Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

HELP!!! shorted out dome light control?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default HELP!!! shorted out dome light control?

I was working on wiring some led lights to my dome light i have taped into the red/yellow (-) wireof the dome light and i accidentally conected that wire to a Positive (+) wire I imedeately blew a fuse but now I have replaced the fuse and my dome light will not go off for anything (all doors closed switch in "door" position I lock the doors with the remote and it just stays on). please help.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you still have LEDs wired to it? If so I'd disconnect those first, if not you may have fried the dome delay module (fades out the light slowly, and turns it on with remote unlock).
Old 04-11-2006, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Uhh yea I did was doing the exact same thing and then lost the spring for the switch and replaced it with a spring from a ball point pen. Wired it all back up again and only turning it on works... doesn't come on with the doors anymore... and another weird thing is.. I used to have blue led bulbs in them... they don't work now... but my stock bulb does.. i don't understand any of this! Would it be better just to order a new domelight? Help please!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ouch!

I strongly suspect you may have toasted the little electronic pack that controls the light (the "Door Lock Control Relay"). I have no idea how much that circuit pack goes for, but I doubt it is cheap.

Here's a link to the schmatic that includes descriptions of what and where those things in it are.

http://tijil.org/holdfile/xB%20Repai...s/IntLight.pdf

*IF* the overload was there long enough to melt the insulation on one of the wires leading to the interior light, one of 'em MAY have managed to ground itself, but the fuse should have prevented that from happening.

Good luck on finding something else that might have failed, but it honestly sounds like the DLC relay pack.

Sorry!
Old 04-11-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I was actualy testing and only let the wires touch for a second and I heard a small pop and realised I had grabed the wrong wire.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default dome light

Hey where is that relay for the dome light - I want to tap into it for my alarm system. Seems each door button is a separate signal to it so the alarm can't be triggered by any of the four doors being opened since there is only one door input to the alarm and 4 doors plus the trunk signal wire is also an alarm input which also goes to the same relay timer.

I would recommend using a connector between any wiring you add to the factory wiring so that you can disconnect it and test it before hooking it into the light circuit.

I actually tapped into the dome light fixture while the wires going to it were disconnected. It does some really weird things with the power and it does not work by connecting additional light (LEDs) to it and ground - you have to connect across the dome light connections in the ceiling. The light switch works on both ends of the bulb supplying power and a grounding signal to turn on the light.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:25 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

(Sorry for getting a little off topic here with the last link here, but the pic and the first two links fit right in with this topic - and the last link MAY give ideas about how to bypass the controller...)

Another topic on adding/controlling interior lights with the "door lock control relay" circuit:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=105123

And the first person to admit the blew up the DLC relay circuit pack:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=97368

And finally, the 'bonus' topic that discusses getting to exactly the lead you need, Jan06xB, and connecting to it...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=107795

(One more thing... I just spotted a topic where a guy is parting out three wrecked xBs and selling everything on 'em. Bet he has at least a couple "door lock control relay" units... https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=114517)
Old 04-11-2006, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I would like to know how I can determine if the door lock control Relay is my problem for sure. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and get a price it will probably cost a ton but I guess thats why they say you have to pay to play. I guess that this is another reason why I am glad I have such a low car payment. Does anyone know it this part is also found in other toyotas i have a friend who can usually get me stuff for next to nothing from a junkyard he goes to alot, but the chances of that junkyard having a scion aren't very good.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:21 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First thing to do is to make sure the spurious ground turning on the overhead light is coming from the controller.

(1) Does the light go off when it's switch is put in the center position?
___(a) Yes: Light switch appears to work.
___(b) No: An external ground was added to the interior light fixture.
(2) When switched to 'doors' does the interior light go off if the controller is unplugged (under speedo)?
___(a) Yes: Ground signal is coming from the controller.
___(b) No: Ground is NOT coming from the controller.

That's just to check for anything that may be putting a ground on the fixture that shouldn't be there.

Now, if the above both show that the controller is putting a ground out, so long as you haven't done anything to affect the INPUT to the controller, it is fairly likely the controller is bad.

Further checking gets complex.

Disconnecting the inputs from the door switches is more of a pain, but that would be the next step - disconnect the "1L" connector on the back of the fuse/connector block under the dash to eliminate odd inputs to the controller. If the light goes out, the problem is not the controller, but something supplying a grount signal to it.

If that is the case, keep chasing the ground back to see where it is coming from. If that is NOT the case, the controller is bad.

Next recommended purchase? A set of Repair Manuals, or the electronic version of same from the Toyota TIS site. I find it difficult to bring myself to work on a vehicle - especially one as complex as the box - without knowing how it is put together. I actually have multiple copies of the electronic version of my manuals - on my server, on my laptop, on my primary computer, and on my keychain:

Good luck!!!

P.S. BoughettiXB, the way the stock interior light works is it has power, through the "Dome" fuse, applied at all times, and the switch or controller turn the light on by providing ground to the opposite end of the lamp. That is why it looked like there was power at both ends of the bulb if you checked it with a meter when the light was off. NOTE TO EVERYONE: The dome light in the xB works the OPPOSITE from what you might expect from working on some other cars.

T[/img]
Old 04-11-2006, 08:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Nice Tomas!!! I want that little key chain manual. Good lookin' out...
Old 04-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cost me all of $9.99 at Frys in Renton, last time I was up there (128M).

If you have one handy, I can load it up on Friday..."While-U-Wait"

I 'spect it might come in handy if I'm ever in the boonies where they never heard of them SkyOns and somthin' needs fixin'. :D
Old 04-11-2006, 10:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like the Shift Lock control Switch behind the shifter is actually the stability control yaw sensor.

Tomas - me thinks we should call you Mr. Scion ! Thanks!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I just called the dealer and the door lock control relay is $425.00 and he said that it is a scion specific part and is not found in any toyotas or anything that would be easy to find at a junkyard.

the dome light is only staying on when the switch is in the door position so it is not grounding out at the light fixture. I need to unplug the relay, do I need to access that from under the dash or should I remove the speedometer.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KYfirefighter
I just called the dealer and the door lock control relay is $425.00 and he said that it is a scion specific part and is not found in any toyotas or anything that would be easy to find at a junkyard.

the dome light is only staying on when the switch is in the door position so it is not grounding out at the light fixture. I need to unplug the relay, do I need to access that from under the dash or should I remove the speedometer.

You can access it from under the dash, just lye on your back and look up under the dash, you can miss it. You can just unplug the wiring harness from the box or actually unhook the whole box from the piece that holds the box secure, I moved mine to behind the radio for easier access. And holy cow $425, wow, i would take Tom's advice and ask the guy parting the xB's out for one. (Tom you have got to get me one of those keychain drives with all that info on it, so i can be as knowlgeable as you ) Good luck to you KYfirefighter.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default DOme relay

Wow for that price I could repair it - should be just a timing circuit with a little pwm . . . you probably blew the output transistor and it can't be more than a $1.00 part to replace it.

Hey how DO you take the speedo out to get at it from the top???
Old 04-11-2006, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread tells you how to get the speedo out.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23214
Old 04-11-2006, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't look like a simple job to get that speedo out at all - well god gave me long thin arms so I guess I go in from below. Thanks ProshopXB! I wonder if that is why my ScanGauge keeps turning on sometimes when I use the remote door opener....receiver and relay is almost underneath it.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Jan06xB please tell me more about what i could do to repair it i have a bit of electronics knowledge(enought to burn this thing up) but i have a friend that owns a company and thats all he does is wiring on cars (ecm's tracing wiring harnesses etc) I will be having him check this out pretty soon and any information that you have that I could give him would be great.

I just ran out and looked under my dash and i can see a small blue box with a harness going into it is this the door lock control relay?
Old 04-11-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have not been able to find a junkyard in town that has any xB's but I just found one that has a couple xA's is the door lock control relay the same in an xA? if so where is it located?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Although I don't know what it looks like exactly it probably is a plastic covered circuit board with some prongs sticking out of it. You remove it form teh car and pop the cover off and check for melted components. Chances are it is a PNP power transistor in the 35 watt size and they forgot to include some current limiting in the design. It could be even smaller since it is pulsing to dim the light. When I get under my dash I will check it out as I have to connect to it also to wire my doors to my alarm.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! shorted out dome light control?