Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-ice-interior-1616/)
-   -   2004 Stock Head Unit vs Aftermarket question.. (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-ice-interior-1616/2004-stock-head-unit-vs-aftermarket-question-237009/)

aghily 03-08-2019 12:06 AM

2004 Stock Head Unit vs Aftermarket question..

So what's the consensus on replacing the stock head unit with an aftermarket one? I have an 2004 RS 1.0 xB with the stock Pioneer head unit but lacks Aux Jack or Bluetooth capability.
I found an adapter online that hooks in the back that will give me this functionality for about $130 or so. Is the original system better sounding than lets say a $150/$200 unit I can pick up at Crutchfields?

My stock system doesn't have a factory sub or separate amp to deal with, does it?

Thx!

_________

2stroked 03-08-2019 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by aghily (Post 4293052)
So what's the consensus on replacing the stock head unit with an aftermarket one? I have an 2004 RS 1.0 xB with the stock Pioneer head unit but lacks Aux Jack or Bluetooth capability.
I found an adapter online that hooks in the back that will give me this functionality for about $130 or so. Is the original system better sounding than lets say a $150/$200 unit I can pick up at Crutchfields?

My stock system doesn't have a factory sub or separate amp to deal with, does it?

Thx!

_________

The OEM head unit has pretty decent sound for what it is - or was 15 years ago. Technology has come a long way and replacing the head unit is a pretty simple job. I replaced mine a while back for the exact same reasons you are thinking of replacing yours. Bluetooth was the biggest reason. Beware though. I've tried several different head units and none of their Bluetooth features work anywhere near as well as the OEM Bluetooth in my Tacoma. Too much background noise.

If you want my 2 cents, you're far better off replacing your unit for something with everything you want than to spend $130 for an adapter for your current unit.

Big_Jim 03-08-2019 04:18 PM

you're better off spending the money and getting an aftermarket headunit.

aghily 03-09-2019 10:58 PM

Agreed. I'll go to Crutchfield and be done with it.

Thanks!

______

phatcyclist 03-31-2019 06:23 AM

I went through several OE headunits before I replaced mine with an aftermarket one, and highly recommend going the aftermarket route. I have a Pioneer that I'm sure is discontinued at this point, but I've had fairly good luck with the brand over the years. That said, the reason I changed my OE headunits was disc loading and unloading problems, and some of their aftermarket units have this problem after a while too. I installed stereos at a shop for a while, but it was over a decade ago so I'm out of the loop, but Pioneer or Alpine are the top two "consumer" brands in my opinion. Kenwood is alright but I've seen quite a few of them fail after just a few years.