Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-ice-interior-1616/)
-   -   remote start hacks (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-ice-interior-1616/remote-start-hacks-182165/)

ilovemybox 02-27-2010 04:51 PM

remote start hacks

i figured you guys would know wiring and relays. i just had a compustar remote start installed and id like to hack it a little.

my car is a manual so i have to set the car up in reserve mode is there anyway to bypass that so that as long as the cars ebrake is pulled it will start

as it is now i cannot open any doors after its set or will take it out of reserve mode and i have to set it all back up

tCb00b 02-27-2010 07:07 PM

No. This is a bad idea. There is a reason you have to put it in "reserve" mode. Its a safety feature. Do you want to be responsible for your car running someone over or running into another vehicle because you bypassed a safety mechanism?

usdmbB 02-27-2010 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by tCb00b (Post 3487440)
No. This is a bad idea. There is a reason you have to put it in "reserve" mode. Its a safety feature. Do you want to be responsible for your car running someone over or running into another vehicle because you bypassed a safety mechanism?

^^^^ I have to agree 200% this is a really bad idea.

Greg S 02-27-2010 07:22 PM

There are ways to do it safely, just depends on the car. I did it on my 94 Mazda MX-6, I even did one on my 91 Honda VFR motorcycle. You need to find out if the vehicle has a neutral saftey wire or in-gear indicator wire. With this hooked up to one of the remote starters shut down inputs the vehicle will never start in gear. You also want to use the e-brake as a secondary trigger so that it only works with the e-brake on.

Schmohey 02-27-2010 08:49 PM

I also have the Compustar with the reservation mode feature on my manual. As I recall from the installation manual, there is this wire you can cut which will turn off the reservation mode. (It'll think its an automatic).

Its annoying but dealing with litigation problems will be worse. I suggest you to stick with the reservation mode.

usdmbB 02-27-2010 09:42 PM

There are many old hacks for older alarms, but your alarm and any others that can r/s a manual trans. need this function to both protect you (litigation) and your car from being remote started into other cars or down a hill just some examples I have seen over the years.

ack154 02-27-2010 10:43 PM

Merged two threads to 1.

ilovemybox 02-28-2010 03:28 AM

I understand the reasons it's there I never leave my car in gear ever. I'd just like to be able to unlock my car and get something out of it,without starting it to put it back into reserve.

joshboogie 03-03-2010 02:27 PM

I'm not familiar with this particular alarm but based on what I have read so far this should be what you're trying to do.

You need to bypass the neutral safety switch which is located at the top of the clutch. The 2 wires need to have continuity in order for the vehicle to start. If you alarm has a negative trigger output (250ma) then the relay wiring for the bypass should go: 86 - constant 12v/85 - 250ma alarm output/30 - one side of neutral safety switch/87 - opposite side of neutral safety switch.

If there is a wire that needs to be cut on the alarm to make it think its an automatic you can also use a relay to temporarily bypass that as well. Now since the e-brake is a negative trigger you relay wiring should go like this: 86 - constant 12v / 85 - e-brake trigger wire / 87a - one side of alarm wire / 30 - opposite side of alarm wire.

This will only let the alarm remote start when the e-brake is pulled.

ilovemybox 03-04-2010 11:01 PM

joshboogie

Thank you very much for your research. I plan on trying this sometime this weekend.

ill let you know how it turns out

daneisthegreatest 03-08-2010 12:24 AM

a buddy of mine installed some magnetic switches on my shift linkages so it would only start if it was in neutral, that would be your best bet...PM MadMaxbB and he should remember what he used and tell you exactly how to do it.

tCb00b 03-11-2010 01:02 PM

Joshboogie's suggestion won't work.