i read that turbos heat up really easily
what should i get to contrast that?

intercooler?
cold air intake?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you know what a turbo charger is? Of course they get hot, grab your exhaust pipe sometime.

Cold air intake, that was just too good. Research turbo chargers and learn how they work and you'll know the intake
has nothing to do with the heat.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo2.htm

You do know what you're wanting is going to cost a lot right? Not only do you have to buy a kit, you're going to have to pay someone to put it on for you, plus it's going to need to be tuned.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:05 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by mb2008
Do you know what a turbo charger is? Of course they get hot, grab your exhaust pipe sometime.

Cold air intake, that was just too good. Research turbo chargers and learn how they work and you'll know the intake
has nothing to do with the heat.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo2.htm

You do know what you're wanting is going to cost a lot right? Not only do you have to buy a kit, you're going to have to pay someone to put it on for you, plus it's going to need to be tuned.
i actually read somewhere that stated something about an intercooler or cold air intake
i couldnt remember which it was
Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

read the how it works....

an intercooler is required if you want to turbocharge your car....you seem to be in a little over your head....why not focus on making decent power non-boosted. keep it NA and learn as much as you can about engine operations before you dive into something like this.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It couldn't have been an intake. It's not as simple as just bolting on some different pipes. From what I've seen on here, the Blitz supercharger is more reliable than a turbo anyway.
As for the cost, in this post the person gave an estimated price list for a turbo if you haven't seen it. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=244835
Besides, if you even got one put on, you might end up only hurting yourself... Everyone does dumb things when they start driving. We all have stories.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by mb2008
It couldn't have been an intake. It's not as simple as just bolting on some different pipes. From what I've seen on here, the Blitz supercharger is more reliable than a turbo anyway.
As for the cost, in this post the person gave an estimated price list for a turbo if you haven't seen it. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=244835
Besides, if you even got one put on, you might end up only hurting yourself... Everyone does dumb things when they start driving. We all have stories.
i would be willing to spend 3k on it
and i was reading on wikipedia about turbos and im trying to decide if its actually worth it
there seems to be a lot of maintenance to be had
and a lot more stuff to buy if i want things to run smoothly

that other guy said something about increasing my power without boost
how is that done?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

extremely basic tuning without boost is eliminating restrictions in air flow. i.e. intake/header/manifold/full catback exhaust.....however, even when this has been done, to get the full potential out of your car with these upgrades, reflashing your ecu is important in allowing your car to fully accept the gains of power.

again...that's an extremely basic manner of tuning. important things that people don't pay attention to are tires,. doesn't increase power like most people want, but it helps you keep it on the ground (but..with the i.h.m.e. set up you wont have much trouble anyway)

try focusing on those things for now
Old 02-10-2009, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Wow, just wow, not sure where to even begin.

Glad you're asking questions first before just running out and trying something.

For natural-aspirated power gains, the 1NZ-FE will not be able to make significant gains in anywhere near a cost effective manner. You can do a standard intake (short ram is fine), header (4-2-1 I prefer to 4-1 because it has more low-end power) and a cat-back exhaust, 2 1/4" to 2 1/2". This will most likely give 8-12 HP combined for around $800-$1,000. Weapon-R is now offering an intake manifold, but it runs another $600.

There is NO reflash available on our ECU. If you want a leaner tune, you'll have to get a piggyback Greddy eManage, AEM or standalone. Really not worth it without a turbo.

For a turbo, the prices and setup quoted in the other thread may as well be for racing, everything is overengineered. The bare minimum to get by with a safe tune on a stock block (93 octane gas) would be:

- Greddy turbo ($2,507 includes eManage blue)
- AEM UEGO wideband O2 sensor ($260)
- HKS SSQV or Turbo XS blow off valve ($180)
- Greddy turbo timer ($96)
- boost gauge ($50)
- colder spark plugs ($5)

Total about $3100.

All prices are from PTuning since they are an official Greddy dealer and don't shaft you on prices. You may be able to find cheaper on eBay or online but may not have a warranty on the turbo if it arrives broke.

That's it! You'll only make about 114 WHP on an automatic, but that's up from 82 WHP, so it's a noticeable gain. It's honestly not that hard to install, but follow directions and get a proper tune. if you have a 2006, you'll also need a wire harness from Boomslang, the Greddy stock one only works with the 04-05.

There isn't a whole lot of maintanance to do. Switch to synthetic oil, check the turbo feed line to make sure it doesn't leak and watch your O2 and boost gauges to make sure the tune doesn't go lean or the wastegate doesn't fail and overboost. If your exhaust starts putting out blue smoke, the turbo seals are going and oil is leaking in as well. If the install was not done properly however or the part came in bad, there will be other problems from vacuum leaks to ECU malfunction, so a shop close by helps to diagnose problems. Once it's running, it should be fine.

If you want more power, then you'll need to start adding an intercooler, larger injectors, more gauges, eManage ultimate, and possibly an engine build.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he has 4 posts and has been on scionlife for a whole 1 day. he is not going to turbo his xb.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie

There is NO reflash available on our ECU. If you want a leaner tune, you'll have to get a piggyback Greddy eManage, AEM or standalone. Really not worth it without a turbo.
my point was that would be the only way to get more noticeable gains from the upgrades. and youre right, even when doing so, gains are extremely minimal. i was simpling trying to map out the basics, because thats where he should start.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:05 PM
SL Member

i have a 2005 xb btw
standard transmission
Old 02-10-2009, 11:06 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ikonXone
he has 4 posts and has been on scionlife for a whole 1 day. he is not going to turbo his xb.
i've been looking for places that would know about this kind of stuff
Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Wow, just wow, not sure where to even begin.

Glad you're asking questions first before just running out and trying something.

For natural-aspirated power gains, the 1NZ-FE will not be able to make significant gains in anywhere near a cost effective manner. You can do a standard intake (short ram is fine), header (4-2-1 I prefer to 4-1 because it has more low-end power) and a cat-back exhaust, 2 1/4" to 2 1/2". This will most likely give 8-12 HP combined for around $800-$1,000. Weapon-R is now offering an intake manifold, but it runs another $600.

For a turbo, the prices and setup quoted in the other thread may as well be for racing, everything is overengineered. The bare minimum to get by with a safe tune on a stock block (93 octane gas) would be:

- Greddy turbo ($2,507 includes eManage blue)
- AEM UEGO wideband O2 sensor ($260)
- HKS SSQV or Turbo XS blow off valve ($180)
- Greddy turbo timer ($96)
- boost gauge ($50)
- colder spark plugs ($5)

Total about $3100.

All prices are from PTuning since they are an official Greddy dealer and don't shaft you on prices. You may be able to find cheaper on eBay or online but may not have a warranty on the turbo if it arrives broke.

That's it! You'll only make about 114 WHP on an automatic, but that's up from 82 WHP, so it's a noticeable gain. It's honestly not that hard to install, but follow directions and get a proper tune. if you have a 2006, you'll also need a wire harness from Boomslang, the Greddy stock one only works with the 04-05.

There isn't a whole lot of maintanance to do. Switch to synthetic oil, check the turbo feed line to make sure it doesn't leak and watch your O2 and boost gauges to make sure the tune doesn't go lean or the wastegate doesn't fail and overboost. If your exhaust starts putting out blue smoke, the turbo seals are going and oil is leaking in as well. If the install was not done properly however or the part came in bad, there will be other problems from vacuum leaks to ECU malfunction, so a shop close by helps to diagnose problems. Once it's running, it should be fine.

If you want more power, then you'll need to start adding an intercooler, larger injectors, more gauges, eManage ultimate, and possibly an engine build.
all those products you listed, are they off a website?
like, would i need a paypal or mastercard to purchase them, or would i be able to find them at my local parts dealer?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 PM
SL Member

i also have a mechanic that is pretty cheap as far as mechanics go around here
only $40/hr
Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no reason for 4 posts in a row. you could of just made 1 post with the same information.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:28 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ikonXone
no reason for 4 posts in a row. you could of just made 1 post with the same information.
i remembered each thing as i posted it, sorry
i just woke up
Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Banned
SL Member

Before thinking TURBO, just get a nice intake. header, pulley, lighter wheels, exhaust, etc.

That will keep you happy for a while and keep you busy too.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:32 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by OakToddler
Before thinking TURBO, just get a nice intake. header, pulley, lighter wheels, exhaust, etc.

That will keep you happy for a while and keep you busy too.
do i have to buy those off the internet?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Banned
SL Member

OK, now I really stand by what I just wrote.

DO SOME RESEARCH on this site first.

GO ON EBAY.

ONLY GET BRAND NAMES>>>>SHOP AROUND!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:58 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by OakToddler
OK, now I really stand by what I just wrote.

DO SOME RESEARCH on this site first.

GO ON EBAY.

ONLY GET BRAND NAMES>>>>SHOP AROUND!
the problem with buying things online for me is i dont have a paypal or credit card
so the only way i could be able to purchase anything is in person

Quick Reply: I'm wanting to get my xB turbocharged