Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-ice-interior-1616/)
-   -   Protected Ipod files (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-ice-interior-1616/protected-ipod-files-60073/)

sstcrew 05-23-2006 07:35 PM

Protected Ipod files

I was wondering if any RS3 owners have had any problems playing songs downloaded from ITunes via the IPod hook up w/ the alpine head unit? When I go to an album purchaced from Itunes it just cycles through the songs with out playing them. All of the other files on the Ipod play fine, just not the ones purchaced from Itunes.

guitarsurf 05-24-2006 02:27 AM

Does the ipod play the songs OK if you don't go through the car stereo? One day my ipod just decided to not play anything by They Might Be Giants even though it showed that the songs were there. Those files came from the same source as all of my others and were fine the day before. I reset the ipod about 10 times and then it was OK again.

PaRaGoNViCtiM 05-24-2006 03:54 PM

Songs purchased via iTunes are protected, but they should play on your stereo. They play fine in my xB. I have the Alpine iPod Interface.

Maicca 05-24-2006 07:21 PM

Scion's website doesn't list if it will play songs purchased from the iTunes store, which end in a different extension.

I will assume that the unit will not play these protected files; I've only seen 2 players on the market that do.

sstcrew 05-24-2006 08:41 PM

Well that's great... Has anyone with an RS3 had this same problem or figured out a work around?

Maicca 05-25-2006 03:24 PM

How is the iPod hooked into your stereo? Digitally or via an analog patch cable?

sstcrew 05-25-2006 03:35 PM

I got it to work. I had to reset it twice but now all of the songs are playing fine. It is hooked up via the doc connector that came with my xB. Thanks for the suggestion guitarsurf.

guitarsurf 05-25-2006 03:57 PM

Glad it worked! All of my iPod problems have been solved with resets!

guitarsurf 05-25-2006 05:20 PM

While I'm thinking about it.... Do you have problems with some of your playlists not showing up on the head unit? I've had that issue on both the upgraded iPod unit in the tC and now the Alpine in the xB.

sstcrew 05-25-2006 07:20 PM

Yeah the only playlists that show are the ones I have created. The ones that the Ipod creates ie. ON-The-Go and most played do not show up. It's not a big deal personally since I never use those but they do not show up on my HU.

guitarsurf 05-26-2006 01:40 AM

Thanks for the info, I'm glad it's not just me!

guitarsurf 05-26-2006 04:48 PM

I figure this is as good of a place as any to ask a few more questions about the Alpine...

Is it my imagination or is there no FF/RW? I didn't see anything in the the manual or icons on the deck.

And... has anyone noticed it takes forever to read MP3 CDs? I played the same discs in the tC and it started up much faster.

Just curious. Thanks.

YourNameHere 05-26-2006 06:16 PM

i made an mp3 cd and it jsut kept saying "reading dics" so i took it out and went and got an ipod haha

El_Jorge 05-26-2006 06:50 PM

From pesonal experience, some radios have trouble reading MP3 discs burned on a certain format. It has something to do with how the files are arranged. I cant remember the different formats off hand though.

guitarsurf 05-26-2006 08:26 PM

My MP3 CDs are my back up for when I forget my ipod so I haven't played them too much. I have several burners/software/computers to chose from so I'll try burning them from a different system and see what happens.

I finally realized that you have to get out of random mode to change playlists. That was driving me bonkers!

sstcrew 05-28-2006 04:42 AM

OH BTW after I did the reset all of my play lists show up again. Stupid apple..

guitarsurf 05-28-2006 03:31 PM

Hmmm. Well my last batch of MP3 CDs didn't work at all.

As for the iPod, the Alpine menu shows "playlists (the smart ones and all of the ones I've created), artists, albums and songs" but not "genres (most important to me), podcasts, composers and audio books." Getting closer.

But now it won't even hold a charge so that i can reset it to make it hold a charge. :roll: One problem at a time I guess.

I few minutes ago I would've disagreed with you and said, "stupid Alpine" but now I say, "stupid everything!" haha.