Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Whats the Ideal - Best Carputer Specs (Cpu,Mem,etc )???

Old 01-25-2007, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member

Default Whats the Ideal - Best Carputer Specs (Cpu,Mem,etc )???

Im still a Newbie and Ive been reading around, Can anyone recomend the best Carputer Spec in relation to Proccesor, Mem Ram, Sound, Video, etc. I was told that Mid level pcs are actually better than the newer ones when it comes to carputers. My main concern is FAST start up time and speed and be able to use Multimedia applications and GPS.

This is the PC that I'm planning on using...

Dell Pentium 4 - 2.26ghz Mem-1gb 200gb Hard Drive
Old 01-25-2007, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sup dude, I'm your neighbor from manhattan ;]

The specs you mentioned are pretty decent - taht is definitely enough for the things you mentioned -multimedia, playing dvds/movies, etc.

Check out the link in my sig to see my "computer" setup in my xB... I am using a Lenovo x41 tablet that has: 1.5ghz centrino processor, 1 gig ram, 60 gig disk. The p4 you have will blow my setup out of the water by far.

With your specs, to get the best boot up time, you should tweak and shrink your windows installation. remove all unnecessary files, uninstall all unnecessary services/software, etc. you will notice a huge improvement in bootup once you do this. look around on the internet for windows "shrinknig" sites that will show you how to make your setup boot faster.

good luck,
- sh00k
Old 01-25-2007, 03:26 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

...or skip Windows alltogether and go Linux. May I recommend Suse 10?
Old 01-27-2007, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

eh, myself I'm either a Debian or Gentoo guy, but I think we need to look at his applications.

If he wants to do nav, then what Nix app would he be able to use to do it? I think for most people, windows is the right choice for using off the shelf applications.

I want to do wardriving, so nix is a smart choice (I'll be making XUL enabled web interfaces for everything and then just skin firefox and have it hit localhost for running all my wardriving, then tie into the google maps api for mapping. Still haven't started writing any of this yet though)

--James
Old 01-29-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I have a guestion for anybody that can help.
I have a PCM-5825 I know it is slow dont laugh Is there anything out there that will let me run the video to my monitor Composite (RCA) inputs from the VGA output from the computer?I tried a VGA to Composite spliter the bios will not support doing it this way.
Is there a cheap easy way to do this?
I already have a TV/DVD player but would like to have the internet if I need it without having to carry my laptop with me.

Thanks,Scott