Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

tc navigation head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tc navigation head unit

Hey guys, Im interested in getting a navigation for my car. Im looking for a double-din navigation only unit (not interested in DVDs). Are there any manufacturers that make just the navigation plus ability to play mp3s? I know of Eclipse AVNs but 2494 comes with DVD plus navi add on, and the other one (2535?) comes with both. Thanks for your help
Old 05-31-2005, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

This topic has been going on and on and on different threads. Do a search you will find it.
I have given so many info and opinion about it.

See here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64301

Click on Search, type Navigation, select Search for all terms, forum: ICE, Electric and Interior, then Search! You will find a bunch of threads talked about that!

I've had 4 different navigation unit before. I'm currently using the newest Eclipse AVN5435. If you want navi, and no dvd playback, go with Pioneer AVIC-D1.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for your help. It seems like for the price I might as well go with AVN5435 and use the DVD to my advantage
Old 06-01-2005, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heck yes you should.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by zhenya
thanks for your help. It seems like for the price I might as well go with AVN5435 and use the DVD to my advantage
I was just like where you at right now. I didnt think I want a dvd playback, it would be nice though. Then I realize the price aint much different, so i went with the top model, Eclipse AVN5435. Pioneer AVIC-D1 looks nice, so much like it was meant to be there. It has better audio output quality and XM Traffic too. But the price is so so so close to the AVN5435, why not the AVN5435?! So I got it at the end and loving it ever since!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I' don't wanna get slapped for this

but what does DIN or Double DIN mean

i see that in every other post here...

i never found out what it means
Old 06-01-2005, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CyRaX2007

got this off crutchfield...

DIN is an acronym for the roughly translated "Deutsche Institut fur Normung," a German standards and measurements organization. For our purposes, DIN simply indicates that a device complies with a generally accepted standard of dimension or configuration.

A DIN receiver, for example, is one that will fit in a dash opening having a width of 7.2 inches and a height of 2.11 inches, typically mounting with a rectangular metal bracket (DIN Sleeve) provided with the receiver.

* The DIN sleeve is designed to mount in the radio cavity of the vehicle. It features a flange on the front edge to allow the sleeve to flush-mount in the radio opening.
Some DIN sleeves have a distinct top and bottom - check for "TOP" stamped on the sleeve!

* Once inserted, a series of "V" or "U" notches stamped in the top and bottom of the sleeve can be bent behind the vehicle's trim panel (or installation kit faceplate) with a flat-blade screwdriver or similar tool to secure the sleeve in place. Typically not all notches will be able to be used.

* Following the installation of the sleeve, the receiver slides into the sleeve where it locks in place. This is accomplished by a combination of small clips on both the receiver and sleeve. The location of these clips often vary based on model or manufacturer. It is important that you use your receiver's included DIN sleeve for proper mounting.

* Most manufacturers include specific removal tools to release the receiver from the sleeve. Be certain to keep these tools should removal be necessary.

basically.. civics have a single din

[O___] <kinda like that (example would be a pop up navigation screens like avic-n1)

and scions have double din radios

[O----]
[------] <kinda sorta like that (example would be AVN2454)
Old 06-01-2005, 08:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC Normo
Originally Posted by CyRaX2007

got this off crutchfield...

DIN is an acronym for the roughly translated "Deutsche Institut fur Normung," a German standards and measurements organization. For our purposes, DIN simply indicates that a device complies with a generally accepted standard of dimension or configuration.

A DIN receiver, for example, is one that will fit in a dash opening having a width of 7.2 inches and a height of 2.11 inches, typically mounting with a rectangular metal bracket (DIN Sleeve) provided with the receiver.

* The DIN sleeve is designed to mount in the radio cavity of the vehicle. It features a flange on the front edge to allow the sleeve to flush-mount in the radio opening.
Some DIN sleeves have a distinct top and bottom - check for "TOP" stamped on the sleeve!

* Once inserted, a series of "V" or "U" notches stamped in the top and bottom of the sleeve can be bent behind the vehicle's trim panel (or installation kit faceplate) with a flat-blade screwdriver or similar tool to secure the sleeve in place. Typically not all notches will be able to be used.

* Following the installation of the sleeve, the receiver slides into the sleeve where it locks in place. This is accomplished by a combination of small clips on both the receiver and sleeve. The location of these clips often vary based on model or manufacturer. It is important that you use your receiver's included DIN sleeve for proper mounting.

* Most manufacturers include specific removal tools to release the receiver from the sleeve. Be certain to keep these tools should removal be necessary.

basically.. civics have a single din

[O___] <kinda like that (example would be a pop up navigation screens like avic-n1)

and scions have double din radios

[O----]
[------] <kinda sorta like that (example would be AVN2454)
Old 06-02-2005, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes thanks for the write-up !!