Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Adding power outlets

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:12 PM
SL Member
SL Member

Default Adding power outlets

One is not enough.

I'd like to add one up on the dash for my GPS which needs the cord out there to pick up digital traffic.

I want to add another in the rear to power the electric cooler for trips.

Can I tap into the tail light circuit for the rear or will the amps needed to run the cooler blow out the fuse.

If I tap into something under the hood for power how do I route it into the dash ?

TIA
Bobb
Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 AM

Hi Bobb,
I was thinking about doing this myself. I was thinking about putting a 2 port plug in the dash / cup thing facing up. And putting a 3 port on the back of the console for the passengers. You could tap the rear light circuit, but I don't recommend it as your lights would have to be on for them to get electricity. You could use the "add a fuse" option to an exiting circuit on the fuse panel. I've seen lots of those. Or you could take a positive lead off the battery and make your own circuit. Thats what I'm going to do (just make sure you have an inline fuse). If you don't know much about car wiring / electric please google away. And www.the12volt.com is a great recource as well. I've learned a lot there.