Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-ice-interior-1616/)
-   -   Scion Pioneer audio unit: STANDARD or OPTIONAL? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-ice-interior-1616/scion-pioneer-audio-unit-standard-optional-54/)

sci-bionic 09-05-2003 07:09 PM

Scion Pioneer audio unit: STANDARD or OPTIONAL?

If you pick OPTIONAL, you'll receive your vehicle without a head unit and the price of the vehicle will be lower.

its_ikon 09-05-2003 07:17 PM

i wouldn't mind having the option of no radio since you can get a nicer one for the price they charge for the standard one.

showpaojoe 09-05-2003 07:28 PM

[quote]If you pick OPTIONAL, you'll receive your vehicle without a head unit and the price of the vehicle will be lower.

Is this true, cuz they just say the standard pioneer unit is $0. That sucks cuz i just got a Kenwood unit 2 days ago and couldv'e save $250. Why don't they tell people they can get it without a head unit for cheaper.

eric_m 09-05-2003 07:49 PM

he is saying that they will change the policy in the future. yeah, i think that's cool. take like $200 off or whatever and not include the radio.

George 09-05-2003 09:26 PM

Years ago you could get a VW without a radio, in which case the radio hole was closed off by a neat little plate. These days, the radio block-off plates are one of the rarest VW items around!

At the cost of the electronics these days, I think that the real cost to Scion for the audio unit is probably about $50 or so, probably less than the labor of installing all the wiring and speakers. Assuming that this is omitted from the no-radio cars, they would then have to produce two different versions which would increase manufacturing costs for the entire car. In the end there would be little difference in price.

Honda does have a "stripper" version of the Element, without radio or AC, but I've never seen one of these in person. I think that it's just a virtual construct that allows them to advertise a low base price for the vehicle. They probably built a few, at greater expense than the regular run, but they are long gone now.

George

avus 09-06-2003 12:13 AM

isn't the main criticism of the STi that it has no radio? but then again that is almost twice the price of the scions

eric_m 09-06-2003 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by avus
isn't the main criticism of the STi that it has no radio? but then again that is almost twice the price of the scions

maybe for idiots who aren't into subarus. the real subaru people know they can get one used on nasioc (subaru club) for $200 or less. so it's not even an issue. add some cheap speakers and you're set since it's already prewired. but once you hear the exhaust note of that car, you're not even going to want a radio.

avus 09-06-2003 12:29 AM

agreed
it seems like a pattern of most read car mags to focus on what the car lacks, talk about it for a page and a half and then mention handling/acceleration/braking

yanges 09-07-2003 07:23 PM

i like having a default radio, Free, but i also like to be able to upgrade the audio system at the dealer and/or get on myself after purchase.....

i got the 6 disc CD Pioneer unit and am pretty happy with its features and sound...

but after looking at DVD pop up displays w/ navigation optional i am pretty tempted to get one of those, but, they cost $2399.00 plus $1700 for the navigational unit!

OUCH!!

i am gonna get a G5 before that!!

but not before i get my xB totally set up to my liking.....

gotta a lot of stuff to think about....

Torokun 09-23-2003 01:36 AM

i am gonna get a G5 before that!!
Mac rocks!

scionlife 10-04-2003 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by George
At the cost of the electronics these days, I think that the real cost to Scion for the audio unit is probably about $50 or so, probably less than the labor of installing all the wiring and speakers. Assuming that this is omitted from the no-radio cars, they would then have to produce two different versions which would increase manufacturing costs for the entire car. In the end there would be little difference in price.

Geez, have you prices the radio at the parts counter, though? I bet it is like $600.00. At least that is how much the Honda stuff seems to run.

They wouldn't have to produce two versions... the car would still be wired for the radio and speakers, they just wouldn't be installed. Just like A/T vs M/T or the color of the car... it is still the same car, just without one part (five, counting speakers) installed. Just make the stereo a dealer accessory like the rest of them. It isn't hard to install!

Darren

ScionVan 10-04-2003 11:24 PM

I think it's great that the Scion comes with a standard audio unit that is so capable, and in many ways, better than a lot of aftermarket decks. I think that even if it was deleted as a standard item to lower the price of the car, you'd end up saving less money than you'd make if you just removed the deck (like if you were going to put an aftermarket one in anyway) and sold it to another Toyota owner on ebay or something. I think a good compromise is to offer to give it to new car buyers uninstalled in the car, albeit at the same price as if it was installed. That way, if you KNOW you're gonna put another head unit in right away, you can just take that uninstalled stock deck home and toss it up on ebay post haste!

bBofSD 10-07-2003 10:23 PM

I rather get the fatory radio just in case something goes wrong with the aftermarket radio i bought. At least i'll have a temp radio. And the Stock radio does cost about $600.00!!!! Too much!!!!

zep131 10-22-2003 04:15 AM

Years ago you could get a VW without a radio, in which case the radio hole was closed off by a neat little plate. These days, the radio block-off plates are one of the rarest VW items around!
what year vw? cause my 63 has that.

bBofSD 10-23-2003 06:07 PM

My brother has a '62 and it had an oldshool radio too. It had knobs and Big push buttons.

sabegnj 11-15-2003 12:00 AM

YO Yanges Your Sh%t is sick......That is the only white i like so far.......The nav would be sweet in your ride...

MrWhite 12-11-2003 02:58 AM

I'm upgrading at the dealer, indash dvd with pop up video unit, and two screen for the headrests for $600.00. I can't wait.

yanges 12-11-2003 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by sabegnj
YO Yanges Your Sh%t is sick......That is the only white i like so far.......The nav would be sweet in your ride...

hey Thanks sabegnj!

yeah, i may get a nav unit, but i really do not have a need for a DVD player in my car.....gonna get somethin' else with that dough....

yanges 12-11-2003 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by MrWhite
I'm upgrading at the dealer, indash dvd with pop up video unit, and two screen for the headrests for $600.00. I can't wait.

that is a great price! you get all of that for $600? do you know what brand it is? thanks!

MrWhite 12-11-2003 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by yanges

Originally Posted by MrWhite

that is a great price! you get all of that for $600? do you know what brand it is? thanks!

Unfortunatley no I don't, I will definitly post when I take the car into my possesion.