Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Airride Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Airride Suspension

Sup guys I'm new here,

I want install a fast bag set up for my car. I was just wondering if it will be reliable for a daily driver? I drive about 60 miles a day.

I'm thinking of running:
*2 viair 380
*5 gal tank
*FBI brackets/slam specailties bags
*Easy Street air strut or universal air strut???? (I want the lowest and highest lift as posible)
*1/2 lines
*8 SMC vales for FBSS

What do you people running air think? I'm new to air suspension. The last car I owned was a lifted 4x4. I like Airrunner but it's just too slow.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member

well first off from my experiance as a former mini-trucker ive run an ample amount of compressors for airbags. in my own opinion i would get either ONE viair 450 or the new airzenith. right now those two compressors are at the top of the charts for performance. they both have very fast fill times (for them selves alone) and they always run at 100% duty. ive never had either one of those fail yet. you dont need anymore compressor than that because i doubt you will want your box used for a jumping competition. its unlikely you will want to hop it going down the local expressway going 70mph.

a 5 gallon tank would be perfect. anything more would just be dumb because it would not only take forever to fill (even with 2 compressors), but its just a waste of space. i run a slim 5 gallon in my Xb and its perfect size to work around with audio and other things like cargo.

ive looked at both the Easy Street Air and the FBI brackets for the rear set up and i chose the Easy Street Air ones because: 1 they are local to my home town and 2 i know some of the guys that work at AirLift (supplyer of EasyStreet). plus ive ordered stuff from them before. needless to say prices tend to drop when you know people lol. if i were you because FBI i believe is located in california, i would go with them. you will get the parts faster, pay less in shipping and if something goes wrong you can get teh replaced part back sooner than if you had to send it here to michigan.

Easy Street Air struts are by far the best i have used. they ride nice, they perform well under tight turns (not indy car status but tight for a bagged top heavy car). although they are expensive, its well worth it not having to replace them time and again if you go with cheap suspension stuff. as far as lift goes, they arent too bad. the lift about and inch or two over stock height all the way to a 5 1/2 inch drop past stock height. it doesnt lay the skirts on the ground but itll have to do untill someone finds a way to lay the vehicle out on them.

1/2 DOT lines are good everyone uses them unless you want to get real complicated and show savvy and go with bent stainless... which is a pain in the ___ to work with.

as for the valves, the bigger the valve the fast your up and down basically. a friend of mine ran 1, 1/2 inch fill valve per bag on his ford dually, he had a 460 big block for the engine, and with those valves he could hop the dually like 2 feet off the ground. i could hop my s-10 at least a foot off the ground running 3/8 valves. you want fast lift yes sometimes too big is too much. fast dumps eventually you will find it annoying to get you ride height level. i would go with 3/8 fills and 3/8 dumps with flow controls. with the flow controls, you can adjust the amount of pressure you want coming out of your bags. this way if its too fast simply close the flow control a little and then keep adjusting it to the point you want it and then be happy lol.

here is a list of my air setups parts:
1) 5 gallon tank 9 ports
1) stand alone viair 450 compressor
4) single pole double throw switches (custom made switch box)
8 ) 3/8 SMC valves (4 for fill, 4 for dump)
1/2 dot air line (for bags)
1/4 dot air line (for pressure guages)
1) Easy Street Rear Air setup for Xb (includes 2b6 2500 lb lift bags)
1) set of EasyStreet Air front strut Bags
1) single needle air pressure guage (for the tank pressure)
2) dual needle guages (one needle per bag)
1) 110-145psi pressure switch (compressor starts filling at 110 psi and stops at 145 psi)
1) water trap
12) 1/2 parker 'pres-lok' push to connect collars
14 guage wire for all the electrical stuff

i hope some of this information helps you out a little. if you have anymore questions please feel free to post them up here or talk to me on AIM. my screen name is the same here as it is on AIM (guck84). and again this is all my own opinion on some of the products ive used.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd go smaller on the lines. 1/2" move that car fast!!! go a bit smaller.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the help guys. The more help the marrier. Anyone with more info will be much help.

I'll probably take your advice and go with one Viair 450. One of my main concerns is fill time (those compressors are annoying, it gets pretty loud). So are the 3/8 valves still pretty fast?

Does anybody know any good shops around South Cali that install Air Bags?
Old 05-09-2006, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member

i wouldnt have the kit done by someone. just do it yourself. its easy and pretty in pictures lol. and to answer your question about the 3/8 valves... it depends on what you want. i like haveing my box shoot up like no other because in michigan there is a height limit for your bumper (though fightable in court its still no fun getting pulled over). none the less i like the fills fast and the dumps slow because its easier to adjust your ride height. its really hard to adjust while driving if your dump valves are fast. if it lets out too fast than your ___ is on the ground if its slow you can at least keep tapping the switch to adjust proper ride height.

as for fill times here are the exact specs from Airlifts compressors (same as viair)

-part # 16450
-Air Lift 450C

-max pressure: 150 psi (ive put mine over 350 due to my broken pressure switch and it still works lol)

-'horse power': 1/4

-Max amp draw: 23amps

-duty cycle: 100%

-speed A: 400 seconds
-speed B: 131 seconds

*speed A- time to fill a 5 gallon tank from 0-145 psi
*speed B- time to fill a 5 gallond tank from 110-145 psi

again i hope this helps. i check this sight periodically now so please feel free to ask any questions and i will help as best i can for you and others as well.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how reliable are bags for daily driving use??
Old 05-09-2006, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member

lol well it depends on the use... ive gone through a ton of bags. mainly from missuse and improper inflation like screwing around and putting 300 psi in a dual port RS72 bag. this tends to blow shreads of the bag throughout your garage lol. anyways, when bags are used properly they tend to last a lot longer. all semi trucks have bags on their cabs and also on the suspensions. though these are helper bags they still serve pretty much the same purpose. they can go years without replacing a bag. i have not gone through any winters with my XB bagged yet, however i did drive my s-10 daily in the winter time and it had full air ride on it. the only problem i had was my valves sticking because of the colder temperatures. heat can also effect the bag. youll notice in the summer time the bag tends to fill quicker than in the winter time thus over inflating the bag. this is caused from denser air molecules. in the winter time there arent as many molecules to do that. dont get me wrong the bag system will at one point or another fail, if it does its usually a minor repair and takes only a saturday afternoon to fix. no big problem. anyways. if you want to know my opinion about which kind of bags to get,

1st choice would be Slam Specialties rs62 bags (which are called something different now like r6...). the reason i choose these over any other bag is because they maintain a constant overall diameter whether inflated or deflated, plus they are steel braided on the inside so its very unlikely you will blow them up because of a bad mounting angle.

my second choice is the 2B6 bag from Air Lift. these bags are not quite as durable as the Slam Specialties, but they certainly are the runner up. they maintain almost the same diameter inflated and deflated. they pancake out at about 2.75 inches. they have internal bump stops built in so you cant bottom them out and crush the bag. the only few down falls are they are not steel braided and they tend to blow when over inflated too many times. but if you are running them on an Xb i wouldnt worry too much about that simply because it doesnt take too much pressure to lift the back anyway.

as for firestone bags.... stay clear... they suck! everything i just said up there ^ firestones do just the opposite. they are only good for overload help.

lol again these are only my thoughts on what ive used and experianced in the past. keep the questions coming and ill try to answer them the best way i can.

slam specialties can be found at suicidedoors.com (thorbeck brothers customs)
air lift bags can be found at easystreetair.com

both bags run about 60-80$ each depending on the size.

as for daily driving... i say do it because 1) youll love hitting the switchs for hotties in the car next to you. 2) it give your vehicle a certain 'stance' like a street sled. 3) it makes the ride like floating on a cloud. much like the way a caddy rides.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about moister?? down here in houston, texas humidity is an everyday thing. and its gettin hotter every year as well and i have yet to walk outside and it be under 50, lol. so basically i should build my own kit and install it myself (my dad use to own a race car fab shop and i know a few things myself). i was lookin at some prices and i can see a kit would go for 1400 if i built it myself you i come out ahead with better parts?? do you have a break down of parts that would be a good setup for around that price. bags are kinda new to me and the only reason why i stayed away from them is cause ive seen alot of ppl riding stock height then their setup goes out on them while driving. im basically gonna use the bags when im parked and not all the time while im out and about.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member

good point with the moisture... thats where the water trap comes into play. water will not hurt your valves no matter what you hear. ive worked as a tool and die designer for almost 5 years now and ive put these exact kind of valves under way more extreme circumstances than any vehicle should go though. but none the less the water trap helps keep the water seperated from the air. it will not keep all the water seperated, but it will help for sure. its very easy to use. you connect the line from the compressor into the water trap then to the air tank. this will instantly trap all water being pushed into the tank. then every once in a while just simply drain the water out the bottom with the purge valve.

anyways heres a rough list of how much my set up costs with everything i needed to bag my stuff:

5 gallon 9 port tank: 60$
4 single pole double throw switchs: 24$
rear bag set up with bags included: 250$
viair 450 compressor: 170$
parker pres-lok fittings: 40$
4 brass T-Fittings: 20$
1 single needle pressure guage for tank: 15$
2 double needle pressure guages for bags: 60$
2 front XB bags: 520$
various airline and wiring: 50$ ( i had some left over from my truck)

total: 1209$

these prices cannot be garunteed. again like i said in previous posts, ive been in the air-ride scene for a long time and i know quite a bit of people to get hook-ups from. you can also reduce your prices buy shopping on e-bay and there are also a ton of people always selling air stuff on s10forum.com. just look around, go to shows and ask around if anyone is selling anything. get to know them and tell them you want to get into the scene a little more. take my advice, the more people you know the lower your prices get... garunteed!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the airrunner kit it fills fast and dumps slow who do you know with airruner? also noone said you cant run electric valves with the airruner setup i drive my xb daily and have never had a problem with anything. i like adjustability in my suspension, the kit comes with 4 way dampning struts and shorter shocks in the rear 2 dual needle gauges and the switch pannel, it is the most complete kit and so far noone running it has experienced even the smallest problem that i know of. let me know if you have any questions. im not advising anything im just letting you know that there are options to eaisly upgrad the airrunner setup if you so choose. plus airruner rides great better than any other bagged vehicle i have ever owned / driven.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The first thing you need to do is look here...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=106196

There has been both good and bad information posted in this thread so far. There have been plenty of answers and opinions without a lot of explanation.

Now, examining the original post, I will throw in my own comments...

*2 viair 380 - These are great compressors if you can't afford a higher flowing compressor and HAVE TO HAVE 200 psi. Fortunately the xB is super light and 150 psi is more than enough to achieve full lift. Get yourself a Viair 450 or 400 and call it good. The 450 is 100% rated and the 400 is 33% rated. However, the 400 flows significantly more so would not require as much use. Again, reference the post above for more detailed specs.

*5 gal tank - 5 gallon is about the perfect size. Just make sure you determine where and how you want to mount the tank before you order. This will allow you to determine exactly which tank to buy based on size, shape, ports and finish.

*FBI brackets/slam specialties bags - Not a bad selection, and a very popular choice on this site. Up until a couple months ago I would tell you to go with this kit hands down. However, since Airlift has finally redesigned their rear kit it is just as good an option. Each choice has their pluses and minuses that you should weigh out yourself. For instance, buying FBI brackets forces you to have to deal with FBI. The nice thing is you can buy the brackets and bags separately. The bad thing about the Easystreet kit is that you have to buy the complete package so you are limited on bag choice. The nice thing is, you have a single source to go back to if something fails, and you don't have to deal with FBI.

*Easy Street air strut or universal air strut???? (I want the lowest and highest lift as possible) - I would definitely go with the Airlift (Easystreet) strut over the Universal Air option. Easystreet may not be the best choice in the world, but it is probably the best in the price range. The Easystreet option can also be done very easily with basic hand tools in your driveway where the Universal Air option requires more extensive modifications and more labor.

*1/2 lines - 1/2" lines are great and the perfect optimization of an air system using 3/8" valves. However, it could definitely be overkill on the xB. The quicker you move the xB the more likely you are to do some sort of structural damage. Or at the very least tweak the unibody. I think you will find 3/8" airline and fittings more than quick enough for you as well as cheaper when it comes time to purchase.

*8 SMC vales for FBSS - SMC makes a great valve as long as you plan to stay below 175 psi. If your plans in the future include some sort of compressed gas (Nitrogen, etc.) and possibly trashing your xB you may want to look into a different valve. However, for the set up you described the SMC 3/8" valve is hard to beat. Especially at their price.

Now for some of the other comments that have been made. The comment about the Airlift/Easystreet strut being the best air strut someone had ever ridden on? I feel bad then. There are much better, more reliable air struts out there. Not that Easystreet has the worst option, but depending on the application there are definitely better choices. I do give Airlift props for being one of the only companies out there to offer "fabricator packages" for builders wanting to put air struts on custom applications.

And for the other comment about Firestone bags "sucking." That comment couldn't be further from the truth. Firestone makes an excellent product with one of the best track records in the entire pneumatics industry. The only reason the get a bad wrap in minitrucker circles is the fact that for the most part minitruckers don't understand what specifications are. How fair is it for someone who installs a product improperly and then exceeds the product specifications only to cause a failure to complain about it? Well that is exactly what happened with minitruckers and Firestone air springs.

Firestone calls out minimum clearances that are rarely followed. They also specify maximum burst and constant pressure which are followed to an even lower extent. 150psi burst and 100 psi constant means just that. You can not expect an air spring to perform beyond it's spec. Will it? O course. Should you count on it to do so, absolutely not.

It is the equivalent to an xB owner telling everyone that the xB sucks because it doesn't do 13 seconds in the quarter. Then the owner puts a hundred shot of nitrous on to make a 13 second pass only to blow the motor. Now the owner _____es because his crappy Scion blew it's motor. But he forgets about the fact that that same car carries him and 3 friends comfortably on the 200 mile trip to the track sipping gas the entire way.

But that is enough rambling from me. To the original poster, do some research in the thread I posted and if you have any specific questions don't be scared to ask. There are lots of options out there if you are willing to look for them.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do you all think of mounting the air tank and compressors underneath the vehical? If driving in the rain, snow, high water, or hot summer days; will it affect anything?

BLACKWAGON: I saw airrunners on some xb at HIN San Diego. I hear tons of great things about airrunner, but its too expensive for me and it's slow in my opinion. I'm looking more for reliable FBSS action at a reasonable cost.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hear you goodluck with your project once you bag a car youll never ride stock again
Old 05-11-2006, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm from California, so I know when you talk about rain, you aren't talking about REAL rain. I know we have gotten some pretty decent storms this year, but nothing compared to most other parts of the country. Living in California (and most anywhere else for that matter) mounting your air management equipment outside the vehicle is not an issue.

There are things you want to avoid, and common sense should tell you that. Things like the high water you mentioned. That is a sure fire way to instantly kill a compressor. And when you talk about snow, I assume you are talking about mountain trips during the winter? If you frequent the snow and freezing temps quite a bit I know you can get some sort of anti-freeze for air brakes from truck supply stores. Living in Central CA though, I don't know anyone here who has ever had to use it. I have friends in other parts of the country who use it as necessary for freezing weather though.

If you take some time to search older posts in this forum you can find examples of how people have mounted their equipment under their vehicles.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions, just ask.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love my bagged box!!! it is the best idea ive had!!! suicide doors hooked me up!!! take a look... 1650 for everything shipped!!!! and it is easystreet airi ride!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

feel free to post pics guys
Old 06-03-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

feel free to post pics guys
Old 06-04-2006, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member

hey check out MIC master image customs at 1749709488
they did my xb and it is tucking 19s post pics soon
Old 06-05-2006, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard they charge an arm and a leg. How they do on the install?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Would like to see some pics. I'm still contemplating between coilovers and air sus.

Quick Reply: Airride Suspension