Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Can you imagine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member

Default Can you imagine?

Okay, here's the deal. I'm from Canada and I want an xB real bad! I've found a dealership to get it from (Bitterroot Motors in Missoula MT), I've made maps etc on how to get there, where to stop for food, how to get back home to edmonton, yadda yadda.

I can for sure get insurance, and I don't mind driving it allll the way back, but the one major thing holding me back is the fack that the speedo is in mph, and I, living in Canada and all, need kph.

I've come to understand that in Japan, they also use kph, and there bB is the same as the xB right? So I'm wondering if it possible to get a kph speedo. I imagine that it would be "JDM" right? Would it plug right in?

Can anyone shed some light onto this subject, because I REALLY want to be the first Canadian owner of a Scion... Thanks in advance, and I hope I can be a long time member of this sweet forum.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Welcome to the boards little_one!!! Nice to see our neighbors up north are getting excited too Now I'm no expert, but wouldn't it just be a matter of buying a KPH speedometer and popping it in the dash, and calibrating it accordingly? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems easy enough to do... (unless it voids your warranty?)

Edit: now that I've actually read your post :p I don't see why it wouldn't just plug right in, since they are technically the same car. Like I said, you may need to calibrate it, but it should be fairly straightforward.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it would require very little work at all. the speedo electronics are behind the face of the guages. just change the face to one with the right readout, and ur done...
Old 05-20-2004, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member

Would I have to import a new guage? I don't want to cut a hole in the dash and throw in an after market speedo, I'de like it to look as stock as possible...

Do you guys know of and JDM importers websites? can www.bbist.com do it?
Old 05-20-2004, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

What market are you going to get the kph speedo from? The bB is RHD, the speedo is on the opposite side of the idiot lights but its all one piece.

Besides, you're making it too complicated! The USDM speedo has kph markings also:

*Blue tinting sold sperately

The one other thing I read that was stopping a Canuck from buying a Scion was the Daytime headlight thing. I think they make kits to fix that tho... Good luck.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the actual guages are covered by a thin plastic sheet with the markings on it. if u can get that sheet of a japanese model, all u have to do is pop off the needles, change the plastic plate, and put the needles back. no cutting, no wiring, nothin crazy like that, just a matter of getting the right part, but that shouldnt be hard...i wouldnt think...

but, as was mentioned, it has kph markings, so i wouldnt worry about it
Old 05-21-2004, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member

you guys rock! seriously, thank you for checking into that for me... much appreciated

regarding the daytime headlight things... what about them? i'm not sure i understand completly.

i'm so excited! now all i need is 20,000 bucks... well, i guess 18,000 plus some spare change cdn. i've checked out http://www.riv.ca/ and made sure that it's admissable.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

changing the speedo from Mph to Kph isnt that easy. its not just changing the gauges. its also changing the speed sensor for a japanese one that reads in Kph. this was a big problem wen my friend put an sr20 into his 240 by himself. he forgot to change the speed sensor and his gauges were going crazy.

just my 2 cents.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Kib
5 Year Member

RE: Daylight Running Lights - Canada

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...&highlight=drl

...near end of thread

Let us know if you're able to make it happen !

Good luck
Old 05-21-2004, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Check this module on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710
Old 05-22-2004, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member

thanks to everyone for their help. I know basicaly everything I need to do befor I can import my xB, now i'm just working on getting some funding...
i'm getting some saftey certificates so I can work in the oil industry and make some cash. so hopefully in a few months i'll be able to go pay for it with cash.