Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Sound Deadening Help

Old 01-28-2012, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sound Deadening Help

I am new to sound deadening so please bear with me. I've search the forums about it, but most of them are outdated and the pictures are gone. I'm sure this will also help many others who are wondering the same thing.

I've been looking and I see "Fat Mat" and "Dynamat."
They both have door kits. Fat Mat comes with 4 18" x 25" for $33 on eBay. Dynamat comes with 4 12" x 36" for $47 on Amazon.
Fat Mat also has a 25 square ft roll for $45 on Amazon. I'm not good with measurements, which one do you get more area cover the cheapest?

The door kit says 4 sheets will cover 2 doors. Is that a lie?
What is the inner and outer door?
Is the inner door the metal part of the door and the outer door is the door panel that was remove?
Do I need to cover both inner and outer door to notice a difference?
Which side of the door is more important if I had to pick one?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by itscurtsk; 01-28-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Don't spray, use mat. You want the mat right up against the metal, which means you have to strip everything out and clean the surfaces before you put that mat on it. You should only use spray to fill in the gaps and hard to reach places.

Don't bother sound deadening your doors if you haven't sound deadened your floor first.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jobunaga
Don't spray, use mat. You want the mat right up against the metal, which means you have to strip everything out and clean the surfaces before you put that mat on it. You should only use spray to fill in the gaps and hard to reach places.

Don't bother sound deadening your doors if you haven't sound deadened your floor first.
awww dam it. i guess this is gonna be a project in which i won't start. just doing the doors and trunk + wheel area won't help improve the music and remove some exterior noise?
Old 01-28-2012, 11:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had an 05 xA and only put sound deadening in the doors and it made a huge difference. It helped with road noise and the stereo. It is a lot of work but well worth it.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been looking and I see "Fat Mat" and "Dynamat."
They both have door kits.
Fat Mat comes with 4 18" x 25" for $33 on eBay. =12.5 square feet =$2.64 per sq. ft.
Dynamat comes with 4 12" x 36" for $47 on Amazon. =12 square feet =$3.91 per sq. ft.
Fat Mat also has a 25 square ft roll for $45 on Amazon. =$1.80 per sq. ft.
I'm not good with measurements, which one do you get more area cover the cheapest? Fat Mat by the roll

The door kit says 4 sheets will cover 2 doors. Is that a lie?
depends how you do it, some people will cover over all access holes to the inside some people will leave them open. some people will use this damping material to isolate metal vibration and use closed cell foam or vinyls to block the sound. lots of reading available!

What is the inner and outer door?

Is the inner door the metal part of the door and the outer door is the door panel that was remove?
No, the inner door is the side you see from the inside when the door panel is removed.the outer panel is the metal on the outside of the door. Placing damping material to the outer pane will help reduce the amount of noise from the road and outside and the inner panel will help block the sound and reduce vibration from the speaker.

Do I need to cover both inner and outer door to notice a difference? with sound deadening more is always better.

Which side of the door is more important if I had to pick one? I can not tell you as I started at my hatch with a 36 sq. ft. box of Dynamat and a bag of poly-fill. I placed squares of mat to the outside metal, all support metal behind the rear panel, Poly-filled the rear hatch, Best bang for the buck, huge difference for a $7 bag of poly-fill) and then did the rear fender wells and rear floor to under the back seats. Really happy with the results and will continue to do the rest of the floor, fire wall and doors in spring
Old 01-28-2012, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i ordered the fatmat 25 square foot roll today. gonna work a layer on the cargo area first. i'm still unsure on how to do the doors. i see people putting something in the large hole and then put a layer of mat on top? can i just cut an outline of the hole on the mat and stick it in there?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would anyone recommend using eDead for road-noise? They're cheaper than Fat Mat and Dynamat, but are they worth it dollar for dollar? I want to do the entire cabin (minus the headliner, for now) and have been told it will take +120 sq. ft. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money since I am already installing Clazzio seat covers and putting heaters in all 4 seats. But I am willing to spend a little extra if the difference in product quality is noticeable and I already have the interior torn apart.

I want to use mat wherever I can, and then brush to fill all the gaps (and maybe a thin layer all around to use up any extra). Would it be better to use 1 layer of eDead v4 @ $2/sq. ft., or use 2 layers of eDead 45 @ $1/sq. ft.? Would it be a waste of money to buy an extra gallon to brush over everything?

If I do a layer of brush-on, is it better to put it on first, or to put it on after the mat?

The prices I found are from http://www.edesignaudio.com
Old 02-26-2012, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Budsmoke
Would anyone recommend using eDead for road-noise? They're cheaper than Fat Mat and Dynamat, but are they worth it dollar for dollar? I want to do the entire cabin (minus the headliner, for now) and have been told it will take +120 sq. ft. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money since I am already installing Clazzio seat covers and putting heaters in all 4 seats. But I am willing to spend a little extra if the difference in product quality is noticeable and I already have the interior torn apart.

I want to use mat wherever I can, and then brush to fill all the gaps (and maybe a thin layer all around to use up any extra). Would it be better to use 1 layer of eDead v4 @ $2/sq. ft., or use 2 layers of eDead 45 @ $1/sq. ft.? Would it be a waste of money to buy an extra gallon to brush over everything?

If I do a layer of brush-on, is it better to put it on first, or to put it on after the mat?

The prices I found are from http://www.edesignaudio.com
I'd go with the edead 45 since it's cheaper. The only difference I see between the 2 is the material. The v4 material might be better, might not, unless someone can tell me what the different materials are. Thanks for the link, I might get some eDead 45 because its price is attractive, way cheaper than FatMat or DynoMat. Don't even bother buying paint, just use leftover mat and overlap and cover it. The thicker the better ? =]

edit: their shipping is a bit pricey, but you may be able to save in some ways.

Last edited by itscurtsk; 02-26-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member

Seems like youve got your question answered. but for future views... Most of the mats that are out there these days are very similar so get the most for the best price you can.. the inner panel is the "sheet" metal that you removed the panel from. The outer panel is the sheet of metal (or fiberglass) that is the outside of the door, through the sheet of metal(that you removed the panel from).
To get the minimum result you want to cover the inner panel. To reduce the road noise and get better sound you want to cover both the inner and outer panels with mat, (you can double up if you want but not always necessary). To maximize your results, mat the inner and outer, and strip the interior and mat the entire area with mat; that would give you the max amount of "insulation" and reduce nearly all exteior noise.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member

Smile

Ok so I just got down sound deadening with audio technix 80 mil sound deadner on the ceiling, hatch, and tire well, also quarter panels in the back. I use a technique called CDL tiles....works the best on a budget because you only need to cover about 25% of the panel your trying to deaden...also doesnt weigh your car down...just need a roller and the know how on how to strip a care to its bare inside the car.....sorry kinda late on the reply lol just thought i would contribute
Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Note that you don't want to use any product that comes on a roll. Those products are asphalt based, not butyl rubber based. Do a Google search on asphalt sound deadening and you'll see why you don't want to be using it in your car. Fatmat is an asphalt based product IIRC. I use CLD tiles from Sound Deadener Showdown. Don is a great guy and will make sure you get the right products to accomplish your goals. Sound deadening is actually more aptly named resonance control. Sound deadening doesn't do much in the way of blocking outside sound, rather its used to control panel vibrations. Closed Cell Foam is what should be used as a sound barrier to block outside noise. Yes, sound deadening helps a little, but not the right tool for the job. Read up on the SDS website, loads of good information there.