Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

The Be All End All Tanabe df210 Springs Thread!(pics too)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by mrsocks
Well...The term "rake" always meant lower in the front than the rear. "Dumped" was another term used for the same thing. To be lower in the rear than the front was termed "sittin' L.A." Had a '58 chevy wagon that had the hood so high I couldn't see over it!
Dumped - This term used as a secondary to slammed; However, referred to the back of the vehicle is lower than the front (dumped on it's ****).

Raked - "To have a suspension setup that makes the rear of the car sit higher than the front by a decent margin." UrbanDictionary.com

Sittin' LA - I don't know about this... might be a centralized lingo as I've never heard it, seen it, read about it, spoke of it, googled it... nuttin. First time I've ever read about it was right here. (Don't even ask me about bing... that's a microsoft rehash of yahoo.)

Back on topic
DF210s are highly recommended to anyone who hasn't dropped yet. Ran the suspension through the winter and had only one problem with snow.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now that is WWAAAYYYYY cool! Thanks! Hope your box ends up looking the way you want it to!
Old 04-17-2010, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, here's a question.

I put my df210's on in '06 and loved the ride so much. The roads where I live (last 2 years) are very rough and terrible, thus jarring me like crazy with the potholes. Is there ever a need to replace them? How long before they wear out? If I just replace my shocks and struts (I replaced the shocks and left the stock struts) will it give me a better ride? I don't think the shocks and struts need replacing just yet because I am not getting a "bouncy" ride.

Thoughts?
Old 04-17-2010, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by konsumer
Okay, here's a question.

I put my df210's on in '06 and loved the ride so much. The roads where I live (last 2 years) are very rough and terrible, thus jarring me like crazy with the potholes. Is there ever a need to replace them? How long before they wear out? If I just replace my shocks and struts (I replaced the shocks and left the stock struts) will it give me a better ride? I don't think the shocks and struts need replacing just yet because I am not getting a "bouncy" ride.

Thoughts?
Replace the struts. The DF210s give a nice drop, but the stock shocks (unless they are the upgraded TRD shocks) are not able to handle such a low drop so the shocks eventually blow. The result is an extremely rough response exactly how you have described it.

Recommendations: Replace the stock struts with something capable of handling the lower end. In the process of changing out the struts, replace the stock end-link bushings as well (very easy to do). If you really want a massive improvement, change the lower control arm bushings. The lower control arm bushings take a little extra effort, not to mention I've not seen a walk through for those yet.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info. I did a little searching, but do you know if there is an actual write up for replacing the stock end-link bushings? Looks like it it a fairly cheap and inexpensive mod.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by konsumer
Thanks for the info. I did a little searching, but do you know if there is an actual write up for replacing the stock end-link bushings? Looks like it it a fairly cheap and inexpensive mod.
This is as close as you can get to a decent DIY: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=121

The rest of that thread has some good information and well worth reading regarding how the end-link bushings help. Just be sure to change out the blown struts you currently have.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in the process of installing the DF210s. UPS runs late for me, so I only had time to install the rear springs before it got dark. Three years ago I put on Tein S-Techs and Monroe Sensatracks (Echo struts), bought from a member on here. He ran them for about 10,000 miles and I put another 30,000 on them. Well, the other day I noticed oil EVERYWHERE in the passenger side front wheel well and the strut is leaking like crazy. I ordered the Echo KYB struts and the DF210s since I've been wanting to go lower, and this would be the best time to do it since I have to pull the struts anyways. I still had my old stock struts, so I pulled the top hats off of them and the new springs are mounted on the new struts ready to go to save time tomorrow. I'm looking forward to see how the ride compares between the S-techs and the DF210s.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I currently have Tein S-Techs and am considering df210s for that extra drop. I'm running xxr 501s 16x8 +15 with 205/40/16 tires. I just replaced my rear shocks with KYBs last week. I don't have any rubbing issues unless I have people in the car and it is very minor and only in the rear. Does anyone have a similar setup and have rubbing with the df210s?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Y923
I currently have Tein S-Techs and am considering df210s for that extra drop. I'm running xxr 501s 16x8 +15 with 205/40/16 tires. I just replaced my rear shocks with KYBs last week. I don't have any rubbing issues unless I have people in the car and it is very minor and only in the rear. Does anyone have a similar setup and have rubbing with the df210s?

I have the XXR 513s in 15x7 +15 with 195/60-15 and rub some and I'm still not settled all the way on the DF210s. The rear is still about 3/4" higher than it was with the S-Techs. When they finally settle all the way I will probably rub like crazy, so I went ahead and ordered a set of 195/50s. It looks like yours are about 1 3/4 shorter than mine, so I guess that's not too close of a comparison.

I hope they settle soon, it's been two weeks and I'm tired of looking at the wheel gap.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:57 PM
tcg
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Haven't been here in ages. Hope I didn't overlook another relevant post but -- I'm trying to find some DF210's for an '06 xB, *finally*, for pickup or shipped to D/FW TX area this week.

Seems like the price has gone up a lot since last year.

Where should I be looking, or is ptuning.com still about the best deal there is?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's 200 dollars on ebay, haven't seen anywhere lower searching on yahoo or google. btw been reading and so much about echo struts, i'm lost. do you guys mean stock echo struts or aftermarket struts made for the echo? how do you know which echo strut is compatible with xa or xb or tc since it's echo and not for scion? ... link please.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The part no.'s are on here somewhere. I used to have them but no more. Search the site and find both Monroe #'s for xB and Echo, F & R. I need to see the struts for both, side by side before I make a decision and nobody around here stocks both (Echo and xB struts). Both dealers (Toyota) in this town do not stock the Scion ones and after market places show them as yet unavailable. Odd for cars that have been around for 6 years or so. Good luck, the info is here somewhere!
Socks
Old 09-10-2010, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

toy echo struts, monroe sensatrac #71575

and for shocks/rear, monroe sensatrac #5870

will they fit for the xA and give it another drop?

noob question, shocks come in pairs, does that mean each car only need a pair of shocks on the rear?
so replacing shocks and struts we need to buy 4 struts and 1 pair of shocks?

Last edited by itscurtsk; 09-12-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by itscurtsk
toy echo struts, monroe sensatrac #71575

and for shocks/rear, monroe sensatrac #5870

will they fit for the xA and give it another drop?

noob question, shocks come in pairs, does that mean each car only need a pair of shocks on the rear?
so replacing shocks and struts we need to buy 4 struts and 1 pair of shocks?
You have 2 struts in front, 2 shocks in rear. As for fitment - I dunno, don't have an xA.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks you cleared up so much for me haha. i thought cars have 4 struts and shocks are placed onto the struts ...
Old 09-14-2010, 09:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was playing around with my camera trying to get some good shots of my new underbody lights, but my camera sucks at night time photos. I did get a couple that I though were cool.

The DF210s are clearly visible.
Name:  xb-0330-914008.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  xb-0330-914002.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  48.8 KB
Old 09-14-2010, 09:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it rained =x
Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 PM

Just installed my DF210's this morning.

Front springs took about 30 minutes each side, the only issue I had was the 12mm nuts on top of the strut, the most rearward nut that is tucked in the corner is a beotch to get loose I ended up rounding it a lil and had to use vice grips. The rear springs took 10 minutes total!!

I love the drop and the car handles much nicer now, it feels much more twitchy when cornering and body roll is reduced 50%

Here are some pics the first is before and the rest are after, my tire size is 195/60/15.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks good. Those wheels are great for the price. I put some on a Cavalier with fat 205/60 tires.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a question that I hadn't thought about before. I have beem considering the Echo struts for my box in order to gain (lose?) the 1/2" drop. My box had TRD springs, shocks, and struts installed when it was new. Does any one know how these THREE compare? In other words I could ask how the Echo struts compare to the TRD's that the dealer put on.

Quick Reply: The Be All End All Tanabe df210 Springs Thread!(pics too)