Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

New Carpet?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:26 PM
SL Member

Default New Carpet?!

I've been thinking of installing some new carpet in the xA. I know they make kits and all so the carpet is custom cut and fit for the car, but I still feel like it wouldn't be as sweet as putting in some regular carpet on my own. Is it possible? The only reason I ask is because of all the curvatures and all. I'm up to the task, it would just take a day or so to cut and fit everything right...but I want to know if just going out and buying carpet, then laying it in (of course with the clips and all) would actually be plausible. I know some people on here have different carpet, and I can't find any kits online...so I want to know how it's done. Links if there are write ups.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You an install any carpet you like. Pre-manufactured fitted carpet is the easiest install (assuming it is of good quality) and usually the best fit. Cutting carpet to fit can be done but it is sometimes difficult to get a good fit and look. Seams are hard to hide. I once carpeted a 1965 Olds Vista Cruiser with an oriental rug I had laying around. The install came out great. The look was....hmmm....a bit on the psycodelic side perhaps...but then it was the 1970's. You can often find different type of carpet made and fitted to a particular car. You might be able to find some cut pile instead of the stocky no pile look. or some that looks like fur etc. Fit will vary based on the quality of the manufacturer. Auto Custom Carpets ACC is a good manufacturer tht I can vouch for, I am sure there are others as well. Good luck in your quest.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:57 PM
SL Member

I'll probably go the regular carpet route, and just cut and install it myself. I feel like it won't be that expensive. Now...to decide what color to get. I'm thinking I may stick with black...but I'm sort of leaning towards a gunmetal color. Hm. Decisions decisions.

If anyone has any tips on making the install go more smoothly, let me know! PM or post on here.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You need a good set of heavy scissors, a utility knife with some nice sharp blades. Some spray adhesive (I reccommend 3M Super Trim Adhesive) to glue down those pesky spots when you need to. Some contact cement you apply with a brush is a good idea as well (quart can should be plenty). You do not necessarily want to glue the carpet down everywhere, but only where you need to to help it conform to the shapes you are covering. Carpets with a flexible backing are best. The Home Depot stores here often have what they call auto/van carpet which has a foam-like backing, is a fair choice. (is a short sheared nap...I have seen it in black and gray). Carpets with a house style heavy woven backing is very hard to work with in corners and over contours. You might check with a local auto upholstery shop and see what they might recommend for carpet. In fact they may have some in house remnants that can be purchased reasonably and would perform well. A thin padding under the carpet is not a bad idea either. this will help it wear better (as well as feel plusher).
Old 03-17-2009, 12:21 AM
SL Member

Good idea. I'm deadening the car this weekend/next week, and I was considering either doing it now, or later. May see what kind of prices I can get before actually going for it. I figure I can have it done easily in a day. Should be a fun week, even if I don't do carpet. Lots of little projects and a few big ones.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:44 PM

My tips not the best and i am a novice.

First i got an automobile carpet roll. I didn't want to pay the 400 some dollars for the oem fitment.

Had a heat gun, 90m adhesive, and razorblade.

Took out the seats and middle console, laid out the carpet, cut the center hole and put a lil adhesive down (i have over 200 sqft of sound deadner so i didn't mine sprayin everwhere nothin is comin out anytime soon) Started from the middle and work my way out didn't cut the outter sides till after i was done.

I used the heatgun to help train the carpet to sid down in corners and i used black so the few of the cuts i made help keep the crumpling and nastyness to a minimum.

Most of your panels will the sides so it dosn't have to be a perfect cut.

Hope this helps a lil
This may not be the proper way to do it, but it was easy and looks good.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by EmoDeathKill
My tips not the best and i am a novice.

First i got an automobile carpet roll. I didn't want to pay the 400 some dollars for the oem fitment.

Had a heat gun, 90m adhesive, and razorblade.

Took out the seats and middle console, laid out the carpet, cut the center hole and put a lil adhesive down (i have over 200 sqft of sound deadner so i didn't mine sprayin everwhere nothin is comin out anytime soon) Started from the middle and work my way out didn't cut the outter sides till after i was done.

I used the heatgun to help train the carpet to sid down in corners and i used black so the few of the cuts i made help keep the crumpling and nastyness to a minimum.

Most of your panels will the sides so it dosn't have to be a perfect cut.

Hope this helps a lil
This may not be the proper way to do it, but it was easy and looks good.
This is precisely the routine. Nic post.