Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Installing an XM satellite tuner by pioneer....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member

Default Installing an XM satellite tuner by pioneer....

I've been an XM user before, but sold it with my last car. I just got an xA but now I'm starting to miss my 100 digital channels (with less commercial crap). The dealer wants 600 dollars for it to be installed, and theres no way in hell I'm paying that much for XM. Now I'm wondering if the scion system is proprietary, and will not accept Pioneer's own tuners via the IPBUS. The dealer of course told me that he didn't know, but said I'd be better off just getting it installed there or just start buying more CDs (YEAH RIGHT). Are we really gonna have to plunk down 600 bucks to get XM or can I just buy the Pioneer XM tuner and have it installed that way? Anyone try it yet? It would totally be against what Scion stands for, it they in fact made it proprietary .... that's forcing us to go factory installed or suffer with no XM, or worse.... FM MODULATION

THANKS!
Old 11-19-2003, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Installing an XM satellite tuner by pioneer....

Originally Posted by LoqT
I've been an XM user before, but sold it with my last car. I just got an xA but now I'm starting to miss my 100 digital channels (with less commercial crap). The dealer wants 600 dollars for it to be installed, and theres no way in hell I'm paying that much for XM. Now I'm wondering if the scion system is proprietary, and will not accept Pioneer's own tuners via the IPBUS. The dealer of course told me that he didn't know, but said I'd be better off just getting it installed there or just start buying more CDs (YEAH RIGHT). Are we really gonna have to plunk down 600 bucks to get XM or can I just buy the Pioneer XM tuner and have it installed that way? Anyone try it yet? It would totally be against what Scion stands for, it they in fact made it proprietary .... that's forcing us to go factory installed or suffer with no XM, or worse.... FM MODULATION

THANKS!
i have not done it myself, but i was checking around scionlife and it has been done with the Pioneer unit...check this link:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...hlight=pioneer

also, you may want to do a search for 'pioneer' 'xm' stuff like that....

Old 11-19-2003, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Installing an XM satellite tuner by pioneer....

Originally Posted by yanges
Originally Posted by LoqT

THANKS!
i have not done it myself, but i was checking around scionlife and it has been done with the Pioneer unit...check this link:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...hlight=pioneer

also, you may want to do a search for 'pioneer' 'xm' stuff like that....

Aye, I read that thread but nobody says whether or not its possible. I don't want a delphi unit, because like I said I don't want to deal with FM modulation. I'm talking specifically about using the Pioneer unit and nothing in the thread says that it's possible, just someone mentioning using the IPBUS, I wouldn't have posted a question if the answer was already in the forums.... I did my homework to no avail.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:28 AM
autosound

the plugs on the back of the radio are different from the pioneer xm plugs, now i have heard there is a adapter, however my friends at pioneer know nothing about it. and they said it may be something on the oem side of the company which they have no access to. so basically fm mod or buy a new radio.. if someone does know the plug and part number please let me know.....

thanks
autosound

Old 11-20-2003, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by autosound
the plugs on the back of the radio are different from the pioneer xm plugs, now i have heard there is a adapter, however my friends at pioneer know nothing about it. and they said it may be something on the oem side of the company which they have no access to. so basically fm mod or buy a new radio.. if someone does know the plug and part number please let me know.....

thanks
autosound
i have had XM from the start (in fact, i worked there), and have a pioneer tuner box that i intend to install to my stock stereo in the xb (once it is delivered in the next few weeks).
the stereo is 'XM ready', so i assume there will be no problems. however, if there are, you can get a new device by XM called 'XM Direct'. It is the adapter to allow any satellite ready stereo (for example a kenwood unit) to hook up an xm tuner box.

I too am amazed that the car manufacturers are selling the XM option for $600 when the same equipment costs $200 aftermarket.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SeaDrive
Originally Posted by autosound

thanks
autosound
i have had XM from the start (in fact, i worked there), and have a pioneer tuner box that i intend to install to my stock stereo in the xb (once it is delivered in the next few weeks).
the stereo is 'XM ready', so i assume there will be no problems. however, if there are, you can get a new device by XM called 'XM Direct'. It is the adapter to allow any satellite ready stereo (for example a kenwood unit) to hook up an xm tuner box.

I too am amazed that the car manufacturers are selling the XM option for $600 when the same equipment costs $200 aftermarket.
Aye keep me updated on how it goes.... I really wanna find out, so long as I don't have to drop 600 (200-300 is around what I'm looking for) I'd be happy. I see the pioneer tuners all over the place, I'm just hoping theres an adapter that we can find for it. Proprietary stuff = lame. Stop trying to stick it to us..... I mean if they wanna market to a youth oriented crowd they should have at least made it affordable!! Or let us buy the parts and do it ourselves!