Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Speedometer and starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 01:53 AM

Default Speedometer and starting issues

I have a 2004 Scion XA auto trans, it has about 207000 miles on it. Recently I pulled into a gas station, got gas, and when I went to start the car it wouldn't turn over. All of the lights were on inside the cab when the key was in the ignition but no sounds of trying to turn over. I tried cycling the key and still nothing. Then I found the starter tapped on it a few times with some pliers and it started right up no other issues on the ride home. This morning it started up just fine again but the speedometer didn't work, it was stuck at 0 mph. The gas gauge and tach. both seemed to work fine except when I would first start up the would hesitate (bounce) a little before finally moving into the correct position after a few seconds. A few hours later I went out to check fuses looking for a VSS fuse (which I could not locate) I lightly shook a few wiring harnesses got back in the car and everything worked. Any Ideas???
Old 07-28-2017, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That doesn't sound good - like you have a harness issue with the speedo going dead like that and then moving the harness gets it going again.
If you are lucky, it could just be a bad connector. As harnesses get old and exposed to heat sometimes the lock that holds a plug into a socket can snap and the plug may start backing out of connection. Failing that, you have to start looking for a broken or chewed thru wire.

Example of chewed thru wire

With the start motor, it could be the solenoid is not making proper contact and it doesn't look as though it is a serviceable part...
2004 Scion XA STARTER
If the start motor keeps giving you trouble, it may be easier to just get a replacement from the evil rockauto... or autozone etc etc
2004 SCION XA 1.5L L4 Starter Motor | RockAuto
It may respond to dismantling, cleaning, greasing etc, if you have time for that.

I do think you have 2 problems here though