Notices

do u have higher mileage on a charger or turbo-long term use

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default do u have higher mileage on a charger or turbo-long term use

Now that our cars have been around a while and people have been running turbos and chargers for quite a few miles what is the feedback on:

1) any problems or necessary rebuilds on the turbo or supercharger (help those of us still trying to decide what is a pain and what is a pleasure-brands, etc)
2) besides the shear pins (like Greddy superchargers) any re-occuring problems
3) how are the motors holding up (streetable tuned-not hairy scary racing power)
4) stock clutches working at all
6) any transmission problems
7) what e-tune is working best
how many have been taken back off because there was just too much hassle
9) for the cost was it worth it to go forced induction
10) gas mileage-what are you getting consistently

Thanks to all or any that actually have the data and will share it-I don't have $2500 to make a bad decision with and would like more power
Old 06-21-2008, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are a lot of people out there who have to have data-please....
Old 06-22-2008, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

1.) Re-builds wont be a problem as long as you buy the correct kit. For now i think Last Look Customs came up with a non-intercooled kit and only 1 person has it. For now he is still in installation process, so problem are SURE to arise.

2.) Turbo chargers tend to burn oil, if the kit is not designed correctly.

3.) Motor holds up EXCELLENT!! Now the chassis is a whole different story. The engine can pull out 200WHP at its max and i think it can hold up at that power, but the chassis is going to fall apart. This car is not designed to hold so much power and it shake, rattle and roll your car to pieces.

4.) Ditch the OEM clutch, its worthless if you install forced induction.

5.) Transmission as well is perfect, as long as you change the clutch and move to synthetic oil. VERY IMPORTANT to change the oil.

6.) Im using Greddy E-Manage ultimate and it works PERFECTLY!! Other have been using the AEM FI/C which is also working VERY well.

7.)I think 2 or 3 people have taken the turbo off due to problem after problem after problem. This is the case with EVERYONE!! Including me... Its not recurring problems its just new problem ALL the time.

8.)Is it worth it HELL FUC!(ING YES!!! Its so nice to FLY by a tC....

9.) My gas mileage is down to the floor, but that due to bad tuning, so i cant give a good approximate right now.

Now that i answered your questions, here is the reality of the situation. Turbo charging is a VERY pain staking process. It takes time, dedication and most of all PATIENCE!! Dont expect to install a kit and your done... After the installation, problems WILL arise (without a doubt), it all depends on how you deal with these issues. Another important detail, do you work on your car, or do you have a mechanic?? If you work on your own car or if i have a buddy that a mechanic than your fine, but if you have to pay someone to do all the work, GOOD BYE BUDGET!! I do all the work on my car, this last weekend we took the whole thing apart due to a oil leak and exhaust leak. We worked a total of 30hrs, just to get it back together...

The main problem with the xB and xA is LACK OF SPACE. Its like trying to thread a rope through a needle. If your profile is true, than your an older person that knows what he is getting himself into (or so i assume). Im going to through around some numbers ($$$) and you tell me what you think:

a. Turbo Toyotas Turbo Kit ($2,900)
b. Greddy Profec Boost Controller ($300)
c. Greddy Turbo Timer ($80)
d. Perrin Fuel Rail ($140)
e. 2ZZ-GE Injectors ($80)
f. Oil Pressure gauge ($330, for all gauges, Autometer)
g. Oil Temperature gauge
h. Water Temperature gauge
i. Pyrometer gauge
j. Boost Gauge
k. Camcon ($300)
l. Innovate LC-1 Wide-band sensor ($200)
m. Greddy E-manage Ultimate ($500)
n. Greddy boost sensor ($80)
o. ThermoTec heat wrap ($50.00)

Obviously i went ALL out and i purchased all the best stuff, which is necessary, but i only install the best on my car. Remember, this is only a parts list, initial installation and tuning aren't added there. Installs usually cost about $1,000 (if you install everything i did), and dyno time (VERY VERY VERY VERY important), all depends on where you live. I get 1 hour of dyno time for $60 and i pay $75 to have the ECU tuned, by a pro... Here charges me this much because hes my friend, he usually charges about $250 for EVO's and STi's and $150 for piggy-backs.

Others have made custom kits like Tamago and he budgeted about $1,000 for everything, but then again he custom made everything is his shop. The only freebie he got was the log manifold for the turbo.

I can go on and on but i dont know what kind of info your looking for, so let me know and i will help you out. But as a final statement:

Having a turbo charged scion is ALOT OF FUN, but not always....
Old 06-22-2008, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is an awesome and very honest sounding answer -most of what you said is the reason I am thinking GReddy supercharger (I don't mind a little work here and there but I want reliability and little serious work).

I can deal with a little less HP in exchange for usability and every day reliability.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I am actually getting better milage with my car being turbocharged than I have when it was NA.

I have been getting about 31MPG in the city.

Turbos are very efficient at burning ALL the fuel and the best part of it is that the power it makes is from waste exhaust gas, so, there is no power needed to make power as with a supercharger.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been running the Greddy SC for over a year now and have had NO problems with it. I did have to replace the stock clutch, but I just upgraded to the TRD clutch and it is holding up great. The main reason I like the SC is that it was a complete bolt on kit. The only things I added were gauges (A/F, Boost, EGT). Also running the Informeter which has six gauges in one digitally, and it simply plugs in to the OBD port. I am still getting around 28 mpg daily driven back and forth to work. Also use it to pull a trailer with a 4 wheeler. All total I have less than $3k invested.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any problems with the shear pin or the belts slipping?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by greybox
Any problems with the shear pin or the belts slipping?
i have posted many of times on the comparison between the supercharger set-up and turbo set-up.

If u want reliability go with the Greddy turbo kit. the 1nzfe motor is seriously design flawed for supercharging and you WILL run into issues. I have, and got rid of my supercharger because of it, and friends have also.
Some say they havent had any issues with their supercharger... that is most likely because the boost is dropping due to belt slippage and they don't know it : slap it on the dyno and $3000 for 15whp is not a good investment. Get the supercharger to run efficient, then that is when u shear crank pulley pins and stretch belts... u have to check belt tension on a weekly basis. If belt is too loose u loose power and if it is too tight u loose power because of binding. And that changes with temperature because our cars don't have an auto-matic tensioner.

As far as fuel mileage, I have had both set-ups on my xA, and the turbo by a LANDSLIDE gets better gas mileage.

I have 72,000 miles on my xA and transmission is fine, stock clutch has to got because it won't handle a 10whp gain let alone a 30-40whp gain.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After all those problems with FI, i'd rather just spray a small shot of nitrous and be done with it. I only need more power during certain situations, not all the time.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zombietime
After all those problems with FI, i'd rather just spray a small shot of nitrous and be done with it. I only need more power during certain situations, not all the time.
im the same way i love nitrous... but auto-x's and the time attacks i do don't allow the use of it. Plus no xA or xB I have ever seen with a nitrous set-up is faster than the greddy turbo tuned well. And after 2 laps around a decent road course (if nitrous were permitted) say goodbye to $40 for a re-fill I love nitrous and i have had it on 4 different cars which I have owned, but i would pick the Greddy turbo over it for the xB or xA because it has been a problem free kit, plus if u are serious about hitting the track nitrous is not the way to go... for street application and for the occasional scoot it is perfectly acceptableand cheaper.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After the initial day or two, yes I did have to retighten the belt, but it hasn't been touched since then and it's gets checked at every oil change. I bought extra shear pins, but as of yet, have not had to use any. The original is still on the car. I run 8 psi consistently (drive it everyday) using a GReddy boost gauge tapped into the line from the wastegate to the manifold, so that it reads correctly. I will agree with blown xa about the turbo kit. It is extremely nice and to be honest, if it had been available at the time (backordered), I would have bought it instead, but I was able to purchase the SC cheaper straight out than the tubo kit at employee price with everything else that is not included, like the intercooler kit, and the blow off valve of your choice that has to be recirculated. However, the turbo kit does produce the power with less boost required than the supercharger which does mean less stress on the motor.

Ultimately, it's your choice as to which route you go. This is just my $.02 from my experience. Good luck with whichever you chose.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have the Blitz SC on a 04 Xb. It has 72,000 miles now with approx. 40,000 with the SC. Except for a problem once with a slipping belt that I thought was something more serious, it has been trouble free. It was a fairly costly upgrade, but well worth it. Gas milage has not suffered too much, cause I'm still getting 28 mpg on regular basis. (mostly city driving).

Once you go boost, you won't go back.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How was installing the Blitz? I also noticed it isn't on your profile-love the box though-very clean.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Titan Motorsports in Orlando installed it (and that's were I bought it also). They did a great job and included a before and after dyno run.

Sorry about my profile, I haven't updated it in years.

Thanks for the comments.