Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Programming the xB Keyless Entry system..

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
Does just changing the remote battery cause you to reprogram both fobs? I changed my battery cause it wasn't working right now neither remote does anything.
It shouldn't, because the car is programmed to match the remotes, not the other way around.

The remotes are hard-wired with their codes. Removing power shouldn't change that.

Were both remotes working before the remote battery failed, or did they both die?
Old 11-09-2008, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Sorry, false alarm. All my batteries new and old are dead. I tried some other thicker 3 volt batteries and both remotes work fine even tho I suppossedly erased them from the box. Very strange???
Old 12-12-2008, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

got my remote today. Gonna try this
Old 12-13-2008, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NICE! Worked on the 4th try I kept waiting the 40 seconds instead of "within" 40 seconds

thanks for this post!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have a problem with my keyless entry. I bought my car without the RKE and bought a remote FCC ID: HYQ12BBX online. I followed the instructions from this thread and I get all the way to end (where the car locks/unlocks twice)
and then when I simultaneously press lock and unlock on the remote for a few seconds and then hit lock, nothing happens. I replaced the battery in the remote and still nothing. What do you all think it could be? Thanks!

Forgot to mention it's a 2005 Scion tC (the tC is suppose to work with the xB Remote.)

EDIT: I went through the Confirmation mode and there are already 4 remotes on it. But, I use the Rewrite mode and it doesn't work.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-05-2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-02-2009, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess I'll have to repeat this every time there is a new page:

Folks, please read the thread title. This procedure was written for First Generation xBs which have little in common with tCs, Camrys, etc.
If someone told you that tCs and 1Gen xBs use the same hardware and/or procedures then have them show you how to do it. They obviously know more than the rest of us.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-05-2020 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 01-02-2009, 02:20 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, George.

Frustrating, isn't it?
Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol well I guess I got lucky then. But the page was referred to me by some one with an xA that used this thread so I just followed the steps with faith it was for my system as well. I do not believe there is ANY diff. with the 1st. gen xB and xA KE system.

I also made sure that when I ordered my remote it was simply the same FCC ID as my other remotes.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks... I read the entire thread. If you read my post, the car responds until it comes down to using the remote sequence.

It is the same as the xB. I am asking if people might know what's wrong with the remote. Thanks for the useless flame.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-05-2020 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-05-2009, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was believed that the xB / xA would work with the tC Unifob key/remote. If I read correctly, you have a tC car with tC OEM alarm trying to use an xB key fob?

Originally Posted by ElPolaco
Thanks... I read the entire thread. If you read my post, the car responds until it comes down to using the remote sequence. It is the same as the xB. I am asking if people might know what's wrong with the remote. Thanks for the useless flame.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-05-2020 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It actually is a Toyota remote, but it has the same FCC ID as the xB / tC. I am trying to use it with an OEM alarm system.
I have looked it up online and it should work.

Multiple sites sell the remote with the same FCC ID for the xB, tC and also a few Toyota models. Thanks for the reply.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-05-2020 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-05-2009, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I, too had problems with programming my old xA system. I do know you can only have 2 remotes on the system and you may need to remove one or clear them and reprogram it with both remotes. Removing the batteries does nothing but make the remote quit working.

It actually is a Toyota remote, but it has the same FCC ID as the xB / tC. I am trying to use it with an OEM alarm system. I have looked it up online and it should work. Multiple sites sell the remote with the same FCC ID for the xB, tC and also a few Toyota models. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-05-2020 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-06-2009, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It actually is a Toyota remote, but it has the same FCC ID as the XB/TC. I am trying to use it with an OEM alarm system. I have looked it up online and it should work. Multiple sites sell the remote with the same FCC ID for the XB, TC and also a few Toyota models. Thanks for the reply.
The remote _may_ be usable, but the tC's _receiver_ is different than that in the xB1, therefore the programming method is different. Why don't you ask the folks here:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=120

They are probably more knowledgeable about your car.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yeah this definitely work, did it tonight with my 2006 Scion tC. talk about the hokey pokey.
I really wanna know who in heck has the time at the factory to do this 2 keys per car.

Lawd I want they job doing the tC hokey pokey all day, lol

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-05-2020 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 03-01-2009, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

This worked like a champ. I believe the key fob from the Prius can also be used with xA or xB.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-05-2020 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 03-02-2009, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Awesome write up! I haven't been using my keyless entry for months now because I haven't had the time to research the right way to reprogram. I had it reprogrammed within 2 minutes and that included going to and from my third floor apartment.

Plus, my new boyfriend is a mechanic and its nice to tell him I could do it without his help.

*Just a note: I used the Rewrite mode.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

can it be programmed to open the trunk? there's some of those flip key remotes on ebay, and they have the trunk release. just wondering if that would work.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey SLs!

got a couple questions...

1) does this procedure work without the key being already being programmed to start the car? because i bought a key fob on ebay, already got it cutted, it just needs to be programmed to start the car and programmed for entry system. i didn't know which had to be done first or whether it matters.

2) clarification... step 8 for adding a key says "within 3 seconds, press either switch and release." i'm not sure exactly what that means. does it mean press either lock or unlock?

thanks.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks so much for posting these instructions, just saved me $300 the dealer was charging for the key and reprogramming !

Just wanted to mention that I just tried this on a 2006 Scion tC and it worked perfectly.

The parts inside my original Scion tC key got damaged when I dropped my keys so I bought a Scion tC key off of eBay, took the inside parts out and placed them in my current key, reprogrammed by 'adding a key', and I was done !

Btw, the Scion tC key itself that I bought off eBay doesn't actually work because the key is cut differently, the only thing I could use it for was what was inside the key.

At this part - 'Turn ignition switch from LOCK to ON to OFF twice' - I substituted 'OFF' for 'ACC' because the tC doesn't have an 'OFF' and it worked just fine.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 7thgear
hey SLs!

got a couple questions...

1) does this procedure work without the key being already being programmed to start the car? because i bought a key fob on ebay, already got it cutted, it just needs to be programmed to start the car and programmed for entry system. i didn't know which had to be done first or whether it matters.

2) clarification... step 8 for adding a key says "within 3 seconds, press either switch and release." i'm not sure exactly what that means. does it mean press either lock or unlock?

thanks.
1) The instructions were written for the xB1 which doesn't have that expensive demobilizer crap. The electronics are probably completely separate so I'd expect that the door locks will work fine but the car won't start until the dealer extracts their $$$ for that programming job. Demobilizers haven't saved any cars from theft that I know of, but they sure have made the dealers and manufacturers a lot of money selling 25 cent silicon chips for $100+ each.

2) yes, either lock or unlock on the remote

Quick Reply: Programming the xB Keyless Entry system..