Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Domelight wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Domelight wiring

Hey all you wiring gurus:

I'm trying to add a CCFL to my domelight, and not sure which wire is which. It's got two wires - red w/yellow stripe and green w/yellow stripe. Which ones pos and which is neg? any input would be helpful...
Old 05-24-2004, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've never tooled around with the dome light, but I just checked out the wiring diagram from the xB service manual. It seems like the red and yellow wire goes to the "door lock control relay" and the green and yellow goes to the directly to a power source ("Dome 15A"). What I think the red and yellow wire is for is when you have the dome light set to "door" so it goes on and off when the doors are open and closed etc. The green and yellow I think is the power source used for when the dome light is toggled from the "on" and "off" settings.

Keep in mind that I am just hazarding a guess form looking briefly at the wiring diagrams. However, what you might want to do is decide how you want to have the lights operate (either with an on/off switch or in conjunction with the doors etc). Then hook the positive wire to the corresponding wire on the dome. You will probably have to run a separate grounding wire from the negative wire for your lights.

It might also be possible to actually make use of the switch on the dome light so that you can utilize all three settings (door, on, off). Perhaps there is a way of tapping the positive wire from your lights after the switch on the dome light controller? From the looks of the diagram there is no negative ground at the dome light and you will have to run a separate wire to a grounding location.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member

The dome light is grounded with the left side screw in the assembly itself. Do you happen to know where the Dome Supervisor Relay is located?
Old 08-14-2004, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I upgraded my dome light with an aftermarket on that autozone sells but you can't groung the light or it wont work with the doors
Old 08-14-2004, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just occured to me that I need to wire in a factory push button switch in one of the knock out dummy plates in the dash, then, with the two domelights, you can turn them both on and off with a puch of the button.

It's really a bit of a pain in the ___ reaching up and back for the light switch and waving your hand around looking for it.

Dash switch and can just intuitively reach for it.

hmmmm.... I'll look at it in the am and solve it.

A definate "gotta do right now" item.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Domelight wiring

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Hey all you wiring gurus:

I'm trying to add a CCFL to my domelight, and not sure which wire is which. It's got two wires - red w/yellow stripe and green w/yellow stripe. Which ones pos and which is neg? any input would be helpful...
both wire is +, one for open door light, one for "ON" light. the -(ground) is the screw that ground the assembly to the metal roof. sorry i can't remember which wire is for door or "ON". just tap a test bulb to find out.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

red is for the door +, green is constant +
Old 04-18-2006, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for this. Hopefully this will help in my JLevi Puddle lamp installation on my tC. I want them to come on when I unlock my doors with the keyfob.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for the resurrection, but I'm planning on upgrading the domelight in my Echo to fade off like the xB does, and doing arm-white LED footwell lights front and rear along side it (found other threads on that bit). My question is, what part of the dome wiring is what delays the lamp? Is it a relay, built into the door switch, or something else?
Old 12-04-2014, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Harvey
Sorry for the resurrection, but I'm planning on upgrading the domelight in my Echo to fade off like the xB does, and doing arm-white LED footwell lights front and rear along side it (found other threads on that bit). My question is, what part of the dome wiring is what delays the lamp? Is it a relay, built into the door switch, or something else?
8 Years!

The dimming effect is done using pulse width modulation. Basically the circuit sends a ratio of "on" and "off" signals to give the appearance of a certain brightness. At full on, there is more substance to the "on" signal and at full dim, there is more substance to the "off" part of the signal.

Either way, it's not the relay doing the work here. Relays, for all intents and purposes, are fancy switches; on or off.

If you plan on mimicking the scion dome light fade, I'd look into modules called "dome light dimmers". These are fancy little black boxes that wire up in line with your current configuration. This is probably the easiest and most practical way to achieve the desired fade.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:26 PM
SL Member

Default Done Wiring

I an looking to add a push button dome into my 2006 XB.
Its from a durango and I wonder where the existing dome wiring is run to.
Then I wonder if its safe to just hook the new one to those wires and have it act just like the one already factory installed, (fade out, door switches it on, and then constant for the push buttons)

Does anyone have a wire diagram out there that might help me get this done right or suggestions?

The car is just so dark at night, the dome in the back is not very useful in the front seat, haha

Thank you!
Old 08-07-2015, 08:43 PM
SL Member

Default Installed, Never mind, LOL

Well I went for it, it works, tied it to the exsisting one, cut hole perfect, all 100% and looks stock... yay...

So, thanks for the above posts, the wiring color hints helped lots..
Old 06-30-2017, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm trying to get additional LED's to work in parallel with the dome light on door setting, while still maintaining the dimming function of the dome light. We've sent constant power to the LED's and so far have tried grounding the LED's to the dome light ground and to the red/white wire (negative door control module trigger) that goes negative when the doors are open. No luck yet. any ideas?
Old 06-30-2017, 10:06 PM
SL Member

Default Dome

I wired my extra (front dome light) to the rear dome light. Testing it a few times to be sure it worked. Running power from elsewhere is probably not going to work. As the dome switch dimmer thing is obviously hooked to the dome, So i removed my dome, tapped into it there and ran the wires to the front under the head liner. Not sure exactly what your doing but you can also tap the dome lights from the driver side, under the kick panel things near the gas tank door pully thing. Helps if you inspect the dome light wire colors, then find them down in the gang of wires under the kick/step plastic panel thing. I did read elsewhere, if you try to run too much off of this, that the board will fry... So, you may be best to just run its own thing and not worry about the dimmer function. Just depends on how much strain you put on the circuit.

Thats my input and may not be the best, but thats what i did for a dome in the front with lights you can press to turn on while driving also... Been there for a few years, no problems..
3 bulbs is all thats in it...

Not LED also, LED are annoying light to me, hurts my eyes, there is something about them that i would say also, is bad for humans.