Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-ice-interior-1616/)
-   -   05 radio in 06 radio in 05... (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-ice-interior-1616/05-radio-06-radio-05-a-29505/)

Petem 07-07-2005 06:25 PM

05 radio in 06 radio in 05...

ok. i know there has been alot of talk about backwards compatibality with 06 radios in 05 tc's... i have read how some people are getting their 06's with 05 radios installed in them and then having to take the car back to the dealer to get them to put in the correct radio.... can anyone confirm if this has trully happened to anyone here .....

i ask because that would atleast confirm that you could use a 06 radio in the 05... maybe not use the ipod connector or the steering remote but that atleast it will plug in and work.... :pray:

lucky 07-07-2005 06:34 PM

I don't know how having an '05 radio in an '06 car would prove that an '06 radio would work in an '05 car.

Fahrenheit 07-07-2005 06:38 PM

I called my dealer to inquire about putting an '06 iPod radio in my '05 tC. He wasn't sure, so he called Toyota, and they informed him that the 2006 radio is NOT backwards-compatible with the 2005. He didn't say why, only that Toyota says that it can't be done... and that ____ed him off because he thought he would sell a lot of '06 radios + installs to guys like me.

Petem 07-07-2005 06:40 PM

if the 05 radio "worked" in an 06.. it would be safe to say that the main connector and wiring is the same.. if not.. then it would not work...

dgHotLava 07-07-2005 06:41 PM

moved...

Petem 07-07-2005 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit
I called my dealer to inquire about putting an '06 iPod radio in my '05 tC. He wasn't sure, so he called Toyota, and they informed him that the 2006 radio is NOT backwards-compatible with the 2005. He didn't say why, only that Toyota says that it can't be done... and that ____ed him off because he thought he would sell a lot of '06 radios + installs to guys like me.

yeah.. that is why im asking.. im not going by what toyota says.. there is someone on this board that looked at the 06 wire diag and compared it to the 05.. and he says that it looks like the main connector is the same.. there is the connector for the new features but that would not matter for just using the radio...

Warren06 07-07-2005 06:47 PM

i got an 06 that came with an 05 radio in it. they haven't swapped it out yet. it works fine but the steering wheel controls don't work.

Petem 07-07-2005 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Warren06
i got an 06 that came with an 05 radio in it. they haven't swapped it out yet. it works fine but the steering wheel controls don't work.

THANKYOU!! THANKYOU!!!! THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i appreciate your response Warren...!!!! :clap:

icdedppl 07-07-2005 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Petem
there is someone on this board that looked at the 06 wire diag and compared it to the 05.. and he says that it looks like the main connector is the same.. there is the connector for the new features but that would not matter for just using the radio...

actually, that was me:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67639

also, see these questions on the faq:
http://home.cfl.rr.com/icdedppl/faq.html#c17
http://home.cfl.rr.com/icdedppl/faq.html#c18
http://home.cfl.rr.com/icdedppl/faq.html#c19

mancide 07-07-2005 07:37 PM

I think Toyota is probably being safe in saying it isn't backwards compatible, but if the harness matches up and we could get the parts for the iPod dock I would be interested in trying to fit this to my car as well.

In THEORY it should work, but until someone gets the balls to try it, or a dealer to hook it up without actually doing any mounting or drilling modifications to a car, we won't know.

Petem 07-07-2005 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by icdedppl

there is someone on this board that looked at the 06 wire diag and compared it to the 05.. and he says that it looks like the main connector is the same.. there is the connector for the new features but that would not matter for just using the radio...

actually, that was me:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67639

also, see these questions on the faq:
http://home.cfl.rr.com/icdedppl/faq.html#c17
http://home.cfl.rr.com/icdedppl/faq.html#c18
http://home.cfl.rr.com/icdedppl/faq.html#c19

thanks icdedppl.. your post was what i had read.. im getting the price for the 06 HU now... if it is too much then ill just pass... but it would be nice to get a volume knob.. the 05 HU volume control and ergonomic suck... i know i could probably get a way better aftermarket HU but i really.. really.. do not like how they look installed in the TC... just throws the look of the console off..

Petem 07-07-2005 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by mancide
I think Toyota is probably being safe in saying it isn't backwards compatible, but if the harness matches up and we could get the parts for the iPod dock I would be interested in trying to fit this to my car as well.

In THEORY it should work, but until someone gets the balls to try it, or a dealer to hook it up without actually doing any mounting or drilling modifications to a car, we won't know.

depending on the price.. im going to give it a shot... but it all comes down to what it will cost... im getting/waiting for a price from sparks as im typing this..

icdedppl 07-07-2005 07:49 PM

actually, i spoke with tCarloRS1.0 and said that he was going to try it...

the issue is that the 2006 car has a wiring harness already ran for the ipod option even if you don't use it. it's kind of like the fog light harness. the plug is there even if you don't use it. but the 2005 does not have the ipod harness, so you'll have to "make your own."

also, there's 16 different wires for the ipod harness that plugs up to the back of the radio. the standard harness that is used on the hu only uses 12! but i assume you could run your own wires if you had the diagram and knew which one's were which. i probably wouldn't even consider attempting this unless you had the wiring diagrams because there are so many wires *just* for the ipod plug.

so yeah, if anyone wants to attempt to wire in a new harness to a 2nd gen hu in their 2005 and get it working with an ipod, be my guest. as i told tCarloRS1.0, if you do attempt it and *actually* get it working, take lots of pics haha.

icdedppl 07-07-2005 07:52 PM

thanks icdedppl.. your post was what i had read.. im getting the price for the 06 HU now... if it is too much then ill just pass... but it would be nice to get a volume knob.. the 05 HU volume control and ergonomic suck... i know i could probably get a way better aftermarket HU but i really.. really.. do not like how they look installed in the TC... just throws the look of the console off..

you're welcome.

and if you're just looking to get the *standard* 2nd gen NON-ipod version hu, then you'll be fine. just take out the 1st gen hu you have and replace it. the harnesses match up just fine.

but if you wanted to get the ipod hu and get it working with an ipod in your 2005, good luck, haha!

mancide 07-07-2005 07:56 PM

the issue is that the 2006 car has a wiring harness already ran for the ipod option even if you don't use it. it's kind of like the fog light harness. the plug is there even if you don't use it. but the 2005 does not have the ipod harness, so you'll have to "make your own."

also, there's 16 different wires for the ipod harness that plugs up to the back of the radio. the standard harness that is used on the hu only uses 12! but i assume you could run your own wires if you had the diagram and knew which one's were which. i probably wouldn't even consider attempting this unless you had the wiring diagrams because there are so many wires *just* for the ipod plug.

so yeah, if anyone wants to attempt to wire in a new harness to a 2nd gen hu in their 2005 and get it working with an ipod, be my guest. as i told tCarloRS1.0, if you do attempt it and *actually* get it working, take lots of pics haha.

Why can this part not be purchased? What if one "burnt up"? Don't they want to sell one to the 2006 owners to replace a "damaged" one? What about getting this harness from someone with a 2006 that ISN'T going to use it or is going to go with an aftermarket setup?

:P

I want to keep all options open, I understand that they ran this already, and maybe that's where they are saying "it won't work", which it would if they'd just sell us the wires.

Petem 07-07-2005 08:01 PM

Why can this part not be purchased? What if one "burnt up"? Don't they want to sell one to the 2006 owners to replace a "damaged" one? What about getting this harness from someone with a 2006 that ISN'T going to use it or is going to go with an aftermarket setup?

I want to keep all options open, I understand that they ran this already, and maybe that's where they are saying "it won't work", which it would if they'd just sell us the wires.

i agree... i think toyota is missing a chance to sell product...

icdedppl 07-07-2005 08:05 PM

well, it's a harness and it's *integrated* in with all the other wires and cabling in the car so it's not some part that can actually be sold. and sure, toyota or a 3rd party might make and sell an adapter (3rd party is more likely) so that you can take the 2nd gen ipod hu, put it in your '05 and use your ipod. but how many people right now (other than you :P ) is going to want something like this? i mean, without the demand, i just don't see it happening. although, in time, with the next gen of xa/xb's getting the same ipod hu, there may be enough demand for older vehicles to want to do this and hopefully someone will make the adapter.

but *for now*, if you really want to get this to work, you're probably gonna have to get in there and start hacking haha.

SCIONyd_tC 07-08-2005 12:13 AM

also the 05 has no aux button, therefore if u get an o6 ith the o5 hu, toyo has to replace it - they replaced mine!

mancide 07-08-2005 01:04 PM

well, it's a harness and it's *integrated* in with all the other wires and cabling in the car so it's not some part that can actually be sold. and sure, toyota or a 3rd party might make and sell an adapter (3rd party is more likely) so that you can take the 2nd gen ipod hu, put it in your '05 and use your ipod. but how many people right now (other than you :P ) is going to want something like this? i mean, without the demand, i just don't see it happening. although, in time, with the next gen of xa/xb's getting the same ipod hu, there may be enough demand for older vehicles to want to do this and hopefully someone will make the adapter.

but *for now*, if you really want to get this to work, you're probably gonna have to get in there and start hacking haha.

What else runs with it? I've had my 05 dash apart enough to know only the second power outlet has wires running down that way, and that's run from the other power outlet. So I don't understand what else they would have put in that wire bunch. Anything you could enlighten us with would be great.

I guess we'd probably have to put a request for someone with an 06 who is going aftermarket who would be willing to pull that wireharness out and sell it? Is this the most likely path?