Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-suspension-handling-1606/)
-   -   Brake upgrades (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-suspension-handling-1606/brake-upgrades-83729/)

wanachat15 12-14-2006 03:46 AM

Heat is hot air. Hot air is a form of gas

DarkBoxJr 12-14-2006 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by wanachat15
Heat is hot air. Hot air is a form of gas

:doh:

I really can't tell you to do anything other than learn something about brakes before you continue to post in here. It looks like everything I've said is completely lost on you.

Also, a science class or two wouldn't hurt.

ilikemyxa 12-14-2006 07:28 AM

so let me settle this...darkbox knows his sh!t and i know my sh!t oretty well...if frequent track days/canyon running are far from your sights but you want a little more bite....OEM style rotors and performance pads will do, if you want to look pretty than go for slotted and/or corss-drilled, hell maybe even throw in some stainless steel lines and DOT 4. if you have your sights set in the complete opposite of the latter...slotted rotors, performance pads, lines, and DOT 4 is a must. i would also like to add that wile the slots aren't meant for heat dissapation they do help in doing so...not so much as the vanes in between the rotors...there fair and simple...

wanachat15 12-14-2006 06:40 PM

true dat. peace ma box braddas.

---tom :relief:

Gardiner 12-17-2006 09:11 AM

A NASCAR setup...

http://www.precisionproformance.com/pics/nscr1.jpg

JSosa 12-19-2006 03:43 PM

Ok, after reading all the information given to us by these 2 people i think its time we geta 3rd opinion. I track race my car and i use are aggresive pads (EBC or Hawk), SS lines and DOT 4 fluid. Thats it and thats all it takes, My brakes are INCREDIBLE I outbreak subarus, EVO's and BMW's ALL the time. It part has to do with the light weight and slow speeds, but its still pretty cool to break later and harder than those expensive cars. Im soon going to switch to slotted rotors because they help dissipate the brake dust from the surface of the rotor and brake pads and help keep the pads nice and clean. My brakes do tend to fade, (very little hardly noticeable) after about 6 laps or car beating. The brakes on our cars come excellent even when they are OEM to just do a little adjusting and better parts make a VERY noticeable difference. When the pads are fresh and the rotors trued, you get AWESOME breaking power. As for the solid rotors on race cars, ask them what material they are made from: ceramic, kevlar, etc.. NOT STEEL!! if i had ceramic brakes i wouldnt bother with slotting or drilling , but then you want better braking, slotted if enough for our cars.

By the way, if crossdrilling isnt for anything but looks, why do pratically ALL new mercedes and BMW's come with these rotors?? Im pretty sure they must do something. Im sure mecedes wont drill their rotors for looks.

YourNameHere 12-19-2006 04:23 PM

porsche also drills them...

hotbox05 12-19-2006 06:36 PM

slotted is normally better than drilling because you don't run teh risk of the rotors cracking.

with almost stock setups you will outbrake a lot of cars but imagine outbraking almost all of them .

wanachat15 12-19-2006 07:13 PM

i don't know how to put up links but here's brake up grade thread you can check out. https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...asc&highlight=

DarkBoxJr 12-20-2006 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by JSosa
if i had ceramic brakes i wouldnt bother with slotting or drilling , but then you want better braking, slotted if enough for our cars.

By the way, if crossdrilling isnt for anything but looks, why do pratically ALL new mercedes and BMW's come with these rotors?? Im pretty sure they must do something. Im sure mecedes wont drill their rotors for looks.

Carbon discs/pads oxidize at high temperatures, producing carbon dioxide.

Mercedes and BMW drill their rotors because it looks good.

JSosa 12-20-2006 06:59 PM

^^^^ you just don't give up do you???

YourNameHere 12-20-2006 07:09 PM

there has to be some functional reason for cross drilling rotors...either weight saving or to dissipate heat or pad resurfacing. what ever it is...if there was no advantage racecars wouldn’t have them. a team only puts on a car what is 100% necessary...they dont stuff because it looks good. no on a Scion...its all looks.

I read that the wheels on a Porsche Turbo (996) actually create a whirlwind that moves cool threw the wheel/brake area to help with cooling.

hotbox05 12-20-2006 07:10 PM

it is to dissipate heat , and let excess gases vent.

they make the rotor more prone to cracking and make resurfacing a biotch.

JSosa 12-20-2006 07:13 PM

so what is the verdict on cross drilling and slotting??? Good or bad??

Cross drilling?
Slotting?
Both?
none??

What do you think?? I would go with slots only because cross drilling makes rotors fragile.

YourNameHere 12-20-2006 07:15 PM

cross drilling is over kill for a scion.

Tboneterenzi 12-20-2006 08:18 PM

:blah: scion drama at its finest

YourNameHere 12-20-2006 08:21 PM

^^^ what??

sorry if the technical talk is hard to follow...maybe you will understand when your out of high school

wanachat15 12-20-2006 08:44 PM

wow i tot this discussion would be over already. lolz. i guess there is no form without its dramas.

hotbox05 12-20-2006 09:13 PM

i have slotted discs on mine.

ive never liked the look or the risk of rotor's cracking with drilled rotors.

JSosa 12-20-2006 11:01 PM

to give this topic a well deserved conclusion, the verdict is:

same diameter in front with slotted rotors, agressive pads, SS lines and DOT 4 fluid.
in the rear just get the lines.

DONE!!