Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

[edit]How do i put HU into "OVEN"? *DONE! PICS ins

Old 11-15-2007, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default [edit]How do i put HU into "OVEN"? *DONE! PICS ins

[edit]
SCROLL TO VERY BOTTOM FOR PICS OF MY COMPLETED JOB ;)

Hey everyone, well the title says it all, ive seen some pics with peoples aftermarket HU's in their oven, how do i do that? i want to really do that, so i am able to close it too.. and also maybe itll be less "Bumpier" when i go over bumps, seems like now my crappy ol radio kit i bought is so flimzy it bounces up and down when i go over bumps.. skips my music lots, any help is much appreciated
Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Hu in the oven

Its not hard to install a radio into the oven. Heres a list of what needs to be done.

1 Remove oven from dash.

2 Remove oven door this is done by removing the springs that help close the door and then pulling the door to one side till it pops off. Then just slide it off the other side.

3 Cut back end of oven off . How much depends on the radio the oven tapers in toward the back so some radios need more cutting then others. Start small and work your way up till the radio has a snug fit going through the opening. A dremel with a cut off wheel was my tool of choice.

4 Remove sleeve from radio and bend tabs back against themself so they are touching the sleeve. This will help tighten the fit of the radio in the oven and keep it from moving around.

5 Put sleeve back on radio and push the radio with sleeve through the oven until it stops.

6 Replace oven door and check to make sure it closes properly. If you have a radio with large ***** you may have to cut off the card holder in the oven door. This was the case with mine.

7 At this point wire the radios harness into the factory harness.

8 Connect the wire harness to the radio and reinstall the oven. The radio may slide out slightly this is ok just push it back in to the position it needs to be in after installing the oven completley. The radio will probably touch the air ducts in the back of the dash, i know mine does just push a little and the plastic bends to accomidate the radio.

9 Put dash back together and your done.

I know it sounds like a lot but it is not much harder then a normal install. Heres some pics of my finished install.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice.
....and I have just discovered what an oven is O_O

Good place to hide a radio too!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Saaaweeet, Thank you very much for that, i was wondering when i was going to get a reply back on this lol.. its only been 3 days but thank you very much once again and i am going to be doing this on wednesday ;) along with moving my driver and passanger seats up a bit to get more leg room...
Old 11-19-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Head unit in oven

Glad i could help out. Just take your time and it will come out great.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default well, ive done it!! :D:D

Hey thank you very much again for the info, i got home today @ 3:45, started working on it @ 4:05..got done @ 5:11... it was effin EASY AS PIE! to put it in.. i used a diff method for cutting though, what i did was i have a miniature torch from work that they use for soldering, well i brought that home and i heated up a saw that i have, heated it till it was like almost turning red, and i just slid it right through the plastic!! so i cut it all off and stuff pushed it in the first try and it is SNUG AS A BUG IN A RUG ;P didnt even need to screw anything in its so snug, than i found an old luggage that i had laying around and inside there is a hard semi thick plastic bottom to it, i cut it to the desired shape, and made little hooks to put it on, and that is what is covering the big hole where the HU used to sit.. its amazing looks totally stock material, well ill let the pictures speak for the rest oh yeah, and than notice that i still have ability to use the card holder, i only cut a little part of the holder off just so the volume dial can fit in it so the oven door will close properly ;)

Old 11-20-2007, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

nice install, but what do you have planned for the now blocked off original stereo location. A monitor I assume?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he is going to put in an oven so he can cook his meatloaf

http://jalopnik.com/cars/peyton-manning/
Old 11-20-2007, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

lol, no unfortunately they dont have the style of oven i want but hotweelz4me is correct, im in the market for a monitor now, i want to get one and hook it up to a rear view camera and a DVD player.... so hopefully i find one