Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

iPod not charging - '06 Alpine HU

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:06 PM

Default iPod not charging - '06 Alpine HU

My iPod (Classic, 160gb) no longer charges when connected to the factory iPod cable...plays perfectly, but has ceased to charge.
I plugged my iPhone 3Gs into it, and got the 'device not supported' message on the iPhone, but it played the music. Could this have affected the charging circuit?
thanks in advance...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes from what i've heard
Old 11-29-2009, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

i plugged my iphone 3g to mine and it still charges my old school nano. i got the same warning as you too.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wassup Scioners...it does seem that Apple disabled ipods and iphones starting with the 3gs from functioning correctly or charging through the Firewire pins and are doing it through USB pins, but many manufacturers built the cables with power going through the Firewire pins only. That's why they're not charging at all and functioning incorrectly. It's pretty much with all head units..here's a link to a forum explaining more:

http://community.crutchfield.com/for...229/42158.aspx

hope this helps..
Old 12-04-2009, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

awesome info island_box59, i wonder why apple would do this, they must have an exclusive contract with a certain company for the new ipods and iphones to work on certain brands only. sucks but oh well. we will live and find ways around it.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by daneisthegreatest
awesome info island_box59, i wonder why apple would do this, they must have an exclusive contract with a certain company for the new ipods and iphones to work on certain brands only. sucks but oh well. we will live and find ways around it.
Yea, it seems Apple knows that there are a great deal of their products ending up with car enthusiasts, and knowing that they changed the main source so we have to purchase additional accessories just to have them work properly. It's sad that they push their market away like that when they decide to change unexpectedly, and not inform users the downside to new products. But like you said, we'll find ways around it...that's always the outcome, LOL!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have a 2006 xA with a Pioneer t1806, which includes the iPod jack & AUX-in in the middle console & controls on the steering wheel. All of these options are WONDERFUL, but a few weeks ago I began to encounter problems. This may take some explaining so I apologize for the novella I'm about to write.

First, my iPod wouldn't charge while connected - so I started using my wall charger at home. One day my iPod died while connected to my car & the next day my entire stereo system wouldn't work. It would turn on, but wouldn't respond to any of the buttons I pushed, except for the power button. Twenty minutes into my drive, the radio & CD player worked again.

The next few days I kept forgetting to charge my iPod so I just left it in my car & listened to the radio. Every now & then my stereo wouldn't work when I turned on my car, but after 10 minutes or so would kick back on. Frustrated, I called a local Toyota dealership, confirmed that my car was still under warranty (It was actually manufactured in Feb. 2007, lucky me!) & went in for a diagnosis. The service rep was very nice & helpful, though just as baffled as me. He ordered me a new stereo from Pioneer & it was replaced 4 days later (this last thursday). Now my iPod still wont charge & as soon as my iPod died while connected to my car, the brand new stereo stopped working again.

Why would my iPod dying while connected to the iPod jack cause my entire system to stop working?? My warranty expires on February 8th, 2010 so I only have about a month & a half to find & replace or repair whatever the problem is here.