Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

2006 xB - Progress RSB Tech Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 08:54 PM
SL Member

Default 2006 xB - Progress RSB Tech Problem

Decided on the Progress rear sway bar (RSB) after reading Sway Bar 101 thread for the "new to me" 2006 xB with 54000 miles I picked up in Houston couple weeks ago. 22mm. Ran into a problem with installation. Wanted to check with you all (I am from Texas) to see if anyone has run into a similar problem.

Left a Voice Mail with Progress Customer Service. Looking forward to speaking with them soon.

Here's the deal. The bar itself does not appear to be manufactured correctly. The holes in the endplates correspond with the holes in the "flag" connectors. The "flag" connector holes line up with the holes in the Scion rear suspension. However, the way the bar is bent, it does not match the geometry of the Scion rear crossbar. Therefore, there is no way to attach the RSB to the Scion. On the right side, the angle from the RSB to the bar's attaching arm is almost 90 degrees. On the left (driver's) side, this angle leans out 10 to 15 degrees. More than 90 degrees to about 105 degrees. In addition, the side-to-side distance between the rear-most bolt holes on my Progress model 62.2170 RSB for 1st gen Scion xB is 1" less than it needs to be.

If the bending angle was the only issue, I live on a ranch so I could probably bend it into the correct shape. Probably not a great idea to force bend spring steel, but out here you learn how to make things work.

Even if I could conquer the bending angle issue there is no way I am going to be able to stretch the bar 1" to get the rear-most bolt holes to line up.

As far as I can tell, I don't see any signs of damage to the rear suspension crossbar that would lead me to believe it has been damaged or knocked out to a wider stance than stock.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated if you have any insights into my dilemma.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:58 PM
SL Member

Please don't let the "noob" smell of this throw you off, I could really use your help.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2017, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

I'd wait until Progress replied to see what they say...other option is to search some of the posts on here with pictures of the Progress bar installed to see if you can visually tell a difference between your bar and the ones in the pictures.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:58 AM
SL Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't come up with much using the search and compare strategy, but, alas, Progress finally called me back and we are working things out.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:53 AM
SL Member

Replacement bar fit perfectly and was a good improvement. Better handling without a harsh ride. Perfect for my old bones.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the Hotchkiss rear bar in my xB and my son has the TRD rear bar in his xB. (We also have the Hotchkiss front bar in both cars.) The rear bars are hands down the biggest bang for the buck handling improvement for these cars.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:27 AM
SL Member

Have to check that out for the front bar when I get up to that part of the xB. My 2006 xB stocker is a wheelchair hauler for my wife and thus a street queen full time. What is it that you like about thee Hotchkiss handling?
Old 08-18-2017, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by itswhatido
Have to check that out for the front bar when I get up to that part of the xB. My 2006 xB stocker is a wheelchair hauler for my wife and thus a street queen full time. What is it that you like about thee Hotchkiss handling?
The front bar is a much more involved installation and doesn't have as dramatic of an effect on handling as adding the rear bar alone. It is however hollow as opposed to solid for the OEM bar and significantly lighter while somewhat stiffer. That said, the combination of the front and rear bars, 1.5" Tein lowering springs, KYB shocks (with OEM struts) and some sticky tires really makes my xB a blast to drive in the twisties. The ride is a bit stiffer, but not unreasonably so. The big difference is how flat it corners. Now if it only had some power ...