Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

xb1 audio questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:56 AM

Default xb1 audio questions

I have a bunch of questions regarding the car audio. I know I want to first replace the double din unit in the xb.

I have a 06.5 scion xb

I need a little help finding the right head unit, trying to get the best bang for my buck!

What I want from it:

1) To be able to use the steering wheel controls
2) Play mp3 cd's
3) Must have 3 RCA parts for running up 4 (2 rca sets) for speakers and 2 for a sub.
4) USB in the back is nice but not required
5) SD card is nice but not required.

What options would you suggest? I would like to spend less than 300, preferably less than 200.

One of the decks I found that seemed to work with my requirements was this one:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...ceiver/DPX300U

Amazon has it for $130
Amazon.com: Kenwood Double DIN In-Dash Car Stereo Receiver: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Kenwood Double DIN In-Dash Car Stereo Receiver: Car Electronics

This above kenwood seemed to meet my specs by being able to hook up steering wheel controls later on, it also did mp3's and had hte 3 sets of RCA's

Any tips, suggestions would be awesome!

Also I am aware that I can get the wiring harness for non cutting install.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

try cHecking out CRUTCHFIELD.COM to see head units that fit + options available and u can also speak to a sales rep by phone to help 4 additional info. good luck......
Old 06-04-2013, 02:49 AM

+1 for what JIMXB said. Crutchfield is such a great resource. And you get tech support for life. I've never used any double din, only single. Thus far, my last 2 head units were JVC and I loved them for several reasons. HD radio built in, optional blutooth, and you can change the color of the buttons and screen. A plethora of colors to boot, not just 2. Check this one out http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWHR...T.html?tp=5684

Last edited by corbmonster; 06-04-2013 at 02:50 AM. Reason: edit for spelling
Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 AM

whatever you get, don't forget to wire up the power antenna. Otherwise, you lose reception. See this post.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:02 AM

Thanks guys! I ended up getting the pioneer avhx1500 for $222.79 on amazon!

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X150...x1500&skipvs=T

read some good reviews and found it cheap on amazon! I was able to wire it up and did not wire up the power antenna. I did loose some radio stations I will check that post and figure it out! Thanks for that link.

Now I need to find 2 more things

1) The speaker wire adapters for the dash (need the model #, best buy did not have the right one

2) The speaker rings for the front door and the rear!

Any help would be GREAT!

Thanks
Old 06-04-2013, 03:26 AM

Both of those things are on crutchfield. Enter your vehicle, and look at parts and accessories. If you get door speakers, I would suggest you get bass blockers for them. It will protect them by blocking sounds they weren't designed to reproduce. Also cheap on crutchfield. Getting a sub in your car is difficult on the cheap if you are not willing to give up some storage space.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by corbmonster
Both of those things are on crutchfield. Enter your vehicle, and look at parts and accessories. If you get door speakers, I would suggest you get bass blockers for them. It will protect them by blocking sounds they weren't designed to reproduce. Also cheap on crutchfield. Getting a sub in your car is difficult on the cheap if you are not willing to give up some storage space.
Thanks, ill check it out.

I already got a 10" sub that fits under the passenger seat perfectly... infinity basslink. Got it for $100, I have not hooked it up yet but it fits perfectly under my passenger seat without any mods!

I just need to buy a RCA cable set and then run the power wire from my engine bay and then figure out the best place to ground the basslink, I was thinking with a seat bolt, but not sure if thats the best location.

do you have a link for that infinity?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:30 AM

crutchfield has it for $200 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qr72XTH...-BassLink.html

amazon has it for $180 with prime
Amazon.com: Infinity Basslink 200-Watt, Dual 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer System (Black): Car Electronics Amazon.com: Infinity Basslink 200-Watt, Dual 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer System (Black): Car Electronics

I have a 06.5 xb and it fits perfect under the seat. I can take a pic tomorrow if you want, let me know.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:35 AM

That fits under the passenger seat?! how? it's 14.5 x 13.4 x 10. Its like a cubic foot!
Old 06-04-2013, 03:41 AM

That fits under the passenger seat?! how? it's 14.5 x 13.4 x 10. Its like a cubic foot!
Its tight but it fits, I will take a picture tomorrow when there is light. What year is your xb? I think I read somewhere that the 06.5 seats are a little different than the 04-06, the .5 might be slightly higher.

Question, what difference do the speaker baffles do? How do they install?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:51 AM

mine is an '06. I think I heard the '06.5 did have different seats. I'll have to measure out the space under my seats. Speaker baffles: You know what a sub enclosure is right? A speaker baffle is like a sub enclosure made for smaller mid-range speakers like 6.5", 5.25" etc that are made out of foam. Their purpose is 2 fold: 1) to protect the speaker somewhat from leaking water and such. 2) to improve bass response (provided you have speakers that infact, could provide bass response. Such as amplified component speakers (which I highly recommend, but not necessary)). If you go that route, cut a 1-1.5 inch hole on the bottom so air can flow. http://www.crutchfield.com/g_762/Foa...s.html?tp=2809

Last edited by corbmonster; 06-04-2013 at 03:52 AM. Reason: added link
Old 06-04-2013, 03:54 AM

do you think they would work with alpine spr 60 type r speakers with an apline amp? they are shallow mount.

do you put the baffle on the door, then the speaker ring on top of it then screw it together?
Old 06-04-2013, 04:17 AM

they would, but 2 bits of food for thought: 1 those won't fit our doors without you making some type of custom adapter as those are 6-3/4 inch (I know it says it fits some 6-1/2, but crutchfield says it won't fit our '06 xB). When you go to Crutchfield, click on car audio, then click "What fits my car". The other bit of food for thought: Those are $200 coaxial speakers... I'll make the assumption that you want some good sounding stuff. Don't get coaxial (they have the tweeters on the woofer). Get component speakers instead. The woofer is one speaker by itself, and the tweeter is separate. There is a crossover that sends the highs to the tweeters, and mids and lows to the woofers (They are basically small sub woofers that put out midrange and some low). The sound is inarguably of much better quality. The highs are so clear, and you can put them where you want them, and the mids are much richer. The only down side (its not really a down side if you think about it), is you have to have an amp to drive it. I'd look for components that need about 80-120 watts rms. Personally On the link I sent you I like those polk DXi6500 on sale for $150. If quality is what you want that's what I'd do. That's what I saved for, and I don't regret it.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:18 AM

they would, but 2 bits of food for thought: 1 those won't fit our doors without you making some type of custom adapter as those are 6-3/4 inch (I know it says it fits some 6-1/2, but crutchfield says it won't fit our '06 xB). When you go to Crutchfield, click on car audio, then click "What fits my car". The other bit of food for thought: Those are $200 coaxial speakers... I'll make the assumption that you want some good sounding stuff. Don't get coaxial (they have the tweeters on the woofer). Get component speakers instead. The woofer is one speaker by itself, and the tweeter is separate. There is a crossover that sends the highs to the tweeters, and mids and lows to the woofers (They are basically small sub woofers that put out midrange and some low). The sound is inarguably of much better quality. The highs are so clear, and you can put them where you want them, and the mids are much richer. The only down side (its not really a down side if you think about it), is you have to have an amp to drive it. I'd look for components that need about 80-120 watts rms. Personally On the link I sent you I like those polk DXi6500 on sale for $150. If quality is what you want that's what I'd do. That's what I saved for, and I don't regret it.
I already own them from a previous car, I loved em. If I did go coaxial, where do you put your tweeters? I bought some 4" alpine sps 410 speakers for the dash.

Did you use the tweeters in your car or did you just use the woofer and let the dash speakers take your highs?

I dont really want to cut the car any more than I have to.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:36 PM

If you already own them, see if you can work with the adapter bracket you ordered. Crutchfield could be wrong. Or it could be a simple fix. If you went component, (what you have is coaxial), I would put the tweeters in the dash where the 4" speakers go, using back strap to make an adapter. That's what I've seen several people do. And when I get my stuff out of my old car, what I'm going to do. Like you, I didn't want to cut in the plastic. And I don't want to buy kick panels. But since you already have some after market 4", I'd just work with what you have.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 PM

If you already own them, see if you can work with the adapter bracket you ordered. Crutchfield could be wrong. Or it could be a simple fix. If you went component, (what you have is coaxial), I would put the tweeters in the dash where the 4" speakers go, using back strap to make an adapter. That's what I've seen several people do. And when I get my stuff out of my old car, what I'm going to do. Like you, I didn't want to cut in the plastic. And I don't want to buy kick panels. But since you already have some after market 4", I'd just work with what you have.
Yea, the plan was to use what I have already.

How do you think it would sound if you just bought component and only installed the woofer and not the tweeter? Then used the 4" in the door to do the highs.

?

- Shay
Old 06-04-2013, 09:31 PM

Well, I would make a hypothesis that the component tweeters would perform better than the 4", but I really don't know to be honest with you. If I'm not mistaken I believe they come together. So if you ordered the component speakers it comes with the tweeters, and crossovers. I'd work with what you got though. Maybe if the brackets didn't work, you might have a friend with some 3/8 inch plywood they wouldn't mind donating to the cause? Or sheet metal.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:20 PM

Cool, ill get everything in and see what I think. I had components before and loved em. These speakers were good too when I had em in another car.

- Shay

Quick Reply: xb1 audio questions