Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Driver Side Thump/Clunk Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:19 PM

Default Driver Side Thump/Clunk Noise?

Currently my car seems to have a Thump/clunk noise on certain bumps that I come to on the road. The thump/clunk noise does not always happen. I have looked underneath on both sides. I inspected the cv joints/tie rods/ball joint and don't see any leakage or physical problems(tears). Most of the time the noise would be from the drive side area. I tighten the strut to see if it has came lose and everything seems to be fine. I am kind of the worried side and what is going on. Any suggestions besides going to a dealer?

Btw, I just finished the EndLink Mod for the Front Sway, and still have the noise.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a similar clunking sound, but its when I turn the steering wheel. =/
Old 05-23-2009, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check your front sway bar inner bushings , they may have been damaged while doing the end links.

Depending on the end links you used , the thicker Energy Suspension parts come to mind , see if they are hitting on your axels , happens to some with the longer bolts.

You said that you checked and tightened the strut bolts , you get the nuts ( 17mm IIRC) under the rubber cap? ( asking just to make sure)

May seem crazy but did you have as many tools in you tool box after as you had before ? Know some one that forgot to remove a wrench after doing it , made one hell of a racket.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i have the same problem......check this out, it convinced me, especially the part about lowered vehicles causing excessive wear on the cv joints

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Front...3/article.html
Old 05-25-2009, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you replaced your springs or struts? Mine started having a noise several months after replacing the springs. The nut on top had loosened over time.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Check the fitting kit in your calipers. They would be the brass clips at either end of the brake pads, they are what hold the pad in place inside the caliper. When they wear out the pad starts moving up and down inside the caliper making that noise as you drive over bumps.

They are marked as numbers 47716 and 47717 in the picture below.
They cost about $7.50 each order two of each part number and replace them at both sides
Part number 47716-12070 and 47717-12030

Old 05-26-2009, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm about to just bit the bullet and go to the dealer for a $70.00 oil change and have them do an expection of my front end and whatever else is to be inspected considering my mileage.... they do a "so many" point inspection with an oil change..........and just get any work to be done somewhere else. I hope you XB's don't mind me chiming in
Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

After much investigation......'like turning the radio off, and endless wondering 4 days...lol, i found grabbing my wheel and rocking the car that my motor mounts are shot...
Old 05-29-2009, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

downforceryan, did you find the problem yet? Let me know what it was.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

It could even be as far as the rubber bushings on the strut or the strut itself... Recently mine has developed a nice little thump, and with the help of a real good friend that works at a dealership in town we have gone through the whole suspension on both sides, the sway bar, and everything in between and we cant find it... it could just be that your car is possessed...
Old 05-30-2009, 08:08 PM

I ended up taking apart the driver side front suspension and reassembling it. Our mechanic and I came to the conclusion that the top hat assembly was a nut twist loose.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

so.... problem solved???
Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member

Hey I have a nasty clunk when i turn my drivers side wheel to the left. I has to have weight on it (ie. on the ground not jacked up). I had lowered the car but in efforts to try and solve this issue i raised it back up and was trying to diagnose the problem again and noticed that after turning the wheel left from being straight the drivers side wheel make a clunk noise and the wheel twitches. Its almost like the cv joint is jumping teeth. Other then that there is no noise other wise while moving or going over bumps or anything!!! any ideas???
Old 06-07-2010, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does it almost seem like its in the door. does it sound like that. cuz im having a problem and it sounds like its in the door, but i took everything apart and retightened it all when i put my new speaker in. but still have the clunking noise. i work for the dealership and had some of the mech's look at it and they cant seem to ifnd anything in the door. as for lifting the car and checking suspension. ill wait to hear some replies on whether your all hearing it in the same area as myself.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it’s the spring shifting in the strut. The only thing holding it in the strut is the pressure of the spring and with my lowering springs there is not as much, so it can shift, that’s what I always assumed it was. The strut follows the wheel when you turn.