Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Custom Speedo Face XB/XA

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Radiodude
I am definitily feeling a number Rs1 face exclusive to each car!

My buddy (mostly) and I made my RS1's guages a little unique. I need to do some more work to them but check them out so far in my profile.... as well as my other little mods.

-will
I was just thinking of that on my way home from work today. I like the look of yours for the lava.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll pass on this one...
Old 02-02-2005, 04:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chadfo
Latest update to the red/black/white speedo. This one's in my car now. I'm still having a problem with the LEDs washing the color at night. I realize it's going to happen some but I'm being picky and I really don't like it where the LED are. I don't have any installed pics yet. I'll get some tomorrow.

i need this 1
Old 02-02-2005, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm willing to try and make whatever everyone wants. Until I find a better method anyone who gets one will just have to accept that the color will wash some at night and there will be hotspots where the LEDS are and a dark spot where the low fuel indicator is. I'll get pics tomorrow so everyone can see what I'm referring to. My last thought at the moment is to take my file somewhere that can print on a color laser printer to see if the toner has better control over the lighting.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

im interested in one as well...but i dont know what i want on it....maybe like a scion logo in the background..... check my profile for the specs on my car and if can incorporate a design with some of that stuff ill defintaly buy one off of you.....even just the image file...and i can get it printed at kinkos or somethign
Old 02-03-2005, 05:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chadfo
I'm willing to try and make whatever everyone wants. Until I find a better method anyone who gets one will just have to accept that the color will wash some at night and there will be hotspots where the LEDS are and a dark spot where the low fuel indicator is. I'll get pics tomorrow so everyone can see what I'm referring to. My last thought at the moment is to take my file somewhere that can print on a color laser printer to see if the toner has better control over the lighting.
dude kinkoz got u covered.... kinko
Old 02-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

Instead of trying a new printer why not new material what type are you using right now?!!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm in SC. I don't think we are advanced enough for Kinkos. There's not a Kinkos around here.

My first attempt was on a transparency. My second attempt was on photo paper. The ink simply doesn't block enough light. That's why I was thinking a laser printer because toner is just super small beads of plastic. Maybe the plastic will control the light better. Don't get me wrong. The faces do look ok at night but where the LEDs are is my biggest aggravation.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Banned

can u post some pics?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Here you go. I tested this face alone and decided to try masking it from the rear. Unfortunately I didn't have the proper supplies or equipment/skills so I used electrical tape and cut it out to hide most of the light. Having it cut in vinyl by a pro might be the trick for this style face.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in as well. What kind of price were you thinking of charging?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is all conjecture as I've never actually taken the gauge apart, but I think I can be of service here.

What you need to do is find a material similar to the translucent plastic that the stock piece is made of. After that, you should get everything in black cut in vinyl (should be cheap, you've already got your vector graphic so all the shop will need to do is cut it for you) and everything colored cut in translucent vinyl. It might be a pain in the ___, but you'll rake in the cash if you charge $25 for each one of these. (I'd throw down that much for a custom colored face).

I suggest you hit up a well-stocked art store. Ask one of the employees to find you something similar to your gauge material.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm not sure yet. That will depend on the design and what it takes to produce them. Do you think $200 is too much. Just kidding. Unless I have to do something really crazy I doubt any would be more than $30.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Max2k
This is all conjecture as I've never actually taken the gauge apart, but I think I can be of service here.

What you need to do is find a material similar to the translucent plastic that the stock piece is made of. After that, you should get everything in black cut in vinyl (should be cheap, you've already got your vector graphic so all the shop will need to do is cut it for you) and everything colored cut in translucent vinyl. It might be a pain in the ___, but you'll rake in the cash if you charge $25 for each one of these. (I'd throw down that much for a custom colored face).

I suggest you hit up a well-stocked art store. Ask one of the employees to find you something similar to your gauge material.
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of hitting up an arts a crafts store for more supplies. I don't know about the vinyl for a few reasons. 1. It's not very cheap to get things cut especially the several layers it would take to make one of these. 2. Putting the different layers together and making sure they are lined up properly would be a bear. Little things like the marks don't like to stick well and stay put. 3. Using vinyl would limit the colors available. However, I was thinking of getting vinyl cut to mask it from the rear.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, vinyl could definitely work for masking off the back. What you really need is some translucent plastic that you can run though a color laser printer or some other high quality process.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might want to look at some really lightweight Yupo for starters. It's white plastic sheeting that watercolor painters use.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yupo. Cool, thanks! I imagine if watercolors will stick to it, inkjet ink will.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm in if you could hook me up with an Ironcross design, like my avatar.
Great looking work!

MattB
Old 02-05-2005, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Can you employ the same methods they use as screen printing Tshirts? I don't know much, and I certainly dont have your ingenuity, but you are doing an INCREDIBLE job. I'd love to get one in blue with the bB symbol. The other thing I have seen is "The Classic Black Box" Perhaps you can do something the relates to more than just the RS series. Something for each color. Keep up the awesome work! I'll be a customer soon!
Old 02-05-2005, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks again for the compliments. They are helping drive me to find a workable method of producing these.

I haven't found any yupo yet.

Sure I can do one with the iron cross. I thought of 5 or 6 ideas just after reading your post.

I don't know about the screen printing. I haven't checked into it but I'm pretty sure it takes some specialized equipment and can get a little costly, particularly just for one face. I think what everyone really likes about this post is that I can customize something just for them and keep it cheap. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definately see what I can find and if anyone reading this knows about it, please share.

Quick Reply: Custom Speedo Face XB/XA