Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-ice-interior-1616/)
-   -   2006 iPod Headunit review & walkthrough (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-ice-interior-1616/2006-ipod-headunit-review-walkthrough-33651/)

boxista 08-31-2005 05:19 PM

2006 iPod Headunit review & walkthrough

Just want to give an enthusiastic recommendation for the 2006 iPod headunit upgrade option. My xB came with the stock unit and rather than order a car with one installed, I went ahead and paid the $260 for the upgrade and did the swap myself to save the $155 installation fee the dealership quoted me (whiskey tango foxtrot!! LOL). The swap was fast and easy to do, and can be done in about 15-20 minutes if you know what needs to be done. I can do a walkthrough with photos if necessary, but it's very straightforward.

Anyways, the purpose of this thread is to demo the features of the new iPod headunit. The stock headunit has an AUX in plug, which allows you to use your iPod or other MP3 player via a miniplug lead plugged into the MP3 player's headphone out, but the downside is that you can't charge or control your MP3 player through the headunit's controls. In the week or so I had the stock headunit installed, I found this to be inconvenient and pretty distracting. The upgrade headunit is a big improvement in this regard, and allows you to basically leave your iPod in the car and use it like an uber-CD changer, if you want.

But how well does it work? Based on the reviews I've read of aftermarket iPod interfaces and iPod-capable headunits, it sounds like it works as well or better than anything currently available from the aftermarket.

Flipping through songs is fast and easy, and while you don't have 100% of the functionality available in the iPod, you do have access to your songs organized by Playlists, Artists, and Albums. You can also browse through the entire song library via the Songs menu. Switching between each menu is instantaneous, easily as fast as the normal iPod interface (i.e. no delay whatsoever). Also, browsing songs is just as fast as on the iPod (no delay whatsoever).

I found the stereo's Multi Selector knob to be very useful and intiutive...it works just like the iPod's click wheel. It is a rotary knob that can also be moved like a gamepad in each of the four cardinal directions (i.e. up, down, left, right) as well as in (to select a menu or song). Browsing is easy; you push either right or left, or rotate the dial, to move between options in a menu or songs, depending on where you are. You press up to move up a menu, and you press in on the knob to select something. Works well for me!

Beyond that, the iPod turns on when you turn the ignition on, and goes into pause mode when you turn the ignition off. As iPod owners know, if the iPod is paused for more than about 2 minutes, the iPod itself will power down, so this means that your iPod won't run its charge off (which is very easy to have happen with the stock headunit if you forget to pause the iPod when you park, assuming you are leaving it in the car).

Criticisms, such as they are: I don't particularly care for the location chosen for either the AUX or iPod jacks. On the xB, this is located between the gear shift and the emergency brake. While having the upgrade headunit means there's only one cable down there (as opposed to needing both a audio line to the AUX input and a power cable to the cigarette lighter), it's not a very elegant solution in my opinion. Since the iPod's controls do not function when it is plugged in to the headunit (perhaps a downside for some, but irrelevant for me), there's no real reason to have access to the iPod or even have it in sight. Personally, I'd rather have the iPod jack be located in the small "oven" storage box in the center console so that you could have the device out of sight in case you leave it in the car, and out of the way while you are driving. I hate the cluttered caused by all the wires needed to power my various gadgets and gizmos, so anything I can do to eliminate that clutter is desireable.

Beyond that, it's hard for me to find much to criticize. I almost always listen to music on my iPod using playlists, so I really don't miss having access to the Composer and other obscure (to me) sorting options. Shuffling between songs is fast, but you can only start at the beginning and then have to page through song by song (just like on the iPod) so if you've got a lot of music it may be a challenge to find something. However, that is not an efficient search method considering the alternatives (i.e. Artist and Album menus) so I'm not really concerned as I wouldn't think to look for a song that way in the first place.

It would be nice if the full artist, song, or album title scrolled across the headunit's screen while a song was playing, similar to the iPod, but it's not really necssary. If I've counted correctly, the headunit displays the first 14 characters of a playlist, song, artist or album title, so there's plenty of information there to figure out what it is you're listening to. But a direct emulation of the iPod's scrolling features would be nice for a bit of "bling" factor, I guess.

All in all, the iPod upgrade headunit does just about everything I care about with my iPod, and totally works for me. It's a huge and unmistakeable improvement over the stock headunit setup. Sound quality is definitely superior and the safety and convenience of being able to control the iPod through the headunit is worth the upgrade price alone.

Alright, after that perhaps overly long review, let's look at the darn thing already!

The AUX and iPod cable jacks located between the front seats:
http://stevelange.net/images/xb_ipod/01.jpg

The iPod cable plugged in:
http://stevelange.net/images/xb_ipod/02.jpg

The overall setup:
http://stevelange.net/images/xb_ipod/03.jpg

The Scion screen that displays on the iPod when the iPod is plugged in:
http://stevelange.net/images/xb_ipod/04.jpg

One way of having the setup arranged. I use the Scion-provided black beer cooler gizmo holder in the rear cupholder and run the cable alongside the e-brake in the small tray area, to keep it out of the way while driving. Not elegant, not pretty to look at, but it works:
http://stevelange.net/images/xb_ipod/05.jpg

The iPod upgrade headunit in FM stereo mode:
http://stevelange.net/images/xb_ipod/06.jpg

When you plug in the iPod, you get some feedback on the headunit's screen. This shows for about three or four seconds:
http://stevelange.net/images/xb_ipod/09.jpg

Notice the small "iPod" icon that displays on the far left side of the screen when the iPod is connected:
http://stevelange.net/images/xb_ipod/07.jpg

This is the screen display when a song is playing. Notice the "RANDOM" (shuffle), "RPT" (repeat), "<<" (rewind) and ">>" (fastforward) options accessed via the numbered preset buttons. Also notice the right side of the screen where the navigation options available via the Multi Selector knob are indicated (i.e. track skip forward/back, and "up" to toplevel menu options including Playlists, Artists, Albums, Songs):
http://stevelange.net/images/xb_ipod/10.jpg

Playlists toplevel menu:
http://stevelange.net/images/xb_ipod/11.jpg

Artists toplevel menu:
http://stevelange.net/images/xb_ipod/12.jpg

Albums toplevel menu:
http://stevelange.net/images/xb_ipod/13.jpg

Songs toplevel menu:
http://stevelange.net/images/xb_ipod/14.jpg

Browsing through Songs listings:
http://stevelange.net/images/xb_ipod/15.jpg

And that's pretty much it! This headunit also includes the color features from last year's 6 CD changer upgrade option, as well as the same SSP (Scion Sound Processing) equalizer functionality of the stock radio.. The knob interface is WAY nicer than the stock headunit's controls. They alone are worth the upgrade in my humble opinion. Actually, I think that this unit should be the stock unit, and they should just do away with the stock stereo.

Hope it helps anyone looking at new Scions, or considering an upgrade!

Steve

boxlver 08-31-2005 08:52 PM

i was wondering if you could do a walkthrough like you said on the swap. this is very appealing to me and i th ink i just may do it the way that you did.

thanks

B3ND3R 09-01-2005 02:44 AM

Thanks for the great write-up!

I do believe I will be adding an '06 upgrade HU to my '05.

aychse7en 09-01-2005 03:35 AM

does that deck have RCA preamp outs on it?
i'm trying to figure out why its so popular when you could get a good alpine deck and the ipod adapter cheaper than the OEM 06. plus you'd have better sound quality.

Jo2 09-01-2005 03:50 AM

does it charge the ipod when not in use?

sexyscionlover 09-01-2005 03:56 AM

moved to ICE

bBlover 09-01-2005 04:46 AM

Will my iPod Color still have Scion on it?? If so I love this headunit and you can still change the colors of the Headunit right??

boxista 09-01-2005 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by boxlver
i was wondering if you could do a walkthrough like you said on the swap. this is very appealing to me and i th ink i just may do it the way that you did.

OK, here's a quick and dirty, should get you through it:

Tools needed: Phillips head screwdriver, medium size.

1) Remove the center console following the instructions in this thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23214

2) Remove the stock headunit. This is very simple, there are just four screws holding it in place, two each side. They hold the mounting brackets (which are themselves bolted to the headunit) to the console mounting frame. Will be self-explanatory as soon as you see it.

3) After unplugging all cables from the headunit, note the piece of grey foam rubber wrapped around the wiring harness. Remove this grey foam rubber and inside you will find... the iPod cable and male plug!

4) Remove brackets from stock headunit and install them on upgrade iPod headunit. Install iPod upgrade headunit. Plug in all cables, including the newly-uncovered iPod lead. Replace center console dash.

5) Carefully pull up the small piece of plastic with the AUW input located between the gear____ and the e-brake. Stick a finger underneath it from the e-brake slot and lift up, it will pop right out.

6) Pop out the blank punchout and install the iPod plug assembly into it (iPod plug assembly comes with the new headunit kit).

7) Reach forward about 1-2" into the area opened up between gearshift and e-brake and locate the white plug which should be taped to some of the wiring in there. This is the other end of the iPod lead which you previously plugged into the new headunit. Carefully break the tape holding it to the wiring and then remove the protective cover from the male plug it is attached to. Plug the male plug into the female end of the lead coming off the iPod plug assembly.

8) Reinstall the trim piece with the iPod plug assembly and AUW input.

9) Enjoy your new iPod headunit! :)

Steve

boxista 09-01-2005 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by aychse7en
does that deck have RCA preamp outs on it?
i'm trying to figure out why its so popular when you could get a good alpine deck and the ipod adapter cheaper than the OEM 06. plus you'd have better sound quality.

No RCA jacks on this headunit or the stock one.

Well, I haven't used the Alpine headunits, so I can't compare. However, there does not appear to be any limitations on number of songs (unlike the Alpine unit). And I find the sound quality to be excellent with the iPod, way better than it was through the headphone jack. I haven't found the SSP EQ controls to be that much of a bother. I am not an audiophile, however, and considering how noisy the xB is, I suspect if one is an audiophile there are better, quieter cars out there to enjoy one's music in. For my purposes, I'm totally stoked.

Also, when I was trying to decide whether to go with this headunit or an aftermarket one, I looked into the costs. I couldn't find anything comparable for the $260 this upgrade cost me. I guess I could have tried to sell my stock headunit on eBay or something, maybe gotten $100 for it (maybe?) and then spent around $300-400 on headunit plus iPod interface, but I'm not sure I would've ended up with anything better than this headunit. It really does seem to work extremely well. To each their own.

Steve

boxista 09-01-2005 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jo2
does it charge the ipod when not in use?

I believe so. I will have to double check and get back to you, though. Not 100% positive.

Steve

boxista 09-01-2005 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by bBlover
Will my iPod Color still have Scion on it?? If so I love this headunit and you can still change the colors of the Headunit right??

AFAIK, the "SCION" text shows up on any iPod connected to the headunit.

Yes, this headunit still has colors. A bunch of 'em. I like Tangerine the best because it matches the colors of all the other lights in the dash. There's also a "Mixer" mode which cycles through the colors. Only changes the colors of the screen, not the headunit controls.

Steve

bBlover 09-01-2005 06:13 PM

What is AFAIK??

boxista 09-01-2005 09:06 PM

Google results for AFAIK

Steve

phatcyclist 09-01-2005 09:45 PM

Dang, I would almost like to get an 06 headunit because i just bought an iPod, and my older Pioneer head unit won't do changer controlls on it. However, the 06 Scion headunit doesn't have pre-amp (RCA) outputs, and adjustable high and low pass crossovers....

Such a conundrum!

iceblink1975 09-01-2005 11:08 PM

The 260 dollars is only if yu are buying a new scion, and not upgrading the HU on an 05 for example. Then it is a lot more money and pays to get an after market stereo. I find this unit to have great sound quality, but I find it annoying if you have a lot of artists or songs. I feel like I am scrolling forever. Also if you stop scrolling for too long then next thing you know the screen returns to the current track info, and you have to start all over again!!!!! The scroll should be able to start from where you left off.

For example if you are scrolling through artists and want to get to an artist starting with "S" you have to start at "A" always. If you stop for too long on your way to "S" then you have to start over again all the way from "A"!!!!

Hope that makes sense. An annoying quirk, but I still like this choice better then an FM modulator or controlling the IPOD while driving.

aychse7en 09-01-2005 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by boxista
However, there does not appear to be any limitations on number of songs (unlike the Alpine unit).

hmm, wasn't aware of that one. something to look out for. :ponder:

And I find the sound quality to be excellent with the iPod, way better than it was through the headphone jack.

that will always be the case on any AUX device being run from the headphone jack. i'm cheap, and i like to control my ipod manually, so i plan on picking up the PocketDock. $25 gets you line-level out on your ipod. same as what the 06 ipod HU gets.

I couldn't find anything comparable for the $260 this upgrade cost me.

i know its a little late, but for the people wanting to go aftermarket with ipod control on the cheap, etronics.com has the alpine 9847 for $160 and the ipod adapter for $90. they are a trusted seller on resellerratings.com. this is a great option if you plan on adding subs or upgrading speakers in the future.

sorry if i hijacked the thread, just throwing out other options. honestly, i've always liked going the OEM route too.. but on the other hand, i always hear that the the sound quality coming from OEM units doesn't compare to a decent aftermarket HU. plus the ability to add a sub later on... i'm torn :ponder:

DarkNick 09-02-2005 03:15 AM

2 quick questions:Does the ipod connection work for the ipod shuffle? Also, What kind of connection is the "universal mp3 player plug"?

aychse7en 09-02-2005 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by DarkNick
2 quick questions:Does the ipod connection work for the ipod shuffle? Also, What kind of connection is the "universal mp3 player plug"?

the ipod adapter uses the dock connector on regular ipods and ipod minis, so i doubt it will work with the shuffle unless it uses the same connector.

the universal mp3 player plug is just standard 1/8" plug like for headphones

boxista 09-02-2005 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by aychse7en
sorry if i hijacked the thread, just throwing out other options. honestly, i've always liked going the OEM route too.. but on the other hand, i always hear that the the sound quality coming from OEM units doesn't compare to a decent aftermarket HU. plus the ability to add a sub later on... i'm torn :ponder:

It's good to have options! I was trying to do the same thing, actually. From reading threads around here it's almost like it's assumed that the OEM radio choices are just pure crap that should be tossed away at first opportunity, but honestly I'm quite happy with this headunit. For people with 2006 cars it's an option worth considering IMHO. For those with 04s and 05s the aftermarket is probably the better route. And I suspect that the next generation of aftermarket iPod interfaces and iPod-capable headunits will be far better (and cheaper) than this first generation stuff. Eventually I can't imagine why having iPod capability wouldn't become a standard feature on almost all aftermarket radios, like CD changer controls seem to be.

Steve

Monday 05-06-2009 02:59 AM

okay, i have searched ALL over and cannot find a definitive "yes" or "no" on whether or not i can DISABLE the head-unit control of my ipod. I have also done lots of searching to try to find a manual for my head unit (06 XB stock, so its pioneer t1806).

i CANT STAND the head unit control of the ipod. It absolutely sucks compared the standard, intuitive, amazing ipod click wheel. I am a very OCD music fan, i only listen to full albums, so no playlists, shuffles, or etc... and i have TONS of artists on my ipod. It takes way too long to scroll through them with the head unit.

I have found answers on how to do this on the newer head units (power off, hold down the audio control button until it gives the option, or something like that) but was unable to do it on this head unit.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I would love to use the ipod connector for better sound quality and built-in charging, but i will have to switch to AUX if i can't figure this out!