Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

How do i combat brake dust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:42 PM

Default How do i combat brake dust?

I just got new rims for my Xb and had to get new brake pads. Now im getting this thick layer of brake dust building on my rims. The brake pads are "low-dust" so why is this happening? Do i need to get different rotors? Please let me know whats goin on?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member

hey bro to be totaly honest the cheaper the pad the better it is, any pad that says it is low dust or that it is less noisey are the worst
Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 PM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe you're braking to much hehe.

You do not need different rotors. But you probably need a different set of brake pads. Try Axxis deluxe plus or go back to the sumitomo (OEM brake pads)
Old 08-28-2007, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could get a magnetic disk that fits behind the rim that collects break dust, but those are pretty lame, it's just a thing that happens... it's a good excuse to wash the box more often, keep her nice and clean and shiny!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: How do i combat brake dust?

Originally Posted by Xbizze4Shezze
I just got new rims for my Xb and had to get new brake pads. Now im getting this thick layer of brake dust building on my rims. The brake pads are "low-dust" so why is this happening? Do i need to get different rotors? Please let me know whats goin on?
My Chrysler 300M used to have a serious brake dust problem. The fronts and backs are both disks, and although they both got that reddish brown dust, the fronts were MUCH worse. Anyway, I put my third set of front pads on about 30k ago (the car is at 130k miles now). They were the "premium" pads that were to reduce dust among other things.

They worked!

In fact, I can go several months without washing (which I do a lot) and the back pads have that dark brown look but the fronts have absolutely NO dust at all. They are dirty of course, but is is dirt and road grime. I am so sold that I still have the box for when I replace the rears. When I get home I'll try to remember to email you the brand.

I am beyond sold on these things.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: How do i combat brake dust?

Originally Posted by Xbizze4Shezze
My Chrysler 300M used to have a serious brake dust problem. The fronts and backs are both disks, and although they both got that reddish brown dust, the fronts were MUCH worse. Anyway, I put my third set of front pads on about 30k ago (the car is at 130k miles now). They were the "premium" pads that were to reduce dust among other things.

They worked!

In fact, I can go several months without washing (which I do a lot) and the back pads have that dark brown look but the fronts have absolutely NO dust at all. They are dirty of course, but is is dirt and road grime. I am so sold that I still have the box for when I replace the rears. When I get home I'll try to remember to email you the brand.

I am beyond sold on these things.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:08 AM

Thanx guys that helps out cause that was really ____in me off
Old 09-01-2007, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Axxis Deluxe ...no more problems