim of marketing.

How many UOAs have you read on M1? How do they compare to dino oils? To other syns?

We all have the right to our opinions....but, some opinions are made by ignorance, and others are made on facts.

Sciond 10-27-2007 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing

You are yet another victim of marketing.

How many UOAs have you read on M1? How do they compare to dino oils? To other syns?

We all have the right to our opinions....but, some opinions are made by ignorance, and others are made on facts.

:lalala:

Butane 10-28-2007 05:57 AM

yea right asswipe
its worth the money and it'll be worth it in the long run

LOL planning on driving your xB for 500k+. I have a car pushing 210k changed with Castrolwithout any engine troubles and it's even a Ford. Obviously for a daily driver mobil 1 is not needed unless, like I said, you have mods that warrant it....

markclaus 11-01-2007 06:06 PM

Anybody ever notice that first engine start after an oil change? That it takes longer for the oil pressure to build up? That some engines will make noises until the new oil gets pumped everywhere? I've wondered for years if changing oil can be "too often" because of these factors.

HeathenBrewing 11-01-2007 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by markclaus
Anybody ever notice that first engine start after an oil change? That it takes longer for the oil pressure to build up? That some engines will make noises until the new oil gets pumped everywhere? I've wondered for years if changing oil can be "too often" because of these factors.

Do you prime the filter before installation?

I do and no lights come on after I start the box to check for leaks after doing a OC.

PakanaHerruus 11-01-2007 09:02 PM

i use royal purple 5w30 .. i get a pretty good discount on it through my job.. (less than 4.00 a qt) so its like buying regular oil for me.. I used it in all my previous vehicles and never had a problem with it.. that and i really dont have to change my oil as often as regular oil..

ive had the dealership change my oil twice.. i still have one more free trip.. but id rather not have other people touch my vehicle, which they can make a mistake, then im just another statistic on these forums..

markclaus 11-01-2007 10:05 PM

Priming the filter sounds like good idea for the Xb, thanks for the tip. My other car filters are horizontal, so priming is out for some vehicles.