Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Disabling keys in ignition / door open beep?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Disabling keys in ignition / door open beep?

I am trying to disable that annoying beep when you leave the keys in the ignition and have your door open. I like to leave my doors open when I'm outside cleaning the car up (or whatever) and with the keys in the acc position that damn beeping drives me nuts.

I tried disconnecting the door switch on the driver's side, but that completely disables the dome light as well as the "duh, you left your headlights on" beep. I tried peeking under the dash, but with the plethora of wires under there, I'm afraid to go digging around too much. I even took the gauge cluster/idiot light panel apart, but I know if I just cut the wires going into the beeper, that will disable everything as well.

A search for this on the board lead to the final answer being "leave your windows down and door closed", however I'd still like to try disabling the beeping.

Has anybody done this to their vehicle and if so, how?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe you could wire up a switch to the beeper that you could flip off when working on your car and then flip back on when you are finished. Just a suggestion that way you have the best of both worlds. Let me know what you think.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is there a reason why you are leaving the keys in the ignition? I'm guessing to listen to the radio. I think if you turn the key from ACC to the OFF position then back to ACC the beep goes away. Or perhaps there was something else I did but I don't recall. I will try later and post if there was a solution.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by tCb00b
Maybe you could wire up a switch to the beeper that you could flip off when working on your car and then flip back on when you are finished. Just a suggestion that way you have the best of both worlds. Let me know what you think.
Not a bad idea at all...Thanks! If I can't get it figured out, I think I'll give that a try.

And to answer the other question: I leave the ignition to acc to listen to the radio. I tried turning the keys from acc to off and back to acc with no luck, tried other combos as well. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just remember, as long as the keys are in and it's beeping, the door locks are disabled so you can't lock your keys in the car. Maybe disabling the beeper might disable that funtion. Locking the keys in your car is NO FUN.......trust me.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:39 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I tried several combinations as well to kill that beep. No luck.

Moved to ICE...
Old 10-04-2005, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Davestoaster
Just remember, as long as the keys are in and it's beeping, the door locks are disabled so you can't lock your keys in the car. Maybe disabling the beeper might disable that funtion. Locking the keys in your car is NO FUN.......trust me.
thank god you get 3 keys when you buy a Scion!
Old 10-04-2005, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I swear, I went out today again and had the car turned to the ACC position, stereo and lights on, and turned it to the first position (ON?) or whatever it is, then turned it back to ACC and a couple of seconds later the beep went away. Am I the only onw this is working for?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

The only way I can get the beep to go away is if I turn the ignition to "on", so perhaps that's what you're doing as well, kloquewerk. After 4-5 seconds the beeps stop, but with the key in the "on" position it draws more electricity and I've heard all the stories of it not being good to leave the key in that position for too long.

I haven't had a chance to hook up a switch to disable it, but I'll post what happens when I give it a shot. It probably won't be until this weekend...and if my shims from one ton garage come in before saturday, those will be going on first
Old 10-05-2005, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Yeah, I believe you're right. I was at work on my break today and noticed this as well. The car was in the ON position and not the ACC. For some reason I was thinking they were the opposite with the ON as the first setting and ACC as the second.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by kloquewerk
^Yeah, I believe you're right. I was at work on my break today and noticed this as well. The car was in the ON position and not the ACC. For some reason I was thinking they were the opposite with the ON as the first setting and ACC as the second.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only person that runs out to their car during breaks at work to try things that have been talked about on here!
Old 10-06-2005, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^hahaha. It's like an obsession. I can picture everything in my head and I HAVE to run out there and try it to see if it works or it will bug me all day. I even installed my stereo during my lunch break when I first got the car lol.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can wire a dpst relay into the door ajar circuit to activate when the door is ajar. The relay can then remove the signal from the ignition key sense switch.

When you open the door, the light will light up, activating the relay via 12v, which will then cut power to the key sense. This will trick the car into thinking the key is removed, while still retaining the warning for the headlights on. You can wire this to a switch under the dash. This is a good idea if the sense closes when the key is removed.

Let's say you want the key sense on a regular basis. Then you wire in reverse. Move the key sense to the other throw on the relay, so that when the door is ajar and the dome light is OFF, then the relay will not activate. This requires a longer run of wire to the switched side of the dome light. Doing so will mean that you will have to turn the dome light off to disable the switch, but who vacuums in the dark anyways.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by tCb00b
Figured I'd update on this. I used the quoted suggestion and it works for what I want. I used one of the Gardner-Bender GSW-45 switches and mounted it in the plastic cover that covers the existing wiring/etc in front of the driver's seat. The wires run completely underneath all the door sill covers so nothing shows and it looks OEM. I put the switch there so it wouldn't be obvious, but it would still be easily accessible either from outside the car (with the door open) or when I'm sitting the driver's seat.

Now no more annoying beeps when I'm listening to tunes with the driver's door open!
Old 11-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

One thing my boss did in his GTI was wire a switch so that he could turn the radio on without the key
Old 11-01-2005, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by mandos
One thing my boss did in his GTI was wire a switch so that he could turn the radio on without the key
If my switch setup didn't work the way I wanted, that was my next option. I didn't want to mess with having to rewire the amp unless I had to.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Storm13
Originally Posted by mandos
If my switch setup didn't work the way I wanted, that was my next option. I didn't want to mess with having to rewire the amp unless I had to.
I'm pretty sure all he did was split the constant 12V wire and put a switch on it that led to the ignition portion of the HU.

That way he could flip a switch to turn his HU on/off whenever he wanted. He used it for demo'ing at shows
Old 11-02-2005, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ I did that with my previous car and it worked fine. but then again, I also took out the fuse for the annoying beep so I really didn't even have to use the switch. too bad the xB has a different fuse setup than my 94 Silverado.