Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Halo Fog Lights and Relay... do I need a Relay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member

Default Halo Fog Lights and Relay... do I need a Relay?

I recently got the Halo Fog Light grill combo (similar to Weeman's here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...alo+fog+lights)

There were zero instructions or wiring with my kit.

In reading through the forums on scion life, I've heard mention of a relay (especially when used with the Scion stock fog lights).

But if I'm not using the pre-existing wiring (probably going to tap in with the headlights wiring), do I need to use a relay? And if so, where does it go?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member

Default halo foglights

Ok so i got the grill with the halo fog lights and installed them this is what I did and belive me if you connect them to your headlights you will end up disconnecting them they are way to bright.
You do need the relay this does two things it alows you to turn them off and on.
It also turns them off if you hit your high beam.
The relay part # is 90987-02012 now at the dealer they are $50.00 I treid to find one at the junk yard but since i didnt exactully know what i was looking for i did not find one but now i know look at your fuse panel and you will see 2 or 3 they are blue about 1/2 by 1 inch pull one out and look at the prongs go to a local junk yard search for a late model 4 runner or camry tacoma and so on look in the engine bay power window relay they may be black just pull it out and check the pins. this will save you some$$$ trust me.
the relay plugs in from the back side on the left side 2nd harness from the bottom the bottom harness was white on mine.
go to lowes and pick up a rocer switch $3.99 GB makes them theres a tech aticle on this site. they fit right in th factory location.
You can find the plug for the fog lights behind the knock outs for the switch just take your glove box off it easier its a 2 wire plug clearish white rectangle plug what i did was disasemble the plug and removed the pins spread them out and plug them up.
then to wire the fogs get a wire tap connector @ lowes there blue and clip over the wire you need four for the fogs four for the halo leds then you need spade connetors to plug into the taps they look like the end of the white wire. the white wire goes to red with white stripe and black goes to white with black stripe.
as for the halo im going to tap into the amber side marker lights after i get those connected i will let you know the wiring colors theres 3 wires there because its also used as a turn signal.
Well i hope this is helpful they look great. its not a big deal to hook up and I wanted to use factory harness so i did it this way but this is just me.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member

Cool! Thanks vipersd1! I hadn't thought of tapping in to the existing foglight wiring, but that might be a good way to go...

Any idea if the relay can be bought at pepboys/napa, etc type stores, or did Toyota make a specific one?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member

Its a denso relay everyone i have talked to on here says you can get them from a junk yard off of 4 runner tacoma and i think camarys its the same relay as the power windows but both the local yards i check they were all gone did not check parts store let me no what you find.
Its a denso relay if you need any help pm me.
the wires to the plug in the dash are green w/ red stripe and black i think only two wires you cant miss the plug.