Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-suspension-handling-1606/)
-   -   easy way to make brakes better? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-suspension-handling-1606/easy-way-make-brakes-better-67790/)

superspud 07-26-2006 02:22 AM

easy way to make brakes better?

is there any cheap ways or quick fixes to make your brakes more responsive? i've noticed lately in my XB that our brakes are actually VERY ____ty.... i've had to make a few quick stops and to be honest, had i not been able to switch lanes i would be in the back of the car in front of me...

it just seems like the brakes could be a lot more responsive... are there any quick fixes to make them better other than replacing the rotors?

evosky 07-26-2006 03:00 AM

maybe upgrade those pads ?
i dunno, big brake kits may be overkill but they get the job done.

Alchemist80 07-26-2006 12:38 PM

wow, the brakes are dang good to me. This thing stops on a dime.

HeathenBrewing 07-26-2006 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Alchemist80
wow, the brakes are dang good to me. This thing stops on a dime.

x2. The brakes are great.

superspud 07-26-2006 03:04 PM

im sorry, but if you think the brakes are good on an Xb you are sadly mistaken.... have you ever driven anything else? my dads toyota tundra stopped better than this thing...

HeathenBrewing 07-26-2006 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by superspud
im sorry, but if you think the brakes are good on an Xb you are sadly mistaken.... have you ever driven anything else? my dads toyota tundra stopped better than this thing...

I have driven well over 20 autos, new and modern, as well as old and obsolete. Sports cars and sport compacts, compact trucks to full sized truckas....Ive driven them all.

I think a lot of it depends on your driving style.

If you are looking to improve upon them though, go for larger rotors and calipers.

RTon20s 07-26-2006 04:39 PM

Step 1: New Pads. Buy a performance pad, not just direct replacement.

Step 2: Steel braided brake lines. This will give a more positive feel to the brakes.

Step 3: Upgraded rotors. Slotted most likely. This will help vent gases and keep the brakes from overheating during extended use.

And not to promote one company over another but, you can find all those parts at http://www.ptuning.com If you use the "ptscionlife" discount code you can get all of the parts for under $350 shipped. And as long as you are changing all of that out, you might as well throw in some synthetic brake fluid. You can probably pick it up locally at a reasonable price.

If that isn't enough for you, I doubt anything else will be. But you do always have the option of upgrading to a big brake kit. Just keep in mind that if you do that, you will need oversized wheels and it will cost you several thousand just for the brake kit.

Good luck.

JSosa 07-26-2006 04:44 PM

These scions do have good stock brakes, compared to everything else in the market (not toyota), it has great brakes. But if your looking for more grip do what i did (and i auto-x regularly):

1.) Pads: Hawk HPS or EBC Green Stuff
2.) Braided SS Lines: Agency Power or Footwork
3.) Brake Fluid: Motul Race fluid
4.) Have them correctly installed and bled.

*Remeber: This will give you GRIP not BITE (big difference). If your looking for bite than your going to have to change the rotors, but in my opinion if you dont race then leave the rotors as they are.

I did these changes to my car and the brake feel reminds me of a porsche we once rented in Miami. ITS THAT GOOD!! The porsche wasnt a high end turbo with ceramic brakes it was a basic convertible carrera, but if your have ever driven a porsche defore you know what i mean. Do as i said and beleive me you WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!

evosky 07-26-2006 06:18 PM

nice explanation on the grip vs. bite, JSosa. ya learn something new every day haha.

SmokingTires 07-27-2006 04:29 PM

I'd say the brakes are great, and I would emphasize how driving style reflects proficiency of the part.

trdsparks 07-27-2006 05:32 PM

SS brake lines will offer the most noticeable difference. They kill that dead pedal feel.

superspud 07-27-2006 05:40 PM

is there any way to adjust the brake pedal? i remember reading an article in SCC about dave coleman adjusting the pedal in an subaru forester...

isnt there away to tightne the brake pedal?

evosky 07-27-2006 05:48 PM

is there any way to adjust the brake pedal? i remember reading an article in SCC about dave coleman adjusting the pedal in an subaru forester...

isnt there away to tightne the brake pedal?

really ? do you know which issue that might be ? i subscribe to SCC so i could browse through my issues and maybe get an idea ...

superspud 07-27-2006 06:46 PM

it was over a year ago b/c dave was still writting the technobable... other than that, i have no idea... its grab a stack and go through all the technobables b/c its one of those... he was converting the forester to drive like a car... he switched a bunch of parts with a WRX

evosky 07-27-2006 06:56 PM

ohhh i think i remember that. he was trying to make it drive like an STi ... yeah i'll look for it.

anyone know if adjusting brake pedal sensitivity is possible ?

superspud 07-27-2006 08:13 PM

i almost 100% sure you can... i've been talking to my buddy who is a mecahnic who drives a nice s14 and he told me to hop down and look under my dash.. follow my brake pedal up to where it goes into the firewall and there should be a screw or nut or somehting that allows you to adjust the tension or amount of slack the pedal has.... im going to check that out thisweekend...

vintage42 07-28-2006 12:03 AM

Re: easy way to make brakes better?

... i've noticed lately in my XB that our brakes are actually VERY ____ty.....

Of all the cars I have had, the xB's brakes are the best. I already had a panic stop and they did great. I would not rate them as ____ty.

superspud 07-28-2006 12:29 AM

i guess im the only one here who has had brakes that were MUCH better.....

Jhhnn 07-28-2006 01:48 AM

Fatter grippier tireswill improve dry pavement stopping distance on many cars, and the steel braided brake hoses improve pedal feel...

Aftermarket pads and drilled/slotted rotors don't necessarily improve panic braking, because that's not what they're supposed to do. They're supposed to improve longevity, heat resistance and fade under continuous hard use, and may actually exhibit reduced performance and higher pedal pressure at low temps...

Turning off the antilock feature on the brakes can improve dry pavement stopping distance for extremely expert drivers, and I do not recommend that anybody do it on street cars... that may or may not be the case with Scions, dunno...

JSosa 07-28-2006 04:16 AM

When i go racing with my scion i do turn off the ABS, it really gets in the way when your trying to get the max out of the brakes. I still think your best bet in the SS lines, for improved brake feel, without a doubt.