Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Forced Induction (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-forced-induction-1644/)
-   -   Built motor update(final Greddy results pg.3, img pg.4) (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-forced-induction-1644/built-motor-update-final-greddy-results-pg-3-img-pg-4-a-169867/)

blown_xa 08-23-2009 07:38 PM

Ptuning Spec ss 1nz-fe shortblock results.

Block came in from the machine shop Wed. It was a young motor I sent (only 5000 miles), A motor which I previously broke a piston ringland. So a mild honing was all that was needed for the clyinders. The block was hot-tanked, line honed, and the whole rotational assembly was balanced. All the bearing clearances were speced out as well.

I stayed late wed evening and assembled the shortblock, grinding the piston ring gaps was the most time consuming part. Im using CP pistons 9.0 compression ratio, and Crower rods.

I stayed after thurs to assemble the long block, installed head and timing components.

Friday night I pulled an all nighter, finished assembling the motor, then took the existing motor out of my car and replaced it with the built motor I just assembled. Around 4am I started it up, 1st crank it fired up.

I am driving the car for a few days on the tune I have, with 9.0 -1 compression there is an odvious drop in power per same boost, which is to be expected. I plan to max out what the Greddy turbo kit is capable of, for boost Im guessing 18-20psi. With my new exhaust running wastegate im hitting 10psi, and with the boost controller duty cycle at 28 percent I already saw 14psi (accidentally on stock motor) so I think I can squeeze that much boost.

Tuesday my car will go back on the dyno for the monster tune, my 100ml methanol nozzle should be in, and ill drop in larger injectors. I will post results. Also next weekend is the NJ Redline Time attack with will be the debut event for my motor, Ill be sure to post some videos and results on this very thread.

dave2610 08-23-2009 11:26 PM

awsome cant wait to see what your ride is capable of

sdsnybny 08-25-2009 02:48 AM

I followed your fist build thread on here cant wait to see what this one is gonna run :)

blown_xa 08-28-2009 01:08 AM

Ran into a couple of issues on the dyno, 1st off the injectors I purchased from a friend were 440cc injectors which came off a boosted tC... we maxed them out at 149whp. They were supose to be Deatwerks 440cc injectors, but they were bought off of Ebay originally and I believe she got scammed. I then installed 625cc injectors. At around 15 pounds of boost the car started to fall on its face, took a little time to figure it out. The 90 degree intake coupler that goes to the turbo inlet was collapsing because of all the suction. We then converted my set-up to a blow through, welded the MAF sensor section to the charge pipe and I just put a screen on the turbo inlet for the time being.

Just to let you know, converting to a blow through set-up and eliminating the intake piping added 17whp at the same boost.

Another note, wastegate boost before (on stock motor 10.5 to 1 compression) netted me 140whp. On the built 9.0 to 1 compression motor it netted me 120whp. Converting to a blow through got me to 137whp on waste gate with the new motor so I got that power back in a sense.

We continued with the tune and ended up running 18psi. That gave me 171whp and 194 ft. lbs of torque. This is maxing out the Greddy turbo kit, no more boost is to be had unless you run a 3" downpipe. The car is fast, real fast. Also keep in mind I do not run an intercooler, water-meth injection is my cooling. Running an intercooler would probably net me another 10whp or so on top of the meth. I will take my car to the dragstrip soon to post some numbers, but my guess is high 13's in the 1/4 with that power. And remember, our dyno is the heartbreak dyno of the east. Zero correction factor is added. So if those numbers seem low, they are not. The best comparison is to take your car to the dragstrip and post the results, mph doesnt lie.

papo 08-31-2009 06:16 AM

so u have a fully built motor and only made 17x?

jct 08-31-2009 04:00 PM

its better then 108hp at the crank or 98hp at the wheels

DeiselFuel2o2 08-31-2009 05:55 PM

no one understands do they....a 1.5 litre making 170WHEEL HORSEPOWER and 194 FOOT POUND FEET OF TORQUE is amazing...

A boosted civic with the same HP numbers will only make around 110flbs of trq....

congrats bro, and I wish I could ride in it one day.

Go spank at auto X and watch people doo doo their pants because it will be bound to happen.

All that torque must be amazing...

ohh and for the n00bs out there...that's 200% or more increase in torque soo quite amazing.

Heartbreak dyno? Is it a dynomax? THey tend to break hearts often...

vettereddie 08-31-2009 06:48 PM

The PTuning dyno is a DynoDynamics and is probably the lowest reading one in the area. For some perspective, a stock manual xB put out 86 whp on that dyno. Numbers on this xA are very nice.

I usually look at HP / liter for comparison of engines of different sizes. The top of the line, supercharged 2008 Mustang GT500KR with a 5.4L V-8 puts out 540 hp, hitting 100 HP / L. The xA makes 114 HP / L. The Lotus Elise is only putting out 189 hp / 133 tq, and that's with a 1.8L @1984 lbs, what's the xA weigh stripped?

Did you need to notch the block? I heard rumors of Crower putting out two versions of the rod, one that would clear without notching but haven't seen them. Also, who did the balancing? My block has been machined but I can't find a good place to balance the rotating assembly.

PLEASE add the FMIC, I'd love to see what the xA can do with one installed. On my xB with the intercooler installed it's able to put out 127 hp / 130 tq, on 5 psi, on an automatic transmission, with stock tC injectors. Supercharger wouldn't make it past 108 with a tune. I'm pretty sure you can get more than 10 hp gain with it, I'll even let you borrow the IC pipes once show season ends if you need to get dimensions.

Sciond 09-01-2009 12:50 AM

these are very nice numbers...congrats are in order

blown_xa 09-02-2009 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by papo (Post 3280719)
so u have a fully built motor and only made 17x?

Tell you what, if you ever make more than that ill send you a cookie.

here is Sunday morning practice session on wastegate boost, 137whp
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g5...7-VID00004.flv

Sciond 09-02-2009 07:06 PM

nice vid...car really seems to be running strong I never heard it miss

RedneckwithanxB 09-02-2009 07:26 PM

Very nice...

bdis3 09-02-2009 07:33 PM

When I was in the stands at E-town people had no clue how fast your car was. I remember for a sort time you were chasing the red mustang. People we like What is that little thing chasing the mustang. I explained that the next lap the mustang was going to be passed the second corner. You were nice and waited until the third. It was so awesome.

vettereddie 09-02-2009 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by blown_xa (Post 3283625)
Tell you what, if you ever make more than that ill send you a cookie.

here is Sunday morning practice session on wastegate boost, 137whp

If I can ever find an xA or xB for under 5k I'd take you up on that cookie offer :P. Can't mess but so much with my daily driver.

pioneer1976 09-03-2009 12:53 AM

ok so a little birdie of mine saw you at the track tonight but counld see your times.. So howed she do at the track?????

blown_xa 09-03-2009 02:06 PM

Old dominion is a hard track to get good times plus it is 1/8th mile. On my street tires ran a 9.4 @77mph, 3 years ago on my drag radials I was running 9.1 @78mph, I was bouncing off the rev limiter as I was crossing through the 1/8th mile mark so I think when I go to the 1/4 I can expect 13.9 to 14.3

blown_xa 09-03-2009 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by bdis3 (Post 3283662)
When I was in the stands at E-town people had no clue how fast your car was. I remember for a sort time you were chasing the red mustang. People we like What is that little thing chasing the mustang. I explained that the next lap the mustang was going to be passed the second corner. You were nice and waited until the third. It was so awesome.

yea I got a lot of people coming up to me wondering what I did to the car, it's unexpected for an xA to pass Evos and s2000's and Z's :P

It was good to see Scion supporters out there!

xa007xa 09-06-2009 02:13 PM

nice job! are you running an internal wastegate? my xa was tuned on a dyno dynamics with celica injectors @ 8psi 154whp and 190wtq. we set up the injectors at 310cc in EMU and it couldn't add enough fuel for higher boost. So, I called Greddy numerous times to find out how big I can go with EMU. They kept telling me that EMU can handle injectors 150% over stock. So I asked, if my stock injectors are 185cc, what is my max? Greddy said 460cc many times. So I bought Deatschwerks 440cc. Put them in. Paid for a dyno session. And found out that EMU cannot scale them back enough in closed loop to maintain stoich. And of course, called Greddy again.... this time they said my problem is that EMU can only handle injectors 50% over stock. I am ____ed!!! However, they told me that if I got F-Manage (which isn't even sold for the US market) EMU will then be able to handle the 440's.

So I just scaled back the celica injectors in the parameter setting to 270cc (which I think is closer to what they put out at 43.5psi fuel rail pressure) and was able to max out the boost controller to 90% duty cycle giving me about 12.5psi. I retuned on the street cause I just blew $1000 on injectors and dyno based on inaccurate info from Greddy. Definitely faster and more torque. Not sure where numbers are....but definitely more than my initial tune :-)

So next question is: do I get F-Manage and an 11psi wastegate actuator for more boost and fuel and throw in the 440's? Or do I get a GT28 turbo with an external wastegate and go for AEM standalone? Prob with AEM is that I wont pass emissions. But pro is that it'll be way easier to tune than effin' piggyback ecu's.

blown_xa 09-06-2009 07:51 PM

The only issue I have with running 625cc injectors is that idle is 13.0-14.0, its really nothing to worry about though. Every other load point is perfect.

I would think you would be able to boost higher than 12psi, what is your exhaust set-up? At 90% duty cycle in between 17 and 21 psi depending on the weather and temperature.

Another note, dyno dynamics is the best tool for tuning and is accurate as long as the tuning shop doesnt add any correction factor. Bring your car to the strip once and note your trap speeds, im curious on that myself.

If I were you I would go ahead and consider the larger turbo, it's hard to squeeze a lot out of the Greddy kit. It's understandable though, no reason why a company should design a large turbo to go on a weak motor. And there are only a handful of built 1nzfe's out there.

xa007xa 09-07-2009 02:10 PM

believe me... i tried everything to get EMU to scale back the 440's. AEM Tru-Boost @ 90% duty cycle only puts out about 12psi. I even got 2 full turns on the actuator arm to shorten the throw of the wastegate. I have a FMIC... so maybe i'm losing 1 - 2psi because of that fact. I'd say that my biggest problem is the stock ECU.

Exhaust is stock with Greddy SP2 Axle back.