Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-suspension-handling-1606/)
-   -   I Think My Breaks (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-suspension-handling-1606/i-think-my-breaks-82969/)

eddiehart 12-04-2006 06:54 AM

I Think My Breaks

are going out but I dont know if they are.

Everytime when Im coming to a stop light and I begin to break, the breaks make this loud grinding noise. Does this mean I need new breaks or need break fluid or need new pads or get them cleaned? I dunno its weird tho, I barely have only had this xA for about 6 months and theyre already going out.

Is it cheaper to go to a shop or to Toyota? and do you think its under warranty?

somebody help!! :nails:

moose_head 12-04-2006 10:20 AM

Brake pads are not normally covered under warranty. However, if there is something wrong with your brakes, and they are wearing out much sooner than they should they might be. It all depends on the dealership.
As for the problem, the brakes seem like a logical place to start.

nikkisantoro 12-04-2006 10:48 AM

break pad s are not covered under warranty, unless its a really special case... if you had youre car for only six months and its brand new than take it back to the dealer and explain youre symtoms, does it do it in the morning ? after driving for a couple of minutes, etc. be as detailed as possible when explaining youre concern.... best of luck.....

ROBs-xB 12-04-2006 02:56 PM

its probably not the brake pads if you've only had the car for 6 months..
it might be that a brake drum or something might have burst and it causes some brake fluid to leak out causing that noise.. but im not sure i would get that checked out

dexter_5000 12-04-2006 04:50 PM

you could have a stuck caliper and that would cause premature brake pad wear as well.

bB2NER 12-04-2006 08:49 PM

On somethoing that new, get it looked at under warranty. If they say it will cost you anything say sorry and go to different dealer and get it fixed. There should be no reason for this sort of problem with that low of miles. I've got 30K and still on OEM brakes. I've even auto crossed and abused the heck out of them. Sounds like something is def. wrong.

RTon20s 12-04-2006 09:22 PM

I usually won't go to a dealer for work like brakes. If I can do it myself I will (but I hate doing brakes). Otherwise I will take it to a local reputable shop. I have one in my area that can do the work and supply parts for less than what I pay for parts.

It sounds like you might have a problem I ran into on my Dakota when it was brand new. My stock brake pads actually cracked and separated from the backer. I had a local shop replace the pads and paid for it out of pocket. I then took the destroyed pads to the dealer for reimbursement. (After documenting with pictures first.) It took about two months, but I got my money back for the parts and labor on the new pads.

pandaslayer 12-04-2006 09:45 PM

B-R-A-K-E

it's not that hard