Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xB Manual to Auto Swap?

Old 01-13-2019, 01:39 AM

Default xB Manual to Auto Swap?

Anyone know how difficult it is to swap a manual to auto transmission in one of these little Toasters? I blew the output shaft out of a manual transmission and have a donor auto car that runs with frame rot. Does the whole harness have to be changed? Pedals and all I know and I have a good ECU etc.
Basically want to swap everything from one body to the other. Anybody done this and can tell me how involved it is? Havenít swapped a trans in a long time and went the opposite way with mid 90ís Fords. Curious with newer cars. Mine are both 04 but the auto has 100k fewer miles and runs perfect.

Thanks for any information.

Sticky How To Advanced Search SL (Scion Life)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-13-2019 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've converted a few various cars from automatic to manual, but never the other way around. It will be a significant amount of work, and you'd be way better off trying to track down a manual transmission to replace your manual. Transmission conversions on modern cars are a big pain because of the wiring. The xBs have vehicle stability control and traction control too, not sure if the interface/programming is different between the ECU/trans computer and ABS/VSC on the auto VS the manual.

Originally Posted by hainestony View Post
Anyone know how difficult it is to swap a manual to auto transmission in one of these little Toasters? I blew the output shaft out of a manual transmission and have a donor auto car that runs with frame rot. Does the whole harness have to be changed? Pedals and all I know and I have a good ECU etc.
Basically want to swap everything from one body to the other. Anybody done this and can tell me how involved it is? Havenít swapped a trans in a long time and went the opposite way with mid 90ís Fords. Curious with newer cars. Mine are both 04 but the auto has 100k fewer miles and runs perfect.

Thanks for any information.

Sticky How To Advanced Search SL (Scion Life)