Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Newbie 2005 xB radio replacement- parts?

Old 10-01-2016, 02:17 PM

Default Newbie 2005 xB radio replacement- parts?

I did see there is a sticky, but the link within is broken so I don't know if it would have answered this question.

I need to replace the original/stock radio unit in my 2005 xB (it was the cheapest of the options available when I bought the car, a pioneer brand)

I'm looking at a couple of options for replacement (double DIN) from different sources, and I figure I'll probably need some type of wiring kit- but I'm confused by some of the other stuff I'm seeing online- adapter brackets that look structural, and trim adapters. What do I need to buy in advance, to make sure this ends up being a one-day job and not having to pull apart my dash multiple times before having everything installed and looking good and working properly?

Also, if I'm going to replace the radio anyway, I'd like to get something with an input for a backup camera- but I don't have the camera yet, and am intimidated by wiring something all the way from back to front of car without having wires hanging out somewhere. Is there anything I can do during the radio installation (add a video extension cable perhaps?) so that if I do get a camera myself, or pay for an aftermarket installation, they won't have to pull the dash back apart? Or will that be required anyway to run the video wire?

Many thanks for your input and expertise!
Old 10-02-2016, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

welcome to the forum!!
I drive a 2004 xA and also had the basic one disc head unit. First I upgraded to the 6-disc head unit, had issues with disc changer and went back to one disc unit then found another head unit from a 2009 xB and now have a nice unit I like with AUX input and pre-amp and sub outputs. Cost about $50 and directly connected to existing wiring harness, could add steering wheel controls if I wanted.. look around on forums or post up for a Scion head unit , there are some later models that come with BlueTooth and touch screens you may be able to snag too.
Good luck if you cross over, I know alot of members have upgraded to lots of different brands and types of head units. I just wanted to stay with simple solution and found it..
Old 10-03-2016, 06:42 AM

The conversion from stock to aftermarket stereo is quit simple and only takes about 20 mins
I have an 04 Xb that had a stock unit in it and the only important thing is to keep the two metal brackets screwed into the side of the stock unit, those will screw into the new one and make the installation super quick

You will need a wiring harness adapter and the trim adapters are just so you don't end up with a gap on the sides of your new unit

The unit itself even after installation is very easy to get to should you decide to wire something in down the road

Hope some of this helps

~ SMCGINNIS ����
Old 10-08-2016, 09:02 PM

Awesome, thank you. One more question about the wiring harness- the one I see on ebay is female plugs with loose wires on the other end, so I'm guessing the intent is to have the stock cables plug into the female end, and I get to wire the other end however is needed.

The actual back of the replacement unit I plan to order appears to have a power socket, and then a bunch of RCA-type plugs; here is a link to the photo of the back of the replacement unit (on aliexpress). Are there any Scion 2005 xB wiring adapter kits that already convert to RCA, or will I have to buy RCA plugs and wire these all up individually? If there are adapter harnesses to RCA, can anyone point me to some inexpensive ones?

Thank you!