Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

My woofers turn on and off...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My woofers turn on and off...

quick question to all those audio experts...i got my woofers (two 10" kenwoods w/ a JBL amp) installed at this shop by my house...that was about...what? like three-four months ago...something like that...well...now my woofers are not completely turning on and off...they seem to lower and raise in volume...if that makes any sense...well anyways...i've tryed playing with the wires...but i cant seem to figure it out...could it be the fuse?...any ideas? please...cause its getting annoying...i'm driving and the things will come on and off...when they please...hehehehe....someone...thanks...
Old 02-20-2004, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: My woofers turn on and off...

Originally Posted by DjFrOsT
quick question to all those audio experts...i got my woofers (two 10" kenwoods w/ a JBL amp) installed at this shop by my house...that was about...what? like three-four months ago...something like that...well...now my woofers are not completely turning on and off...they seem to lower and raise in volume...if that makes any sense...well anyways...i've tryed playing with the wires...but i cant seem to figure it out...could it be the fuse?...any ideas? please...cause its getting annoying...i'm driving and the things will come on and off...when they please...hehehehe....someone...thanks...
Hmm...interesting...And its not cutting off right? just losing volume?

Its not a fuse, because a fuse is good or bad.

I would check the connection at the sub.. it might be bad.

How are you running the subs? Stereo? Bridged? Parallel?

If it is stereo, maybe one of your rcas are loose.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

check your amp could be your turn on lead is loose
Old 02-20-2004, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: My woofers turn on and off...

Originally Posted by DenZinz

I would check the connection at the sub.. it might be bad.

How are you running the subs? Stereo? Bridged? Parallel?

If it is stereo, maybe one of your rcas are loose.
they are not turnin off completely...they almost seem to fade in and out...they get soft and they they go back to normal...do you think i could be puchin too much power...cause i did raise the little volume control on the amp...could that have an effect?

what do you mean stereo, bridged, and parallel...sorry i dont know any stereo-install terms...i know i have some RCA pluggs in the back where my woofers are...and i check that...and they are in...
Old 02-20-2004, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_X_Trodinaire
what is the "Turn on lead"...is that that little blue wire?
Old 02-20-2004, 09:06 PM
Banned
SL Member

Yes, turn off lead is usually blue. And it sounds like to me that your pushing too much power, causing your amp to shut off from over heating or over load. Try turning it back to where it was before you played with it, and see if that works.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CBSIMONSEZ-thanks...cool...i'll try that...

any other ideas? (just in case that doesnt work)
Old 02-20-2004, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
Yes, turn off lead is usually blue. And it sounds like to me that your pushing too much power, causing your amp to shut off from over heating or over load. Try turning it back to where it was before you played with it, and see if that works.
but now that i think about it...i shouldnt have my "volume" on the amp...more than half ways...knowing that...could that still be a cause?
Old 02-20-2004, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check to see if tyhe wire that they ran to your deck from the amp are run correctly. By this |I mean that the power is run on one side of the car.. and the RCA's are run on the other side. That is most likly your problem. If they are run on the same side, go back to the shop and tell them to re-do it and do it right. If this is not the case, chech the RCAs in the back of the deck. make sure that they are plugged in all the way. any other questions, PM me.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try adjusting the gain
Old 02-20-2004, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's your amp if it's doing it more often as you drive or thump it laud. It's usually caused by cold solder in your amp and most of the time it's around your gain ****.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by MIKEY
Check to see if tyhe wire that they ran to your deck from the amp are run correctly. By this |I mean that the power is run on one side of the car.. and the RCA's are run on the other side. That is most likly your problem. If they are run on the same side, go back to the shop and tell them to re-do it and do it right. If this is not the case, chech the RCAs in the back of the deck. make sure that they are plugged in all the way. any other questions, PM me.
That's not going to effect the sub from fading in and out. That is more for noise concerns.

That would cause the amp to turn on and off, and thats not the case. Its fading in and out.

but now that i think about it...i shouldnt have my "volume" on the amp...more than half ways...knowing that...could that still be a cause?
The gain is just to level match your output coming out of your deck or inline converter.

It's your amp if it's doing it more often as you drive or thump it laud. It's usually caused by cold solder in your amp and most of the time it's around your gain ****.
That could be a possiblity.

Almost sounds like one sub is shutting off...Without looking at it, I would suggest that you listen to it while standing next to your enclosure and see what the subs do. See if one is moving less then the other. If one is completely shutting off then either that channel of the amp has a bad connection or the sub has a bad connection.

DJ...Ill PM you with my phone number, i could get a better idea that way..it takes to long to troubleshoot efficiently on the forum.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what wattage is the amp? what about the subs? i kno that when i hooked up my audio..the amp would turn off when it got too hot cuz it was pushing too much for the subs. maybe you should check the ground to make sure its good. and also the power connections. because i had a ground that wasnt good (it was connected to a part to my seat, and whenever i moved the seat it moved the ground..) and the amp would lose 80% power bu tnot actually turn off. the power light got very dim. i dunno, just my two cents.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If you're not running a capacitor.......get one. I had a similar problem in my last car. I was running a RF 800a2 amp........and when the bass was hitting all of a sudden the subs would just take a power/volume dive. The battery couldn't deliver the power that the amp needed quickly enough........because I wasn't running a capacitor. Try that........maybe it'll help.

KiL
Old 02-23-2004, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I dunno if it was posted but where is the amp located? because I had almost the same problem (mine just shuts down then after awhile would turn back on). the problem was my amp location. it was inside the storage bin and was overheating because it wasn't getting any air circulating inside. So what i did was install a 120mm fan and my problem was gone.

hope this helps,
hubert
Old 02-23-2004, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah......proper cooling can be an issue too. I know my amp in particular happens to be one of those amps that tends to run HOT............sooo.......that's why I am mounting it under tha passenger seat where there is an air vent. If you mount your amp under the passenger seat.........just be sure to kick the air to COOL if you're pounding your system. Don't want to be blowing hot air at that amp.

KiL
Old 02-23-2004, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright...well this past weekend i was troubleshooting...and i think i may have found the source of the problem...its that little blue wire...the lead-on...i think...its loose...but the whole where it goes into...is bigger than the wire itself...soo how would it stay nice and tight in there...you know what i mean? anyone have any ideas on how i can keep the blue wire tight in position?
Old 02-25-2004, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah I hate it when I install an amp with a Remote Turn On input is big (c'mon now 10-8 guage input for a turn on) Anyway, the way I do it is I splice the wire long enough so I can fold it twice or three if u prefer. makes that 18guage wire to 14guage which will be good enough for a secure connection.

Just my 2 cents,
Hubert