Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

High Output Alternator's Who's In??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default High Output Alternator's Who's In??????

i have an angle on a high output alternator for the xA/xB
this is double the rated output of the stock unit
180amp vs. 90amp

buying many will be cheaper

breaks down like this

1-5 units $799

6-15 units $749

16-25 units $699

26-50 units $599

not bad at all, if there is enough demand (enough people with money and willing to spend it)

NEED SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY

i can set up a week for ordering, that is the longest window he can leave open for orders to get the discount

after that the alternators will be shipped out first come first serve
there will be a two week build time for the alternators
he will ship individually so shipping will be the only variable in price

talk to JOSH at HOAlternators if you are intersted in this
or keep this post alive, i will give him the link to show our intentions

http://www.highoutputalternator.com/index.htm
Old 02-23-2005, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

isn't 600 bucks a little much for an alt?
Old 02-23-2005, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

personally it would be too much for a hood

but the heart of your electrical system????
Old 02-23-2005, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Just some info for the newbies: These alternator rewinds, if done well, will surely supply more power than you can ever use. SERIOUS sp guys can use this and it would work well. Goobers who have a 1000 watt system or lower who think this would be cool to get should know that strapping one of these puppys on will definately be FELT in the power drag on the engine. It takes HP to make this kind of amperage and with the internal stock regulator, when this bad boy is charging, it will be noticable. Just sos ya know.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Rewinds" rarely work out well in my experience. Th extra heat generated by stuffing more material into the same case negates any increases. You're much better off with a new HO Alternator. I would be leary of any HO alt that was cheaper than $500. When you look at an alternator, the "Hot" rating is more relevant.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

these are not "rewinds"
they are custom built

with a warranty, and all their ratings are "hot" ratings
this thing will near double output at any rpm including idle

no headlight dim @ stops is a great thing
Old 02-24-2005, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TXboxdriver
these are not "rewinds"
they are custom built

with a warranty, and all their ratings are "hot" ratings
this thing will near double output at any rpm including idle

no headlight dim @ stops is a great thing
700 dollars? Are they gold plated?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we can ask for chrome, maybe....
Old 02-24-2005, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
Just some info for the newbies: These alternator rewinds, if done well, will surely supply more power than you can ever use. SERIOUS sp guys can use this and it would work well. Goobers who have a 1000 watt system or lower who think this would be cool to get should know that strapping one of these puppys on will definately be FELT in the power drag on the engine. It takes HP to make this kind of amperage and with the internal stock regulator, when this bad boy is charging, it will be noticable. Just sos ya know.
True, a high output alterntor WILL require a little extra H-power but it will only be about 7-10 additional which shouldn't be THAT noticeable. Let's put it this way, I've never noticed it, but others experiences may be different (of course).
Old 02-24-2005, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member

personally it would be too much for a hood

but the heart of your electrical system????
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY....WELL PUT MAN!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member

we can ask for chrome, maybe....
I don't know dude, chrome holds in heat and I know that is the #1 killer for high output..... well high output anything (same goes for powder coating). I do know that alot of people are going with polishing though. Polished cast aluminum (what the alternator cases are made of) looks just as good as chrome AND it doesn't hold in heat.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DB_Fan_4_Life
True, a high output alterntor WILL require a little extra H-power but it will only be about 7-10 additional which shouldn't be THAT noticeable. Let's put it this way, I've never noticed it, but others experiences may be different (of course).
Yup you are right. Most likely it will take less then 5hp from your engine. Just don't want to calculate everything right now.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was kidding about the chrome part

and the loss of HP is why i bought an intake, header and exhaust

efficiency, baby
Old 02-24-2005, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member

i was kidding about the chrome part

and the loss of HP is why i bought an intake, header and exhaust

efficiency, baby

You are the man!!! Sounds like you know what you're doing. Not that you will notice such a miniscule H-power loss, but it is still nice to ADD a little extra, right? :D
Old 02-25-2005, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Little more info. There may be a little (and I mean tiny) extra drag due to the heavier windings under normal circumstances. You are not "creating" or "putting out" amperage. Current is drawn from the source. Power in = Power out. So a huge alternator running a 1000 watt amp takes no more work to turn than a stock one driving the same load. The difference is how much current the alternator is capable supplying. So just having a high output alternator with the same loads on it will not take any more work to turn. If you are using say 1000 watts for your loads (lights, stereo, etc) then it takes 1000 watts of power from your vehicle to supply it, regardless of the alternator. The only teeny tiny differnce is the actual physical resistance of turning the larger (hence heavier) rotor. That will be un-noticeable.

Now, do you need that much power? Your 95 watt alternator can supply approximately 1330 watts of power. So you have your normal load, plus your added sound system. And a 1000 peak amplifier is only capable of supplying about 700 watts rms for very short durations, so it is not using NEAR that much equivalent dc power continuously.

But, as was mentioned by someone else, adding that huge alternator is completely ridiculous unless you are a serious audiophile with a HUGE system. You do not need it. It will not take away any power, but will waste a ton of money. If you want to avoid lights flickering, invest a couple of hundred in a good quality capacitor. The lights flickering are in essence due to a low frequency variation on the power line (sag). The capacitor in effect counters this. Very effective and cheaper than a 700 dollar alternator you do not need. By the cap and save the rest of the money for some other cool mods
Old 02-25-2005, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you all do realize that everytime one person says one thing someone else says somewhat the opposite then the next person does that same...in a sense everyone is right. caps help so do extra batteries and so do alts. theres no ONE thing you can that will help out a system without needing to upgrade everything else.

you can add a cap but then youll need extra batteries for power but then ull need the alt to support the extra batteries, theres no use in having a huge alt to power large amps cuz then ull need a cap for when the amp cant handle a hughe drain really fast....see its a big circle.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Reign_Man
you all do realize that everytime one person says one thing someone else says somewhat the opposite then the next person does that same...in a sense everyone is right. caps help so do extra batteries and so do alts. theres no ONE thing you can that will help out a system without needing to upgrade everything else.

you can add a cap but then youll need extra batteries for power but then ull need the alt to support the extra batteries, theres no use in having a huge alt to power large amps cuz then ull need a cap for when the amp cant handle a hughe drain really fast....see its a big circle.
You will not need extra batteries for the cap... why would you? The cap is acting like a high pass filter (a battery) with a low cutoff frequecy, which is all it is. There is no need for an extra battery if all you are doing is eliminating small sags due to a mid sized amp. I agree with you in the fact that the more equipment you add, the more other things are needed, and that there is no one thing to solve it all. But the statement about needing more batteries because you add the capacitor is incorrect.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im saying its a big circle
one of the three compliments the other. the best way to make all three happy is to have one of each
Old 02-25-2005, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Reign_Man
im saying its a big circle
one of the three compliments the other. the best way to make all three happy is to have one of each
Agreed.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but i do realize that the cap is prolly the least needed....but you deffinately want to upgrade all of them cuz each one help oout another

Quick Reply: High Output Alternator's Who's In??????