Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Problems with driver side keyless remote

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Problems with driver side keyless remote

OK I've tried to fix this but now I need some advice. My keyless remote has started to act up.

1) Can't lock or unlock the driver side door with the remote.
2) Can lock all the doors with the key and this will trigger the security ...OK there

I removed the side panel and looked at all the connections and it seems to me the device that actuates the lock is faulty. It won't move when I activate the door lock on the side. Is this part available???

Timothy
Old 12-31-2010, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OK I went to the dealership and they quoted me $200 for the actuator! Yikes!

Maybe off to the wreckers....Timothy
Old 09-04-2011, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member

Did you ever get this problem fixed? I have the same issues. All door locks work with the remote key except the drivers side door. If its the drivers side lock actuator anyone have a picture and a p/n?

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM

FYI, for anyone else having this problem - I've had this same issue for about 2 years now and just lived with it... It isn't the remote, its the door lock actuator. Mine has the exact same symptoms: Driver's door doesn't lock or unlock with the remote, but the rest of them do if you click twice.

There are other posts on scionlife and clubxb that describe the solution. Scions (as well as a lot of toyotas, lexus, etc.) have door lock actuators that use motors instead of solenoids like cars used to have. These little motors seem to wear out a little too quickly. The dealer will charge around $200 to repair it, or $100 for the for new actuator (install youself), but the problem is really only the tiny motor. Luckily the same basic motor is used almost universally across many car manufacturers.

For the Scion xB, I've read the motor you need is a MABUCHI FC-280PC-22125. Its available on ebay for about $6. If you can follow some DIYs posted all over the web describing how to replace the motor, you can take care of this yourself for $6 plus a couple of hours of time.

Here's a link to a DIY for the xB. I haven't tried it yet personally, but am about to order the motor and give it a shot soon. http://www.clubxb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42073. This DIY is a little confusing (starts off sounding like you need to buy a new actuator, but it's actually telling you how to replace the motor). There are other DIYs for other makes/models describing the same process - the ebay sellers tend to have links to those on their listings.

Hope that helps someone, if not the original poster.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good info < there should be a thumbs up smiley! lol
Old 12-06-2011, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or you could replace with a universal actuator as in this DIY
http://www.clubxb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41891

We did this in one of our members car and he hasn't had a problem since.
we picked up the actuator for $10. I picked up 2 more and a couple of relays and installed them in my wife's miata and tied them into her alarm, now she has keyless entry
Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 PM

Great info! My driver's door actuator in my '05 xB went out about a year ago also. I knew it was a relatively easy fix, but thanks to the power of the Internet, should be much easier!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Lots of different replacement units out there and price ranges. If you are looking to do a direct replacement.

I had to order replacement units, as I didn't have the time to have the xB torn apart while DIY replacing the little motor. But I took the unit that came out and will replace the motor and have it ready on the shelf for next time!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yes, I had to do this to my car. I bought the part online from Sparks Toyota (I buy all my oil filters and stuff there).

It's a little white box inside the drivers door. If you push your FOB button to unlock and nothing happens and the hazards lights don't blink then this is your issues. I'm going to try and find my post and link it here.

READ THIS POST: My post is the seventh one:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211193

And here is a post with Instructions: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160169