Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Wire Color Identification

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wire Color Identification

Yesterday I installed a keyless entry alarm system on my 2005 Box. Here's some info I discovered while installing my Viper alarm.

Did NOT use the door pins to trigger the alarm. It wont work. There are four door pins and one cargo door switch. I thought using just one (negative alarm trigger) door pin to trigger the alarm would work, and it did, but just with the one single door pin.
When I attempted to connect a second door pin, it caused the xB to think a door was always open. So the door pins were a No-Go.

I tried to use the dome light (positive alarm trigger), but this didn't work either. I don't know why. I think it has something to do with the light as it turns off. The dome light fades to off.

I ended up using the door trigger wire on the fuse box. This wire is located on the fuse box. and it connects to the Door Control Module.....the door control module is why the door and dome light option (as mentioned above) were not working for me and my particular alarm.

For the unlock keyless entry feature, I used the front passenger keyed door 'unlock' wire located behind the passenger kick panel. The reason for this is because the passenger key hole unlocks all doors with one try. (Drivers door needs two unlock turns to unlock all doors).

The most confusing part of the installation were the connections for the Remote Power Windows, Remote Start and the Extended Range Vehicle Radio Antenna Feature.......now I know why car alarms are so expensive. You're not paying for the electronics, you're paying for
the time and knowledge of installation.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-16-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Did you use window modules for the power window addition? Also, you could have used a double pulse for all door unlock on single button press.

Be warned, your Viper alarm isn't covered under warranty since you installed it yourself. a handful of years back DEI made Viper an exclusive authorized dealer install only warranty type of thing.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-16-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used a "Directed Electronics" module for the power window feature.

I was aware of the "double pulse" programmable option built into the Viper alarm. But after reading the entire installation manual, I thought it would be easier to tap into the passenger door unlock wire than to learn how to do all the programming things that this alarm is capable of.

Two days later and I am now familiar with most of the alarms features and the programming procedure for those features. Got the windows programmed, the interior lights, proximity range, garage door opener, exterior lights, glass sensor, automatic ignition door locks, engine start up
time, engine smart start, silent arming/disarming.

This is the most expensive car security system I have ever bought. It can control a lot more features than my xB is equipped with. Main reason for going with this particular Viper system is because my insurance company discounted my bi-annual full coverage insurance payment $125.
So basically I'm saving $250 a year just for having this alarm on my Box........3 years from now and it will have paid for itself.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-16-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:05 AM

@18TTony I’m looking to install a keyless entry with remote start to my wife’s xA and am looking for wiring specs on it.

Could you point me in the right direction for diagram I have the install guide for the avital just need the xA diagram.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-16-2018 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by Blackedxa
@18TTony I’m looking to install a keyless entry with remote start to my wife’s xA and am looking for wiring specs on it.
You do realize that '18TTony' was last active on here over a year ago, right? You should be able to find wiring specs online or within the Toyota Service Manuals if you can find them.
They used to be available online until Toyota sent out 'Cease and Desist' letters to the folks who were hosting them.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-16-2018 at 03:57 PM.