Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

05 xB replacement radio advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:33 PM
sgf
5 Year Member

Default 05 xB replacement radio advice

A few years after I bought my xB new I got a Sansa clip MP3 player. I have always missed having an MP3 plug in port on the stock radio. My radio is beginning to give me a lot of trouble when I try to eject a CD. It sometimes takes twenty tried before it ejects. This has led me to explore radio replacement options.

Here are the details.

1. 95% of the radio's use is listening to audio books on CD during my 70 min. one-way work commute.

2. I am not an audio guy looking for bumping bass etc. That said the radio must be loud enough for a guy with bad hearing to be able to hear it.

3. I will keep the stock speakers.

4. It must have a jack where I can plug in the Sans Clip MP3 player.

5. I do not care if the radio is aftermarket or stock, or a used stock radio, but it must plug into the 05 xB's stock wiring harness without modification.

6. Must have an MP3 capable CD player.

7. I do not want to pay much over $100 since I think my requirements are pretty basic.

I look forward to your recommendations.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The newer factory Scion radios will work, but I know the 08+ radios do not have an 3.5mm input on the face, they connect through a harness into a jack somewhere else in the car. You need this harness, and its more hassle than its worth. For this reason, I would suggest going aftermarket. The differences between aftermarket stereos under $100 is going to be mainly cosmetic. Find one with controls and a screen you like and go for it. If you purchase through a site like Crutchfield, it'll come with instruction and the parts necessary to make installation a snap.
I would suggest sticking to Kenwood, Pioneer and Alpine, although there are a few other decent brands (higher end JVC and Sony). Can't go wrong with those three though. The following link is a list of recievers from Crutchfield, filtered to those criteria (Kenwood/Pioneer/Alpine, <$100, AUX input)

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/Car...t&price=60-100