Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

I broke something the other day... Is this bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I broke something the other day... Is this bad?

Well, I received my quick disconnect hub for my new steering wheel in the mail last week. I proceeded to tear down my steering assembly.

Well, after I got most of it tore apart, I realized I needed another part... the hub adapter!

So I re-assembled the wheel and went inside and ordered the Momo adapter.

The problem happened yesterday morning.... I pulled out of my driveway on the way to work in the morning and I heard a small snap inside my steering wheel.

Right after that, my hazard lights came on and my airbag light came on. CRAP.

Turn the car off, hazards still on.... Had to disconnect negative battery terminal while I was in work and put it back on when I drove home.

Tore the steering wheel off again to discover the ribbon wire inside the wheel assembly got caught on the plastic carrier wheel and broke.

Now, I can wire, but this does not look easily-repairable. My question is, when I put my aftermarket steering wheel on, this whole ribbon wire assembly and all of the wiring gets removed anyhow right?

Will be hazards keep going? I'm assuming the airbag light will remain too.

Please help guys!

--Dennis
Old 07-13-2006, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

30 Views and not 1 person can help a brother out?
Old 07-13-2006, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know exactly, but I'd guess if the airbag ciruit isn't complete, the light will remain on to say there's a problem. You may have to pull the light cluster apart and pull that light (unsolder that light) if you want it off. Not sure about the hazards, aren't they on the center consoule? Test your blinkers, I bet that's what ripped. Are they flashing faster than normal? Probably a cheap part to order through the dealership. Keep us updated.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Blinkers are not in that ribbon wire, they are contained in the column.

Hazard lights button doesn't do anything. Push it on and off, nothing changes. They still keep flashing. They are flashing the normal speed your hazards would flash.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, like I said, I don't know anything at all about this, so I'm just spouting off ideas from the top of my head. You may just want to order the ribbon? I'm sure you can. Other than that, I have no clue. I'd guess that the cable has something to do with the blinkers which are in turn your hazard lights, which I am pretty sure in turn come on when the airbag goes off. Did you call the dealer and see if you can order the part?
Old 07-13-2006, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I was hoping I wouldn't have to. Since after work I'm installing my aftermarket steering wheel with hub adapter and quick release. And from what i can see, all this stuff will be removed and not attached anymore.

I'm just worried that the stinking hazards will keep flashing.

--Dennis
Old 07-13-2006, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just called the dealership. First off, the guy was a caulk. The part he found looks to be about $600 or so, that comes off the main wiring harness to the steering wheel. Given that your hazards are going off, I'd say it's shorted out somewhere. You may want to try fixing it yourself and grounding the airbag wire (or completeing the circuit somehow, basically making the car think the airbag is still there) so you can get the light off and make it easy to put your stock wheel back on, but that's just my .02. They need a VIN to get an accurate part number and price, so call the dealership or try doing it yourself.

My theory is that it's already broke, so trying to fix it myself would be the route I go. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just keep the stock steering wheel. For christ sake why would you remove your airbag and your quality factory steering wheel for some second rate unsafe POS wheel? I believe it's also a felony to remove factory airbags from your vehicle.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Because I can.

If you're going to post on my thread, please keep it on-topic. I asked a few questions and one of them was not, "I want to remove my steering wheel and airbag, will you please tell me your opinion on safety?"

I just finished reading a post about a guy who just wanted to turn off his airbag light and there are 3 pages of people argueing about whether or not it's smart to remove your airbag. His question is still not answered. Let's not have this thread be the same thing.

--Dennis
Old 07-13-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

broken clock spring in the hub? that was always a culprit on early Explorers to setting of airbag lights and such.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You "CAN" do anything you want to these cars, but I would not suggest taking off factory installed life saving safety equipment.

While your at it why don't you mod your seatbelts? thats a fun very unsafe illegal mod as well.

Lesson learned to everyone, do not remove your steering wheel. The stock wheel is MUCH more than adequate
My advice to you is to suck it up and take it back to the dealer, and tell them you ruined your steering wheel/column setup and need them to fix it, or you can try to put the stock one back on, play dumb and hope for warranty coverage. You need to get your car working in safe order asap.

Sorry if you didn't want to hear this, it's the truth and someone needs to say it.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

it could be an interface thing between the airbag system and the hazards...

if the airbag were to go off it would automatically turn on the hazards for others to see...just a quess, but it could be logical

since it is alread broke, try messin with it yourself...what else could you do to it, right?
Old 07-13-2006, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good advice dg. I think I will try to repair the ribbon wire and see if I can get them to turn off.

Anyone else that has put an aftermarket wheel on, does the whole ribbonwire assembly get removed?

--Dennis
Old 07-13-2006, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well......Just finished installing the wheel and adapter.

The Momo adapter came with an airbag bypass fuse and wire, but since I broke the ribbon wire, I had no luck finding the right combo of 2 wires to connect it to. (TRIED EVERY COMBO!).

Got frustrated and put it all together anyhow. Then something dawned on me.... Is there a fuse for your hazards? BINGO! Pulled the fuse and no more blinky!

I'm gonna order a new clockspring wheel from the dealership sometime and get everything back in order.

--Dennis
Old 02-23-2019, 08:08 AM
SL Member

Default Same issue different outcome

Originally Posted by SkeeTownBox
Good advice dg. I think I will try to repair the ribbon wire and see if I can get them to turn off.

Anyone else that has put an aftermarket wheel on, does the whole ribbonwire assembly get removed?

--Dennis
for me I broke the clockspring while trying to install an NRG hub it snapped as I tried calibrating it I reconnected everything to check if it was a major problem and to my surprise my TRAC and VSC as well as airbag lights were on but once I connected everything back only the airbag light remained not my flashers but I think the car in your case may have thought the airbag deployed when it didn’t? So maybe and I’m hoping that your issue is resolved the same way mine is by replacing the entire clockspring some are on eBay for 20-30$ used hope this helps!
Old 02-23-2019, 08:11 AM
SL Member

Default Follow up

Originally Posted by SkeeTownBox
Well......Just finished installing the wheel and adapter.

The Momo adapter came with an airbag bypass fuse and wire, but since I broke the ribbon wire, I had no luck finding the right combo of 2 wires to connect it to. (TRIED EVERY COMBO!).

Got frustrated and put it all together anyhow. Then something dawned on me.... Is there a fuse for your hazards? BINGO! Pulled the fuse and no more blinky!

I'm gonna order a new clockspring wheel from the dealership sometime and get everything back in order.

--Dennis
Were you able to fix it? Was it just the clock spring?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-23-2019 at 06:23 PM. Reason: fixed quotation
Old 02-24-2019, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

I'm hoping that at some point in the last 13 years the OP managed to get his issue fixed...